What can supporters do to help?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by portexileinbath »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:34 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 pm "In SOME of the cases".
Oh ok. So you'd only deny SOME hungry children adequate food.
How about meeting for a beer or two pre match when we can return to watching the team we both support ?. We can then discuss this, beer is on me. This is a footie forum.
And... No i wouldn't deny any hungry child food or the chance of a decent life, but i would advise SOME people who think that breeding like rabbits when they know they have no way of supporting their litters to consider what future they are making for their children.
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by Ste_B »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:34 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 pm "In SOME of the cases".
Oh ok. So you'd only deny SOME hungry children adequate food.
How about meeting for a beer or two pre match when we can return to watching the team we both support ?. We can then discuss this, beer is on me. This is a footie forum.
And... No i wouldn't deny any hungry child food or the chance of a decent life, but i would advise SOME people who think that breeding like rabbits when they know they have no way of supporting their litters to consider what future they are making for their children.
It would appear sales of the Daily Mail are relatively unaffected in the Bath area.

Those who have emailed the Southport MP in the past with will know, word for word, how he feels on this - or any other issue.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm

How about meeting for a beer or two pre match when we can return to watching the team we both support ?. We can then discuss this, beer is on me. This is a footie forum.
And... No i wouldn't deny any hungry child food or the chance of a decent life, but i would advise SOME people who think that breeding like rabbits when they know they have no way of supporting their litters to consider what future they are making for their children.
I'm confused to be honest. You say keep politics off a footie forum but you were happy to have a pop at Keir Starmer here on 27th January, just 4 days after advocating that our players should be paid with redistributed wealth from Premier League players which all sounds a bit socialist to me.

Save the beer money, donate it to a worthy cause if you wish. I'd recommend the Southport FC Community Foundation which runs a breakfast club at Haig Avenue when we're not in lockdown and also distributed food hampers and fitness and wellness packs over the Christmas period.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by Port on the Kent »

old gold and black wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 pmOne thing is certain this should not become a political argument
Well, you tried.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:13 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by John Glendenning »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:19 pm I was under the impression that this was a football forum (with an occasional pithy quip or joke), not a political one. Comments about how some clubs are irresponsible with money would be of value, ones about people having children when they cannot afford it is not.... But as you have mentioned it, in some of the cases the use of some common sense, social respobsibility, non reliance on a nanny state, or a pack of condoms might be worthy of consideration.
Damn annoying isn't it when things go off topic !.
Dude, read your own words above, then perhaps critique them alongside the words of the post which inspired you to react. Politics is NOT simply centered exclusively upon political parties. To believe that is to fail to appreciate the fact that when you see an iceberg, most of its' mass is invisible to you.

Politics is about our attitudes towards each other, society and the ways we see relationships (such as economic or social) within it. As this is indeed a football focused forum, I will pontificate no more.

Pressuring our MP - in whichever constituency we live - is always worth a go. How much reaction we get and how much use to our cause said reaction might be is not as important as the weight of concern landing in his or her inbox. The greater the volume of correspondence, the more primed said MP is likely to be and therefor the more likely it is that some interest will be taken in the issue.

For the record, as far as I know, the MP for Southport does not live within the constituency (the stipulation for qualification is that there is an address within the boundary registered to said MP). In common with most Members of Parliament, the bulk of his local correspondence is handled at the first instance by his Constituency assistant (a sort of local Secretary; most often his campaign manager). Ambition dictates that a lot of focus will be directed towards realizing said political / personal ambitions and this focus will be mainly directed towards Parliament and party. All MP's become "interested" during electoral cycles or if they perceive potential lasting damage to future electoral prospects. Sadly, the calculation is likely to have been that "the damage" potential with regards to a football club with a small support base (relative to the size of population) is less than the effort required to weigh into the argument on the side of our club.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:13 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by John Glendenning »

Still worth writing to/ emailing him though.
old gold and black
----------
----------
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by old gold and black »

Port on the Kent wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 pm
old gold and black wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 pmOne thing is certain this should not become a political argument
Well, you tried.
I still maintain that we should not be debating political rights or wrongs from whatever side of the fence we support. As a die hard lifelong trade unionist and shop steward I could lay into politicians like there was no tomorrow and having said that I could do the same about some of my fellow trade unionists. Scoring political points is not the answer to the current problem that Southport FC and many of their fellow clubs face so stop this childish rhetoric and write to your MP or your local media outlets and let them know that you are concerned for the health of the players and staff and the survival of your club. You may not get a response but at least you will have tried, from my experience I have in the past always received acknowledgement when I have written to MPs.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Well said OGAB.
MPs usually do respond, and they do so to matters far more trivial than this. If even half a dozen constituents wrote to him - preferably not in identical wording - it would have some effect.
Sam
----------
----------
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by Sam »

It does however seem a tad ironic that the side of the political spectrum that is calling for the protection of free speech, and its not difficult to tell which side the members of the forum who are moaning about criticism (bunch of snowflakes could ironically be labeled here) is also trying to tell people what they can and cannot talk about.

The situation we find our selves in is entirely a political one, denying the discussion around that and telling people to move on does not help the discourse. This is identical to the argument in Texas now who are blaming 'greenist lefties' for the being wrong and if global warming was real why are they having snow? Or that some of their wind turbines being frozen means Oil is king. It's political because they are discussing seceding from America, they have their own power grid for political reasons but at the same time they expect Federal help.

I do also appreciate the wishful thinking that writing to Damien Moore will achieve anything. It won't and we know this, there is very recent documented history of him not responding, banning those who disagree with him and then flat out just deleting his social media posts. It is not political to moan about that, despite him being a politician, because that is fact. He's been our MP for 4 years, the Tories in power for 10. Criticism is not political point scoring.

Point scoring would be questioning why the MP for Southport keeps submitting expenses for trains to London from Preston when he claims he lives here? Seems an odd thing to do when the best routes for Southport residents would be from a Southport train station going via Wigan or Liverpool. Thats point scoring because it's entirely irrelevant to the pandemic and the discussion around funding for football clubs or how responsive he is to letters.

tl:dr. I'm not a member of a union or a political party. Damien Moore is crap, he's your guy we get it, but he's crap. Anyone else probably would be crap too, and we'd rightfully call him out as people did John 'Re-renting office expenses scandal' Pugh but just because he's wearing your colour rosette doesn't mean we should shut up about it. However the local councillors to the club (no idea who they are, i don't live in Kew) may be better placed to provide some sort of statement about how they appreciate Southport protecting their local residents by not wanting to encourage unnecessary travel to the area while trying to ensure Kew and the wider town have the football club as a heart of the community for another 100 years and not trying to gamble their future on loans. Find out who the Kew councillors are and write to them, especially since its local elections at some point. Or just continue to visibly voice support for the club at every opportunity and be as vocal as possible on social media. Feel free to write to Damien, maybe a cordinated one from TiY would get a response, but dont be surprised to hear nothing, and not be surprised if people moan at him for that.
becbee
----------
----------
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by becbee »

To be brutally honest, at the moment the fate of non league football clubs is pretty low on the Govt's agenda. Sure, some individual MPs might well care about votes to send constituents a sympathetic reply but that's as far as it will get.
Maybe the Wealdstone fans should write to their own MP Boris Johnson?
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Councillors can be found here.
https://modgov.sefton.gov.uk/mgMemberIn ... LIST&PIC=0
In keeping with our current and former kits the club's current local councillors are of the red or yellow variety.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Michael
----------
----------
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by Michael »

becbee wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:37 am To be brutally honest, at the moment the fate of non league football clubs is pretty low on the Govt's agenda. Sure, some individual MPs might well care about votes to send constituents a sympathetic reply but that's as far as it will get.
Maybe the Wealdstone fans should write to their own MP Boris Johnson?
Apologies for being pedantic but Boris is MP for Uxbridge not Wealdstone
becbee
----------
----------
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by becbee »

Michael wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:17 pm
becbee wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:37 am To be brutally honest, at the moment the fate of non league football clubs is pretty low on the Govt's agenda. Sure, some individual MPs might well care about votes to send constituents a sympathetic reply but that's as far as it will get.
Maybe the Wealdstone fans should write to their own MP Boris Johnson?
Apologies for being pedantic but Boris is MP for Uxbridge not Wealdstone
Wealdstone play in Ruislip which is within Boris' constituency. I only know this because he sent them a letter of congratulations upon their promotion.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: What can supporters do to help?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

It comes across as a bit patronising to be advised to write to our local back bench MP by a fellow of the Institute of Economic Affairs, an organisation that has the ear of government ministers and offers its donors access to them. I'm sure the IEA's methods are far more influential than a half a dozen letters and emails from football fans.

Perhaps we should have a whip round for a confidential donation.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Post Reply