Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Re: Doug tharme

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:20 pm
yellowfever wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:30 pm
Don't forget Steven Schmacher, Adam Dugdale, Iain Turner and John Paul-Kissock either..
The biggest batch of ex pro's queuing up for final pay cheques with 2 year contracts...laughing all the way to the bank..Bet they've got fond memories of their time at SFC..
Final pay cheques?
We signed Kissock at the age of 21 for nothing and sold him to Luton Town for a fee and he was still playing football 9 years later.
Hardly bad business. We'd probably have been relegated in 2010-11 without him.
I mean in one respect we were relegated, so maybe we wouldn't have won the AGM Cup without him....
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:21 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:38 am I loved JPK so I won't hear a bad word against him. Lovely player with lovely hair.
IIRC we made a few bob on him too.

He isnt an appropriate subject for this debate.
Agreed.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:53 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:38 am I loved JPK so I won't hear a bad word against him. Lovely player with lovely hair.

Agreed.
FWIW His individual performance against Luton Town at home was probably the best I have ever seen from a Southport Player since the Golden Days.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Redrobe fan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:58 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:53 pm

Agreed.
FWIW His individual performance against Luton Town at home was probably the best I have ever seen from a Southport Player since the Golden Days.
Also agreed RF ;)
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

JPK was worth the entrance fee alone, though I couldn't comment on his return under Mark Wright.

Currently dicking-about in some lowly league apparently.

I'd happily have players like him in a team that never gets promoted, than Southgate our way back to the Conference.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I'm talking about the JPK that turned up in 2017 finished as a player-not the one in 2010/11 who thrilled fans-including me.
I would have thought that that was clear when I referred to him in the same breath as Stephen Jennings, Steven Schumacher,Adam.Dugdale ,Iain Turner or does nobody remember that huge waste of money?
Obviously not...
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

I recall it yellowfever but it was kind of inevitable when you employ two people who hadn’t been involved in management in this country for a combined 15 years so didn’t have any contacts, knowledge of talent at our level & had nowhere near a full team a week before the first friendly. Some got 2 year contracts yet the management team didn’t make two months….
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellowfever wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:56 pm I'm talking about the JPK that turned up in 2017 finished as a player-not the one in 2010/11 who thrilled fans-including me.
I would have thought that that was clear when I referred to him in the same breath as Stephen Jennings, Steven Schumacher,Adam.Dugdale ,Iain Turner or does nobody remember that huge waste of money?
Obviously not...
Fair enough. I have to confess I don't remember Kissock returning let alone have a clue who Iain Turner was/is.
There's been far too much forgettable football and far too many forgettable players in the past decade that I'd prefer not to have my memory refreshed.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

That's a big problem for me RR...Not you in particular, but some Port fans soon appear to forget key situations that have arisen at SFC over the seasons.Whether that is deliberate or a convenience I'm not sure but it certainly seems to cloud some fans judgement.
This is why history of any club should always be logged.
SfcFPA
----------
----------

Post by SfcFPA »

yellowfever wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 pm This is why history of any club should always be logged.
Couldn't agree more which is why promoting the history and heritage of the club is one of the aims of the FPA and written into its constitution.
Bobby
----------
----------

Post by Bobby »

yellowfever wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 pm That's a big problem for me RR...Not you in particular, but some Port fans soon appear to forget key situations that have arisen at SFC over the seasons.Whether that is deliberate or a convenience I'm not sure but it certainly seems to cloud some fans judgement.
It’s funny how you mentioned a group of players who were part of a squad which accumulated 17 points from 8 games until SOMEBODY arrived. You don’t mention the ridiculous waste of money which started on that very day he parked his tank.

You are absolutely right YF, the history of the club should be logged and logged properly. Many stories should be logged which haven’t been…..yet.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellowfever wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 pm That's a big problem for me RR...Not you in particular, but some Port fans soon appear to forget key situations that have arisen at SFC over the seasons.Whether that is deliberate or a convenience I'm not sure but it certainly seems to cloud some fans judgement.
Happy to hold my hand up when I get it wrong.

Got to admit my recollections of 30-40 years ago are clearer than the last decade which seems to have blended into just one long period of mediocrity where one season is indistinguishable from another. The huge turnover of players doesn't help when trying to recall here today gone tomorrow squad members. The off field situations seem to be more memorable than the on field ones.
Certainly not deliberate or a convenience on my part, it just doesn't feel as important to me as it used to and hasn't done since we failed to re-establish ourselves as a competitive club in the 5th tier twice since giving our place up too easily in 2003. :(

I'm hoping some pre-season optimism will arrive soon and will last a bit longer than the end of August this time.

It's good we have excellent historians at the club.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

I still don't really know how we imploded after the Notts County FA cup match and subsequently relegated...we had some really good players that season. Was it Soley getting injured? Wilson being totally inept? A combination of many factors probably but would love to hear from a few of you out there...
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

We wouldn't of gone down if we had kept Wilson.
Weren't we 7th when he got fired? Crazy decision by Clapham.
Mickey Walsh who took over was appalling and obviously the players had no confidence in him and morale fell off the cliff. That last week away at Northwich Victoria (played at Wincham Park,groundshare) and the final day at Stevenage were two massive all time lows for me.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:04 pm We wouldn't of gone down if we had kept Wilson.
Weren't we 7th when he got fired? Crazy decision by Clapham.
Mickey Walsh who took over was appalling and obviously the players had no confidence in him and morale fell off the cliff. That last week away at Northwich Victoria (played at Wincham Park,groundshare) and the final day at Stevenage were two massive all time lows for me.
Yep, apologies...I thought we kept Wilson until the last month of the season. But, after watching Pickford's interview on the website, he notes Wilson left when we were 7th and then gives us an anecdote about Walsh which made him question the appointment! I should have watched Pickford's interview before my last post, haha...answers all the questions really.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Sorry Big Mac 1985 -that's exactly the point I made above...
Fans soon forget the exact facts of situations.
Yellow Taxi has it exactly spot on re 2003...
One of the many appalling SFC decisions-this one firmly labelled at CC's door.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

yellowfever wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:01 pm Sorry Big Mac 1985 -that's exactly the point I made above...
Fans soon forget the exact facts of situations.
Yellow Taxi has it exactly spot on re 2003...
One of the many appalling SFC decisions-this one firmly labelled at CC's door.
I must be a terrible fan then. Sorry, YF.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Wilson was sacked at the end of January. I'm sure we must have been lower than 7th by then. We hadn't won a League game since 9th Nov the week before the Notts County game. I can't find a source of game by game league positions though.
Last edited by Ralphy Rylance on Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Not picking on any one in particular Big Mac 1985- just making the point about some fans getting mixed up with fairly important facts.
No "bad" fans of SFC-we all must be off our trolleys for caring at all these days....
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:54 pm JPK was worth the entrance fee alone, though I couldn't comment on his return under Mark Wright.

Currently dicking-about in some lowly league apparently.

I'd happily have players like him in a team that never gets promoted, than Southgate our way back to the Conference.
Working for his brother now:

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth ... xi-driver/