Squad 21/22

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
mark thomas
----------
----------

Re: Squad 21/22

Post by mark thomas »

Archer was good enough to attract Port Vale following his first spell at HA.
Didn't work out for him there, but agree that with good service he could do really well at Conf N level.
Am hoping George will be ready or close, six months since his injury now, he should be well down the road to recovery.
Also hoping Marcus Wood is fit, he's had a rotten run of injury/illness.
Squad is very young, bit of experience needed?
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Bulk of the new signings in the "wait and see" bracket, they shouldn't be judged before a ball is kicked.

We do need some experience though, the squad was too young last year and since then we have lost Winnard, Hanford and Challoner. It's absolutely right to bring youth through and develop hungry players, but you need a blended approach or you end up with last season's headless chickens 'performances.' We are in the sixth tier and will always be a selling club, moving players into the League is a positive, but it needs to benefit the team as a whole. There is no point developing players and selling them on, if the club's league position and stature remains the same, else you are a glorified academy.

Hopefully next addition is a central midfield leader, of the Moogan, Morley, Kev Lee variety as that's been missing for years. As good as Morgan was technically, I never had him as a captian as he was too quiet. Defensively we look solid centrally, could do with a right back. Carver, Archer and Newell will score goals at this level, Watson can play centrally if we want more pace or alongside Woods is a threat from the wing. It's the engine room that worries me, Benjamin blows hot and cold, Wood is never fit, neither Oliver or Bainbridge have impressed there, I have never seen Munro. Need a big player in there, we lost the midfield battle too regularly last season and that is when we still had David Morgan!

As I have said before, I have no expectations for the team this season. I also get the feeling from fellow posters and supporters, that expectation is much more checked amongst the fan base. We usually go into a National North season looking to be somewhere near the top, I think the mood is a more cautious "let's see what happens" this time round. All very low key. This may be a positive thing. Covid definitely a factor, people like me are more enthusiastic about watching us live and having that sense of normality, rather than bickering over where we should finish. I am sure this purgatorial zen will soon be dispelled on opening day though.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I've never been more apprehensive of a season for a long long time.
I don't have any confidence in the National league board, with last season's severe action against clubs still lingering,leaving bad blood between clubs and can see plenty of emphasis being shoved back onto clubs re getting fans back into grounds.Nothing will change much with the "big" clubs continuing to have a bigger influence than they should.Social distancing looks set to continue in one form or another for me ,whether thats a personal choice with wearing masks or enforced on clubs with reduced capacity.For SFC to have any chance of surviving,we surely have to have our corporate lounge full most weeks and not half empty? The present enclosed setting worries me..especially with the threat of further variants possible this Winter.
Decision making for the board at present must be an absolute nightmare.They have my full empathy.
Then we get to the squad which I'm fully aware isn't finished yet-but just where are the goals coming from? Either creating or scoring them? It's going to be a big ask of a very inexperienced group of players in a very physical demanding league and I can see a big struggle ahead this season-on and off the pitch.
Wait to be slagged off as per but that's just the way I see things this season.As always, I would love to be proved wrong.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Pretty well spot on YF, goals win games twas ever thus...... ;)
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Hitchers wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:35 am Russell Benjamin missing from your list, which is one of those centre mid options, suspect another may be the boy Hmami depending on if he's agreed to sign or just on trial.
According to Wikipedia, Josh Hmami signed a two year contract with us on June 9 2021. It gives the source as SFC Official Site, 21/22 squad details, but I don’t see his name there.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:39 am
Hitchers wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:35 am Russell Benjamin missing from your list, which is one of those centre mid options, suspect another may be the boy Hmami depending on if he's agreed to sign or just on trial.
According to Wikipedia, Josh Hmami signed a two year contract with us on June 9 2021. It gives the source as SFC Official Site, 21/22 squad details, but I don’t see his name there.
Some Google searches say he plays for Southport and others say he is with Marine. He does not however feature on the Marine web site. He is also not listed on the SFC Squad page, as you have stated.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

I think that he may have been on Ports books in the past. He certainly played for Marine last year and I read that he has left them.
The Wiki page seems very sure that he’s with us.
Bit of a mystery!
Hitchers
----------
----------

Post by Hitchers »

Im 99% sure it is him on the training photo posted on here a few weeks back and he was announced to have left Marine around the same time.

Wouldnt believe wikipedia as anyone can edit it, but looks like he is at the very least on a trial with us. Ex Accrington, impressive at Marine, young player looking to step up he fits the bill really. A more attacking centre midfielder by the looks of it, and we are looking to replace Morgan's goals from midfield...
Ancient Mariner
----------
----------

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Interesting re Hmami. Our website said he had definitely moved on.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Just found this on Marine's web site

https://marinefc.com/squad-update-09-06-21/

The following players have now left the club and we wish them well in their future career:

Josh HMAMI

and others
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Hmami signing now announced officially.
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Anyone know what’s happened with Marcus Wood?
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Annonymous_fan wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:28 pm Anyone know what’s happened with Marcus Wood?
Did Liam mention him on his recent podcast? (I haven't listened to it myself)
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

superbike999 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:59 pm
Annonymous_fan wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:28 pm Anyone know what’s happened with Marcus Wood?
Did Liam mention him on his recent podcast? (I haven't listened to it myself)
He didn't, no. His only reference to Marcus Wood was that the acquisitions of Marcus and Liam Edwards three years or so ago rescued that particular season.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

With nearly two weeks until the season begins, what is everyone thoughts on the current squad [30/07/21] and what needs to be added before the 14th?

GK:
Tony McMillan
Cameron Mason

DEF:
Charlie Oliver
Adam Anson
Douglas Tharme
Chris Doyle
Jack Doyle

MF
Connor Woods
Niall Watson
Jack Bainbridge
Josh Hmani
Russell Benjamin
Charlie Munro
Dylan Vassallo

ST:
Jordan Archer
Marcus Carver
George Newell*

* Injured
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Gone to Ashton I think.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Roday1878 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:10 am With nearly two weeks until the season begins, what is everyone thoughts on the current squad [30/07/21] and what needs to be added before the 14th?

GK:
Tony McMillan
Cameron Mason

DEF:
Charlie Oliver
Adam Anson
Douglas Tharme
Chris Doyle
Jack Doyle

MF
Connor Woods
Niall Watson
Jack Bainbridge
Josh Hmani
Russell Benjamin
Charlie Munro
Dylan Vassallo

ST:
Jordan Archer
Marcus Carver
George Newell*

* Injured
Lacks some serious experience. Lots of decent youngsters who are no doubt hungry, but we need a sensible old head or two for me.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:48 am
Roday1878 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:10 am With nearly two weeks until the season begins, what is everyone thoughts on the current squad [30/07/21] and what needs to be added before the 14th?

GK:
Tony McMillan
Cameron Mason

DEF:
Charlie Oliver
Adam Anson
Douglas Tharme
Chris Doyle
Jack Doyle

MF
Connor Woods
Niall Watson
Jack Bainbridge
Josh Hmani
Russell Benjamin
Charlie Munro
Dylan Vassallo

ST:
Jordan Archer
Marcus Carver
George Newell*

* Injured
Lacks some serious experience. Lots of decent youngsters who are no doubt hungry, but we need a sensible old head or two for me.
Agreed, for me we certainly need a tough mobile front man maybe the anticipated sale of Dion will provide us with the funds to get an established non league striker as we may well lack goals to win close games; which I suspect will be the norm.
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

I wouldn't be surprised if the management team have an eye on the season being disrupted again. I can't see us stretching our budget to bring in that experience, unless someone favourable is left without a contract once our rivals have had their pick.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

I bet Tony Gray would score 15 goals a season in Conf N even now, give him a bell.

Only half joking, but with George presumably out for a bit yet, am hoping that Connor Woods can give us a real lift in the final third and that Jordan, Marcus and Niall can get on the end of the service he can provide. Connor's shaping up well.

Only pre-season stuff, but I was heartened by our overall shape and resilience against Huddersfield, defence/mid looked as if they knew what they were trying to do, but as we all know, the real stuff starts Aug 14 against Gloucester.

Don't think complaining about lacking a fat budget really serves any purpose, considering the last 18 months I'm just pleased that we have still have a team to support.