Doug tharme

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Roday1878
----------
----------
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Roday1878 »

Surely you would much rather watch a player who plays with passion, no ego and is hungry to progress up the pyramid, rather than a player who is at a club for a final pay day, such as Dobbie at Fylde and Clayton Donaldson who looks set to join York.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Roday1878 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:53 am Surely you would much rather watch a player who plays with passion, no ego and is hungry to progress up the pyramid, rather than a player who is at a club for a final pay day, such as Dobbie at Fylde and Clayton Donaldson who looks set to join York.
As long as they are capable of passing the football to another player in yellow (preferably on the grass) I'm not bothered.
Last edited by GeorgeCarrExcavation on Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Sand74 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:01 am
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:14 pm
Tangled Up In Yellow wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:44 pm

Trundle was signed from Stalybridge, who weren't a lowly club at the time. Perhaps you could provide a list of players signed from lower clubs who have not made it to a higher level. It could take you quite a while.
Pay attention TUIY, WE bought Trundle from Stalybridge (for £16k) and sold him to Rhyl for £2.50 with no sell on. Rhyl sold him to Swansea for like £50k.

But yes we have had lots of lower league failures but also many higher up failures too. To judge a player before they have kicked a ball is madness.
A Pedant writes....

He was actually signed by Wrexham from Rhyl.
Missed that.... :oops:

Point stands as Wrexham were Div 2 back then, so for them to sign from lowly Rhyl....

There are plenty of examples that Vardy bloke has been a shocker of a signing everytime he stepped up a level.

Ultimately, most importantly I will not crucify a lad before he has kicked a ball in anger for us. He could be the next big thing he could be a three legged donkey but I will judge him on what he does not his background. Anyone who does should have a very long hard look at themselves in a mirror and I dearly hope none of you actually have the power to employ anyone in your lives.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:21 pm
Sand74 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:01 am
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:14 pm

Pay attention TUIY, WE bought Trundle from Stalybridge (for £16k) and sold him to Rhyl for £2.50 with no sell on. Rhyl sold him to Swansea for like £50k.

But yes we have had lots of lower league failures but also many higher up failures too. To judge a player before they have kicked a ball is madness.
A Pedant writes....

He was actually signed by Wrexham from Rhyl.
Missed that.... :oops:

Point stands as Wrexham were Div 2 back then, so for them to sign from lowly Rhyl....

There are plenty of examples that Vardy bloke has been a shocker of a signing everytime he stepped up a level.

Ultimately, most importantly I will not crucify a lad before he has kicked a ball in anger for us. He could be the next big thing he could be a three legged donkey but I will judge him on what he does not his background. Anyone who does should have a very long hard look at themselves in a mirror and I dearly hope none of you actually have the power to employ anyone in your lives.
As far as I know nobody has crucified any individual before he has kicked a ball for Southport FC. the point made was merely if you continue to sign players from the lower leagues the chances of progression & making a tilt at promotion lessen, if you are saying our aim is North West Counties football then we might be onto a winner, our record in the last few seasons is hardly a success story. If the cupboard is bare & finances are tight fair enough "it is what it is"......who said that?
Kempster911
----------
----------
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:39 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Kempster911 »

portexileinbath wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:23 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:50 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:32 pm

Accrington signed a striker from a lowly non league club and he went on to be one of their star players last season he also made his senior debut for N Ireland :roll: :oops:
You just dont get it. Watson meandering around at level zilch
is a world away from the accrington scenario.
Have you ever thought about a career in movies ?. I am sure you have all the skills required to do the sound effects for porno's. It would guess it pays well, so perhaps you could put some money into Port's transfer funds, it would help us to look at better players...... So moan on if you think it will help the club.
Your selfless suggestion is under serious consideration, however a financial
hand-out does appear a tad foolish considering better players can be viewed
free of charge.

All in all will probably continue to moan on .......
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Roday1878 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:53 am Surely you would much rather watch a player who plays with passion, no ego and is hungry to progress up the pyramid, rather than a player who is at a club for a final pay day, such as Dobbie at Fylde and Clayton Donaldson who looks set to join York.
Bit harsh on Dobbie and Donaldson…both have clear local links to both clubs and yes, probably is a final payday. But who can really fault them? Making the most of their careers before they inevitably retire in a year or so.

Steve Jennings, however. That’s the example you need to use of how bad signing an ex pro can be.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Bobby
----------
----------
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Bobby »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 pm
Steve Jennings, however. That’s the example you need to use of how bad signing an ex pro can be.
I see you and raise you a Lee Croft
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:41 pm
As far as I know nobody has crucified any individual before he has kicked a ball for Southport FC. the point made was merely if you continue to sign players from the lower leagues the chances of progression & making a tilt at promotion lessen, if you are saying our aim is North West Counties football then we might be onto a winner, our record in the last few seasons is hardly a success story. If the cupboard is bare & finances are tight fair enough "it is what it is"......who said that?
Deciding he is crap based on his providence is crucifying him in my book.
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Bobby wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:59 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 pm
Steve Jennings, however. That’s the example you need to use of how bad signing an ex pro can be.
I see you and raise you a Lee Croft
You win!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Redrobe fan »

How about Neil Woods?


Nevertheless, I think that people are being harsh with ASP. He makes a valid general point; he wasnt particularly aiming at Tharme, but it would have been better in a separate thread.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Doug tharme

Post by portexileinbath »

Kempster911 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:01 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:23 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:50 pm
You just dont get it. Watson meandering around at level zilch
is a world away from the accrington scenario.
Have you ever thought about a career in movies ?. I am sure you have all the skills required to do the sound effects for porno's. It would guess it pays well, so perhaps you could put some money into Port's transfer funds, it would help us to look at better players...... So moan on if you think it will help the club.
Your selfless suggestion is under serious consideration, however a financial
hand-out does appear a tad foolish considering better players can be viewed
free of charge.

All in all will probably continue to moan on .......
Phew, thank god you saw the funny side..... I can't move much further south.
Give the team and LW a chance before resorting to moaning. The young players need encouragement and all the help the "home crowd" can give, it brings self belief and a feeling of belonging to the team, constructive critisism is good, but not before a ball has been kicked.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:14 am
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:41 pm
As far as I know nobody has crucified any individual before he has kicked a ball for Southport FC. the point made was merely if you continue to sign players from the lower leagues the chances of progression & making a tilt at promotion lessen, if you are saying our aim is North West Counties football then we might be onto a winner, our record in the last few seasons is hardly a success story. If the cupboard is bare & finances are tight fair enough "it is what it is"......who said that?
Deciding he is crap based on his providence is crucifying him in my book.
I think you might be meaning Provenance, look it up in your book........ ;)
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:58 pm
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:14 am
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:41 pm
As far as I know nobody has crucified any individual before he has kicked a ball for Southport FC. the point made was merely if you continue to sign players from the lower leagues the chances of progression & making a tilt at promotion lessen, if you are saying our aim is North West Counties football then we might be onto a winner, our record in the last few seasons is hardly a success story. If the cupboard is bare & finances are tight fair enough "it is what it is"......who said that?
Deciding he is crap based on his providence is crucifying him in my book.
I think you might be meaning Provenance, look it up in your book........ ;)
You mean he doesn't come from Rhode Island with divine backing? Bloody autocorrect....
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Doug tharme

Post by portexileinbath »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:17 pm
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:58 pm
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:14 am

Deciding he is crap based on his providence is crucifying him in my book.
I think you might be meaning Provenance, look it up in your book........ ;)
You mean he doesn't come from Rhode Island with divine backing? Bloody autocorrect....
I have just be chicken it out, did he used to be "a rhode island red" ? :lol:
yellowfever
----------
----------
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by yellowfever »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:57 am
Bobby wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:59 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 pm
Steve Jennings, however. That’s the example you need to use of how bad signing an ex pro can be.
I see you and raise you a Lee Croft
You win!
Steve Jennings?
Don't forget Steven Schmacher, Adam Dugdale, Iain Turner and John Paul-Kissock either..
The biggest batch of ex pro's queuing up for final pay cheques with 2 year contracts...laughing all the way to the bank..Bet they've got fond memories of their time at SFC..
Bobby
----------
----------
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Bobby »

yellowfever wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:30 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:57 am
Bobby wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:59 pm

I see you and raise you a Lee Croft
You win!
Steve Jennings?
Don't forget Steven Schmacher, Adam Dugdale, Iain Turner and John Paul-Kissock either..
The biggest batch of ex pro's queuing up for final pay cheques with 2 year contracts...laughing all the way to the bank..Bet they've got fond memories of their time at SFC..
Wrong on a number of fronts but never mind.
yellowfever
----------
----------
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by yellowfever »

Good luck to Doug Tharme and Charlie Munro at SFC and any other young lads trying to prove themselves at a higher level.
I'm sure they'll be better value to the football club than the bunch of washed up non heroes mentioned above.
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

I loved JPK so I won't hear a bad word against him. Lovely player with lovely hair.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellowfever wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:30 pm
Don't forget Steven Schmacher, Adam Dugdale, Iain Turner and John Paul-Kissock either..
The biggest batch of ex pro's queuing up for final pay cheques with 2 year contracts...laughing all the way to the bank..Bet they've got fond memories of their time at SFC..
Final pay cheques?
We signed Kissock at the age of 21 for nothing and sold him to Luton Town for a fee and he was still playing football 9 years later.
Hardly bad business. We'd probably have been relegated in 2010-11 without him.
Last edited by Ralphy Rylance on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Redrobe fan »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:38 am I loved JPK so I won't hear a bad word against him. Lovely player with lovely hair.
IIRC we made a few bob on him too.

He isnt an appropriate subject for this debate.
Last edited by Redrobe fan on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply