Season declared null and void

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Re: Season declared null and void

Post by PortDan1121 »

Gilbert69 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:33 pm Correct decision . Tough one for the club now though regarding season ticket holders and members . I dont expect any sort of refund but would expect rather large discounted prices next season
I agree. Last year when the season ended early refunds were not given for season ticket holders. Also for those people who bought individual match tickets, there were not refunded. I know a few people who purchased the "4 for 3" offer last season that did not receive a refund. They only got to see one of the 4 games they had paid for. Offer here: https://southportfc.net/march-offer-4-f ... rice-of-3/ As much as the club needs the money. In order to keep people coming back, you have to give out refunds.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Correct decision, but there will be further issues:
Some clubs are looking to take legal action against the decision
I'm certain that there will be a motion of no confidence in the NL board in the way they have managed this season and lead the clubs up a garden path assuring them grants would be available throughout the season when this was never promised. This will come out via a freedom of information act that has been requested.

Covid won't go away. No idea if or how next season will continue. This all depends on how well the vaccination process works and the government rules to follow.
Sand74
----------
----------

Post by Sand74 »

yellowrebel wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:35 pm I presume the 30 K a month from the government will also stop 🤔
Probably get similar through Furlough
Formerly known as Lurch (S.F.C)
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Thank goodness for this decision but one that has been far too long coming from a National league board that is totally out of touch and bordering incompetent.
The stress levels for Ian Kyle and Liam Watson must have been through the roof this last few weeks and first and foremost- we all as supporters need to remember that.
I hope their our no repercussions for SFC from the farce of a season-one that should never have started.The heavy price of losing our top scorer George Newell for the foreseeable is on it's own to me a big enough price to pay and yet another headache for our Management-one that shouldn't be underestimated (but probably will be by some)
As for the Fyldes and Yorks of this World (not the self centered opportunist Chorley) I can hear them shouting from the roof tops now about this and pursuing every avenue possible for "justice".
Any complaints they have, should go to their pathetic National league board who led clubs up the garden path from day one..
Time for that restructure of the leagues now-and no excuses because they have the time on their side...
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

Although the right decision out of those offered by the league has eventually been made. IMO it still isn't the equitable decision, especially as this morning a number of clubs will be sat down considering what action they can take to keep the season going. Remember this hasn't been passed by an over whelming majority, so quite a few clubs are going to be very upset. Plus we could easily have been one of those clubs if Phil Hodgkinson was still here investing a lot of money. Yes, there is the Covid angle to consider, but we might well have been like Boston, Fylde, York etc, who are seeing a big investment effectively wasted and no doubt thinking about legal action.

I know I have said this in an earlier thread and I have mentioned it on other forums but I think the decision should have been to let clubs finish for the season if they wanted to. Hence the clubs that wanted to carry on should have been allowed to carry on and eventually decide promotion between themselves.. Giving each club it's own choice in how to deal with the situation.

The league would erase the results involving the clubs that are finishing for the season (like Southport) and adjust the fixtures accordingly, then carry on. After the season a decision would have to be made with the intention of a 22 club season again in August. I use the word "intention" because we don't know what the Covid situation will be in August.

The clubs that wanted the season to carry on in most cases have very valid points, as do the clubs that wanted the season to end.

This would have been too simplistic for the National League who not only have made a mess of the finance for clubs and the lack of Covid testing, they also have been too inflexible and devoid of imagination in solving the problem.

The right decision has definitely been reached from a Southport perspective and I think the club have handled things really well, especially the way they avoided making an announcement for as long as they did. But the clubs who wanted to carry on have a right to be upset by it, and remember what would thoughts have been if we had spent a lot of money and it was effectively wasted.
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

You're probably right about clubs who wished to carry on being allowed too (although I've no idea how it would work) with investment into the season etc( hasn't every club invested for the season though?) but again that's no body else's fault other than their National League board..

It's not Southport FC's or Curzon Ashtons fault that we've reached this stage and clubs like AFC Fylde need to remember that.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

If we're sticking with the argument that it's not safe to carry on playing then I can't see how we can give our blessing to other clubs in the same division to carry on playing if they want to.
Throwing money at a potential promotion doesn't make people immune.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Since April last year making long term plans has been a gamble, whether booking a holiday or planning to see friends or investing in a promotion push. I expected once we started we would finish but plenty on here didn't. If a PortChat poster can see it as a potential outcome then a Football club management and ownership should be able to....
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:44 am If we're sticking with the argument that it's not safe to carry on playing then I can't see how we can give our blessing to other clubs in the same division to carry on playing if they want to.
But clubs were not asked for the reason why they wanted the season to be declared null and void, and no one has suggested playing any more matches.

The statement from the NL board says that they will be going to the FA, and that issues of promotion and relegation will be discussed. Fylde's win at York gives them a better "points per game" than Gloucester, so they could yet go up, as King's Lynn did last season. Or they could engineer some form of playoff!? Who knows.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Mr Ah Yes wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:58 am
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:44 am If we're sticking with the argument that it's not safe to carry on playing then I can't see how we can give our blessing to other clubs in the same division to carry on playing if they want to.
But clubs were not asked for the reason why they wanted the season to be declared null and void, and no one has suggested playing any more matches.

I'm referring to the posters who are saying that clubs that want to carry on with the season should be allowed to.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Whatever the epidemiology, the current political climate about the re-opening of the economy suggests to me that the season will indeed open in August.

Port would be in the same position even if the NL should decide to let some clubs continue in a mini-league.

I'm starting to ponder on what this will mean to the squad. Who will stay, who will go, what strengthening will be required, when will pre-season start etc.?

A key question is 'when will IK get his jabs'? We need him! As SSE has said, our Board is too small and vulnerable.

BTW in Scotland they say 'jag' not 'jab'. I heard that the Scottish Government was giving everyone there a Jag - now that might influence a referendum!
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

These 2 images are 10 months apart, as always, be careful what you wish for.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Correct decision and good to see common sense prevails. Does this also mean that the letters sent out by the League to us and other teams, about breaking the rules for refusing to play matches will now be null and void or will we still have to fight our cases so that we dont incur a points deduction at the start of next season?
The other thing that needs sorting by the club is supporters who have season tickets/membership direct debits or have paid upfront for 20/21 season. What happens now? I know some of our richer supporters may just continue to pay DD (and I heartily applaud them) but for those less fortunate who haven't got funds to be so generous...
Do we get a refund or discounted season tickets for 21/22 season? Any other ideas how they can get around this to help us as well as the club. Very difficult
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

Unsurprisingly I suppose, Dorking Wanderers ( top of NLS) and Gloucester City ( top of NLN ) have both said they'd taken legal action about the curtailment of the season.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

The clubs contemplating legal action are throwing money down the drain.

Null and void has to be the right decision in the circumstances, high time really.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Won't make me popular but the voting (including Southport's) was based entirely on finance if people were being honest. If those loans were offered or converted into grants the majority would still be playing on.

Always get the likes of the AFC Fylde's of last season who voted tactically to serve their interest at that time. The irony.

The risk to players, staff and volunteers may have fluctuated but has always and will continue to exist and the level of acceptable risk is going to be something that we will need to define and establish prior to next season as Covid is here for the long term and it's how we best live with it.

YF makes the big point for me. The future structure of the leagues? The National League Board is going to face a vote of no confidence and should resign on mass. The time is now to restructure the leagues and bring some semblance of order and keep hearing the word sustainable and community clubs. Well now is the time to address all the issues that have built up over years and get realistic about football at all levels.

Unfortunately i suspect that people will get intrenched and lost in continuing the squabbles and personal agendas, rather than righting the wrongs and applying the lessons learnt and making best use of the window of opportunity now presented.

Same applies to Southport FC. As a club what is it? Where and how does it want to position itself and how is it best funded moving forwards? The club has had several difficult seasons on and off the field and the answers to those question will influence the options open to it.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:14 pm Correct decision and good to see common sense prevails. Does this also mean that the letters sent out by the League to us and other teams, about breaking the rules for refusing to play matches will now be null and void or will we still have to fight our cases so that we dont incur a points deduction at the start of next season?
The other thing that needs sorting by the club is supporters who have season tickets/membership direct debits or have paid upfront for 20/21 season. What happens now? I know some of our richer supporters may just continue to pay DD (and I heartily applaud them) but for those less fortunate who haven't got funds to be so generous...
Do we get a refund or discounted season tickets for 21/22 season? Any other ideas how they can get around this to help us as well as the club. Very difficult
They can't charge us for failing to fulfill fixtures that are null and void.
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

The NL Board has declared our season null and void and have to go to the FA for ratification. The FA have no reason to go against this decision. Therefore there can be NO promotion to the National League, nor relegation from the National League. There can be no mini leagues either. This is a nonsensical idea which the FA will never agree with. There will be NO playoffs either. The NLN and NLS seasons are finished. Some clubs don't like it but there is nothing they can do about it. Dover have given themselves a problem and I don't know the answer to that one.
As for reorganisation of the Leagues, it would be good to think it was possible, but in order to maintain the pyramid and necessary promotion and relegation I think it is impossible to reorganise any better than the current situation, the problem being the substantially more southern teams than northern teams at our level. I'd be happy to hear any sensible ideas but I haven't heard any yet! I hope everybody keeps well and let's all look forward to a new start next season.
exile
----------
----------

Post by exile »

At least wisdom has prevailed, if somewhat late...

Time foe player of the season..?
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

exile wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 pm
Time for player of the season..?
Not even sure there was 1 stand-out player for me throughout the whole campaign?

I mean last season it was Morgan easily. But I'm not sure this season. Woods has looked pretty sharp in the games I've seen same with Vassallo. Adam Anson has been relatively good also.