All matches off

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
PortDan1121
----------
----------

All matches off

Post by PortDan1121 »

All of tonights National League North games have been postponed. All 9 of them. This is due to primarily the bad weather. A mixture of frozen pitches and heavy snowfall.

Another match week off. How are we possibly going to cram these fixtures in. Financially and safety have been the big talking points to end the season. Now people have to question whether the season can finish in time. Teams such as Darlington have only played 11 out of 42 games. The most games that have been played is 17. This is still far less than 50%.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: All matches off

Post by portexileinbath »

Long may the bad weather continue. It could save responsible clubs from being sanctioned by the league.
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

Seeing as Kettering have issued a statement saying that they won't play until they either get a grant or fans back and Curzon Ashton were refusing to play last night, that should take Saturday and Tuesday's fixtures out of Southport's hands.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

becbee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:22 pm Seeing as Kettering have issued a statement saying that they won't play until they either get a grant or fans back and Curzon Ashton were refusing to play last night, that should take Saturday and Tuesday's fixtures out of Southport's hands.
I think it’s important that we announce that we also won’t be playing for the same reasons - rather than letting the blame lie with Kettering and Curzon Ashton.
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

Ste_B wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:51 am
becbee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:22 pm Seeing as Kettering have issued a statement saying that they won't play until they either get a grant or fans back and Curzon Ashton were refusing to play last night, that should take Saturday and Tuesday's fixtures out of Southport's hands.
I think it’s important that we announce that we also won’t be playing for the same reasons - rather than letting the blame lie with Kettering and Curzon Ashton.
Actually I think the opposite, sorry. Keep your head down and only declare when you have to. . The League look like they are picking off the teams one by one and the longer we can hold out the better.

Ethically you may be right, but I think we should all declare together when we do. It will give us a united strength against the league committee. It will be very difficult for them to take severe sanctions against a group of teams, one by one they can take punitive action. and isolate those that speak up.

I do believe that when a big declaration is made that it requires the backing of a wave of publicity, radio, television (Sky Sports, BBC, local news), websites etc. . Lots of interviews and information made public. Use the media in our favour, but significantly do it as a group not one by one.

We need to be organised in how a declaration is made and timing is crucial.

Remember we are effectively calling a strike (it is very similar).
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Sadly the league in its “wisdom” is being the Poppies in front of the clowns that run this league.
joebloggs
----------
----------

Post by joebloggs »

Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Arguably slightly of topic.

I’m all for transparency from SFC - which I must say at times is absolutely great to see, however a recent tweet or maybe tweets in particular the one with the wording “The gift that keeps on giving!‘’ ~ doesn’t seem particularly professional, and seems to have been shared out of frustration on the current situation. I totally get this is an incredibly uneasy situation the hierarchy at SFC are in, and by the looks of things are getting nowhere with the National League in resolving this situation but feel recent output on information should be reviewed. Just my opinion.
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

This is getting nasty....Curzon Ashton have today been charged with failing to fulfill 2 fixtures.....I trust Puskas opinion,we need to be very careful here
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:11 pm This is getting nasty....Curzon Ashton have today been charged with failing to fulfill 2 fixtures.....I trust Puskas opinion,we need to be very careful here
If we believe we are right we should stand firm with the group being challenged and be counted at the collective time of need. Far better than hiding in the background and seeing our allies picked off individually. Strength in numbers.

Let AFC fylde and their chums win an increasingly meaningless competition if that’s what they think is important....I for one don’t think it matters a bit this season..
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Roday1878 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:07 pm Arguably slightly of topic.

I’m all for transparency from SFC - which I must say at times is absolutely great to see, however a recent tweet or maybe tweets in particular the one with the wording “The gift that keeps on giving!‘’ ~ doesn’t seem particularly professional, and seems to have been shared out of frustration on the current situation. I totally get this is an incredibly uneasy situation the hierarchy at SFC are in, and by the looks of things are getting nowhere with the National League in resolving this situation but feel recent output on information should be reviewed. Just my opinion.

I disagree entirely. The world has changed. Dignified silence gets you absolutely no where in the modern world.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Sam wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:47 pm

I disagree entirely. The world has changed. Dignified silence gets you absolutely no where in the modern world.
Absolutely correct in this case in my view..
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:11 pm This is getting nasty....Curzon Ashton have today been charged with failing to fulfill 2 fixtures.....I trust Puskas opinion,we need to be very careful here
So have Dulwich Hamlet. Case to be heard by " a sub committee appointed by the Board" on 25th February.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

becbee wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:07 pm
So have Dulwich Hamlet. Case to be heard by " a sub committee appointed by the Board" on 25th February.
They’ll soon be enough clubs to form our own competition next year...
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I agree.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Chippenham town apparently also charged alongside others. Gateshead stated on their site they are not playing at fylde on Saturday too...
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

If we both, us and Kettering, say we refuse to play each other on Saturday, who gets the points - as mentioned in the NL threat letter?
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Let’s donate them to dulwich hamlet.....
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Agree tweets like that shouldn’t come from official channels and should have posted as himself or the individual and not the club or affiliated accounts.

Interesting to see how people view our stance and I’m personally disappointed that we haven’t made a stand publicly beyond the 15/16 team statement as should have all stood together and said not taking the field again. But suppose bit undermined because we have taken the field.

For those quoting on various social platforms and Liam about insolvency the government changed the regulations In March last year to allow a little more slack for directors to explore all opportunities and angles to trade through these unprecedented times. Loans being made available and consideration in exceptional circumstance for applications for those to be grants keeps that wolf from the door for sometime yet.

The league are playing hardball and it needs collective and careful thought as I actually think the League Board are on thin ice in few technical and legal points.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Has anyone asked Vanarama how they feel about the league they sponsor being so cavalier?

The only way we lose face is if we don't back up our words with actions. I'd rather we were expelled from all football but stood by our convictions then bottled it and were not punished.