What can supporters do to help?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
puskas
----------
----------

What can supporters do to help?

Post by puskas »

It would appear this morning that the club has made the jump. We have announced we are not playing anymore league games for now and as a result will be isolated by the National League and no doubt have the whole future of the club threatened by the blazers for having the audacity to stand up to them. Southport FC as we know it is at stake

I'll begin by saying that IMO we are doing the right thing and we have done well to hold off on the announcement for as long as possible, but it was inevitable.

The question I am asking is what we as supporters can do to help the club through this period?

John Glendenning has been busy on here researching other clubs.

There are various things we can do, obviously drawing attention on Social Media, but could we be sending e-mails to the league complaining, or Vanarama (and other sponsors), contact the Media in general (BBC, Granada, newspapers, radio stations nationally and locally).

Pressure can be brought on organisations, information distributed, questions asked. Has the MP been brought up to date? Certainly the The DCMS need contacting and if necessary questioned about their actions.

This can be better coming from supporters rather than club officials because it shows the public backing.

Club officials I would imagine are already busy liaising with other clubs and probably can't be seen to prompt certain actions publicly.

I am writing this hoping that Nicola can work with the club and come up with some suggestions. Maybe the club themselves can speak up and of course Trust in Yellow.

Lets have some ideas please.
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
old gold and black
----------
----------

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by old gold and black »

There is a problem here Neil in regards to Members of Parliament insomuch that Southport`s MP is a member of the ruling party and they seem to be divided on if and when the lockdown should be eased or not. I think we are all fully behind what Ian and Liam have said and it seems many other club officials are expressing their views in similar manners. Unfortunately nobody can make mass protests by lets just say a sit down strike at the entrance to the Mersey tunnel, or would a petition of supporters work if it was gathered via the internet from all the clubs involved and sent to 10 Downing Street? Can I suggest contact with the PFA because lets face it it is in the best interests of their members whose health and welfare apart from earning a living be it from football or other jobs outside the game. One thing is certain this should not become a political argument though my first sentence may seem to imply that I have no doubt that there will be divisions on all sides of the political spectrum but at the end of the day common sense must prevail because none of us want to see clubs going out of business or those involved with those clubs becoming seriously ill.
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

old gold and black wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 pm There is a problem here Neil in regards to Members of Parliament insomuch that Southport`s MP is a member of the ruling party and they seem to be divided on if and when the lockdown should be eased or not. I think we are all fully behind what Ian and Liam have said and it seems many other club officials are expressing their views in similar manners. Unfortunately nobody can make mass protests by lets just say a sit down strike at the entrance to the Mersey tunnel, or would a petition of supporters work if it was gathered via the internet from all the clubs involved and sent to 10 Downing Street? Can I suggest contact with the PFA because lets face it it is in the best interests of their members whose health and welfare apart from earning a living be it from football or other jobs outside the game. One thing is certain this should not become a political argument though my first sentence may seem to imply that I have no doubt that there will be divisions on all sides of the political spectrum but at the end of the day common sense must prevail because none of us want to see clubs going out of business or those involved with those clubs becoming seriously ill.
Much as I have advocated the odd protest or two in the past, a strike or a sit in wasn't quite what I had in mind. :)

I was more thinking about a large number of us targeting emails or phoning or writing to specific sources that maybe could help us out. Just a stranger sending one can get lost in the system or ignored, but a number can draw attention, people directly involved now will surely have a contact in various media organisations Dave Chisnall at Granada or Richard Askham at BBC could be starting points. You have those actions that can be to seek publicity for your cause and those that can be a protest. The latter is something of a last resort for later on.

I am a great believer in the power of joint action. Already Kettering have brought their local BBC to attention and a clip of them lasting two or three minutes has been on BBC Midlands. That was due to seeking publicity. We are not the only club in the North West involved in this and coordinated action can carry a great deal of weight.

The local MP could be encouraged to lobby for action. The local papers could be supplied with reports and given access to club officials and a number of us contacting them can emphasise the seriousness of the situation.

What I am asking is can we as supporters do anything that can be directed at particular people?

Protests can be carried out later.
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Neil I’m sure we used to sing from the banks of the River Ribble to the shores of Fine Janes brook?
I think letters or emails to local sports journalists, MP, and directly at the invisible man Brian Barwick. I think the NL have been frankly appalling during this debacle! They have said virtually nothing and where is the leadership?
SFC, Bradford, Chester and the others clubs who are standing up for common sense need our support they are speaking common sense and it’s about time the league treated us with respect not silence.
Met him on a Monday
----------
----------

Post by Met him on a Monday »

BBC London (Look North equivalent) tonight featured the plight in the National League South. They described it as a civil war and balanced the argument with Welling wanting to continue the season with Dulwich Hamlets wanting the season cancelled if funds don't happen. Whilst not national news it is getting some air play and putting the National League in the spotlight which is what is needed.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Too many clubs standing up to the league now for the league to penalise all.
Once the votes are in N&S will be null and void and everyone knows this.
The league's issue will be how to deal with Dover, who are the only National League side refusing to play.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Gloucester wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:40 pm Neil I’m sure we used to sing from the banks of the River Ribble to the shores of Fine Janes brook?
Definitely.
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

Gloucester wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:40 pm
I think letters or emails to local sports journalists, MP, and directly at the invisible man Brian Barwick. I think the NL have been frankly appalling during this debacle! They have said virtually nothing and where is the leadership?
Not sure Damien Moore moved off his behind unless it's to deny children adequate food. I emailed him at the start of the season where fans weren't allowed into an outside space such as Haig Ave socially distanced but people were allowed into Cinemas etc. No reply off him but then again why be surprised, when has a Tory ever cared about anything in the local community. Moore probs doesn't even know where or what Haig Ave is :lol:
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

I was under the impression that this was a football forum (with an occasional pithy quip or joke), not a political one. Comments about how some clubs are irresponsible with money would be of value, ones about people having children when they cannot afford it is not.... But as you have mentioned it, in some of the cases the use of some common sense, social respobsibility, non reliance on a nanny state, or a pack of condoms might be worthy of consideration.
Damn annoying isn't it when things go off topic !.
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:19 pm I was under the impression that this was a football forum (with an occasional pithy quip or joke), not a political one. Comments about how some clubs are irresponsible with money would be of value, ones about people having children when they cannot afford it is not.... But as you have mentioned it, in some of the cases the use of some common sense, social respobsibility, non reliance on a nanny state, or a pack of condoms might be worthy of consideration.
Was making a point that the local Southport MP doesn't care about the club or the community. As I know a lot of people from this site have emailed him about this issue and have had nothing back. Im sure the club have contacted him also and nothing back. I'd be saying the exact same thing if the local MP was labour.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

PortDan1121 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:27 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:19 pm I was under the impression that this was a football forum (with an occasional pithy quip or joke), not a political one. Comments about how some clubs are irresponsible with money would be of value, ones about people having children when they cannot afford it is not.... But as you have mentioned it, in some of the cases the use of some common sense, social respobsibility, non reliance on a nanny state, or a pack of condoms might be worthy of consideration.
Was making a point that the local Southport MP doesn't care about the club or the community. As I know a lot of people from this site have emailed him about this issue and have had nothing back. Im sure the club have contacted him also and nothing back. I'd be saying the exact same thing if the local MP was labour.
Totally agree, that’s what potentially comes from electing a p o box MP irrespective of political persuasion. I’m afraid thus far he’s a total wet lettuce as far as the football club and community are concerned, he’s a career politician who’s happy to be an out of towner, Johnson drooling puppy dog - a bad combo thus far especially for championing our football club.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

There is a chance that won't change in the future. Obviously previously Labour had a local candidate as it was never a target seat. Now, near enough every prediction sticks Southport as a Labour target and LDs basically no where.

Hopefully if Labour give it full force they don't lose sight that a candidate with local roots is better for everyone.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

To come back on topic in reverse of the title. "What are the Club doing to help supporters". Many of us are continuing to pay our monthly membership or season ticket fees and getting nothing back for it. It would be nice if the Club announced that such supporters would have a reduced or free fee for next season. The Club's recent announcement seems to indicate that they will not be playing further games until the situation becomes clearer.

It is remarkable that the Club and many posters on here, continue to state health and safety of players is paramount, (amongst other reasons). No doubt it is, but I did not see any comment from the Club when one of our players got very excited, having scored a good goal and ran to supporters behind the goal to celebrate with them. One or two days later, the Club announced that two of our players had tested positive, without naming either of them.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

TrickyDicky wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pm
PortDan1121 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:27 pm
Totally agree, that’s what potentially comes from electing a p o box MP irrespective of political persuasion. I’m afraid thus far he’s a total wet lettuce as far as the football club and community are concerned, he’s a career politician who’s happy to be an out of towner, Johnson drooling puppy dog - a bad combo thus far especially for championing our football club.
I think it’s fair to say that Damien Less is like many, many other MP’s, in it for what he can get out of it, and full of his own self importance.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

It's all a bit picky for me as a supporter when a "player celebration" (what seems like years ago) is being dug up and SFC being questioned...
The club needs financial backing now like it's possibly not needed since the 80's.
The club has thanked it's supporters for the membership scheme fees and season tickets sales on numerous occasions and I would suggest that those who can will be asked to continue this.This regardless of whether we've seen football or not.
It's not time for questioning value for money etc-it's a time for backing Ian Kyle and co in a very difficult situation.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

So are you saying that the only people who should have children are those who know they will be in guaranteed employment for 18 years and can be certain that their pay will at least keep pace with inflation?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

"In SOME of the cases".
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

superbike999 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:51 pm To come back on topic in reverse of the title. "What are the Club doing to help supporters". Many of us are continuing to pay our monthly membership or season ticket fees and getting nothing back for it. It would be nice if the Club announced that such supporters would have a reduced or free fee for next season. The Club's recent announcement seems to indicate that they will not be playing further games until the situation becomes clearer.

No point trying to make out that it's a noble gesture to keep on paying it now for nothing in return if you want a reduction next season as compensation.

If you want some money back just cancel your subscription now and resume it next season.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 pm "In SOME of the cases".
Oh ok. So you'd only deny SOME hungry children adequate food.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Anyway , what can we do, well I’m fortunate enough to be able to carry on paying my membership fee. If people can’t afford to do this and I’m sure there are plenty then, charity begins at home absolutely, but just carry on supporting the club whenever the season eventually returns. Loyalty pledges and positivity to the club in future what ever happens are vital. The outlook is considerably better than May 1978 .