Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: Good news?

Post by portexileinbath »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:32 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:44 pm
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 pm Forcing people to take vaccines? Hmm.
Discuss.

I remember the teacher at KGV saying 'everyone go down to the gym', 'now roll your sleeves up'. Those were the days! That was the way to stop an epidemic!

Nowadays you'd have to send out information sheets a week before and get signed consent forms.

In some countries (including most US states) you cant send your children to a state school unless they've had their jabs.

I was in the pharmacy last autumn and the pharmacist asked a (youngish) lady if she wanted her flu jab, as a batch had just come in. 'I'm not having government poison' she replied. 'Oh no', said the pharmacist, 'its perfectly safe'. Then pointing to me the pharmacist (who knows me well) said 'this gentleman will explain, he knows all about vaccinations'.
Taking a deep breath, I started 'Well actually...' the lady cut in and said 'you can fuck off for a start'. I made my exit.
And now we have illnesses like measles on the rise because some people think they know better than doctors and scientists.
A lot of these people can barely string a coherent sentence together. But of course you mustn't tell sovereign individuals what's good for them or remind them of their responsibility to others.
Well said RR, i couldn't agree more (pint still on offer).

And to the others, With regard to face coverings, I hate them and can't wait to be able to stop wearing them but I have no desire to get or transmit the virus. Is it such a hardship to wear one if it saves peoples lives and keeps our hospitals empty enough to treat other conditions such as cancer ?.
Hillsider
----------
----------

Post by Hillsider »

Back to football, I hope some thought is being given to the dates of the 2021/22 season. Playing games in the summer and a winter break during flu season would be an idea. Give some thought to the fixtures too with an eye on the season being cut short again.
But the leagues board have shown no sign of creativity or imagination or ability to make a decision when needed.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Hillsider wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:21 pm Back to football, I hope some thought is being given to the dates of the 2021/22 season. Playing games in the summer and a winter break during flu season would be an idea. Give some thought to the fixtures too with an eye on the season being cut short again.
But the leagues board have shown no sign of creativity or imagination or ability to make a decision when needed.
How about relegating teams like Gloucester & Fylde for bringing the game & league into disrepute. Less teams, fewer games, more wiggle room for having a "fire break" if required (and a slightly less remote possibility of promotion for us 8-) .
Lets just hope this evil virus is under control for the new seaaon.
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

portexileinbath wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:13 am
george wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:03 am If the termanly terrified wish to always wear a mask, then that's ok,wot harm can it do?me,can't wait to throw the damn thing in the bin
When hopitals are less busy I would strongly advise going in for a brain implant, unfortunately social consciences have to be generated from within, a brain may help you develop one.
It always amazes me how people can think that because they have a different opinion, that that gives them the right to be downright rude and insulting.
I agree with George. I always wear a mask when obliged to, even though the mask always makes my nose run. I can't see out of my reading glasses and it makes me feel sweaty.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

becbee wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:49 pm
george wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:03 am If the termanly terrified wish to always wear a mask, then that's ok,wot harm can it do?me,can't wait to throw the damn thing in the bin
When hopitals are less busy I would strongly advise going in for a brain implant, unfortunately social consciences have to be generated from within, a brain may help you develop one.
It always amazes me how people can think that because they have a different opinion, that that gives them the right to be downright rude and insulting.
I agree with George. I always wear a mask when obliged to, even though the mask always makes my nose run. I can't see out of my reading glasses and it makes me feel sweaty.
The insulation of tapping out stuff on t'internet is probably what generates much of the insulting stuff becbee. It has been "the way" from the days of the early talk boards when the web was still young. For the record, I agree with much of what portexileinbath has said relating to Covid (apart from the bit where he lets himself descend into the demi-troll category of surfer.)

As Exile (I think) reminded us, the uptake of MMR vaccination dipped for a time (only by a relatively small percentage) resulting in a resurgence of Measles infection within the wider populace. The whole shooting match was caused by one doctor publishing a paper that suggested a link between the combined Mumps, Measles and Rubella (MMR) and incidents of autism. This paper was not peer reviewed and was dismissed by majority scientific opinion. Indeed, further research has failed to identify any link. Thanks to the internet however, fear of such a possibility led a significant minority of parents to refuse MMR vaccination. There was fault on both sides as the health services probably could have offered single doses instead ( it was claimed that single doses were no longer being manufactured.)

What this story is supposed to illustrate is the fact that it does not take much to allow a contagious virus like Covid or Measles to gain a foothold within a population. Whilst I tend to think that Covid19 is now a fixture which we will always need to guard against (like flu and measles), it does not mean to imply that the measures we take to safeguard our population against any significant resurgence will drastically alter our lives.

Back with football, Rugby league was shifted from winter to Summer a few years ago, perhaps there are a few practical reasons why the same might not apply to football, there would be resistance from other sporting bodies such as Cricket, tennis and Athletics as the governing bodies involved might well see a summer football season as having the potential to negatively affect attendances at their events. Perhaps a winter break as seen in Nordic countries would hold some benefits but again, as it would have the effect of stretching out the season into the Summer, this too would generate resistance.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

I think unpredictability of British weather makes a winter break pointless as you could never schedule it at a time when a substantial number of matches would be likely to be called off. It's not as if the country is plunged into a guaranteed arctic winter every year.

Just reduce every division to 20 teams.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I think at our level we have to consider the potentially devastating impact the 2022 Qatar World Cup will have on attendances. Do we really want to be playing when casual fans have daily free-to-air football to watch?

A November/December break in 2022/23 season might be useful....
portexileinbath
----------
----------

JG. Ref internet. I not on facebook, twitter and never consult the internet for news or information. My only uses are email, port chat, Southport fc etc. Anything I put forward are my thoughts or feelings.
As I mentioned in my previous posts, i hate wearing a mask, it also steams up my glasses, it makes it harder to breathe, it's uncomfortable....... But, I consider that a small inconvenience, for the benefits it gives.

And on football matters. With the exception of Englands games, I would much rather go and see my (our) team playing live football and as an exile living in Bath that is not a cheap or easy matter, but thats part of supporting your team..... Promotion to the national league would be great for me and i live in hope that next season....maybe
G Uest
----------
----------

Post by G Uest »

Sounds like some posters have now caught the new variant of this virus. It's known as Timid-19.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

becbee wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:49 pm
Is George not being rude and insulting when he refers to the "termanly terrified"? I presume he means "terminally".
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

G Uest wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:30 pm Sounds like some posters have now caught the new variant of this virus. It's known as Timid-19.
Perhaps they are in the elderly and/or vulnerable categories or have close relatives who are.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Several people in their twenties and thirties have died on the Covid19 unit at Aintree Hospital (A good friend works 14 hour night shifts on that unit). Most of these people did not have "other conditions" or ticked risk boxes like being overweight. The majority who are unfortunate enough to become infected will have few symptoms - if any. Some might become rather more unwell but recover. A minority are not so lucky. You do not need to be vulnerable because of age, underlying conditions or just physically weak, you just need to be unlucky. Accidentally pot the eight ball when aiming for a yellow. People are correct to retain caution as lock-down eases. I work every day with vulnerable people, many of whom have a limited understanding of "social distancing" or who require assistance with personal care. I too dislike mask wearing for long periods and have failed to develop any sort of an affinity for wearing other items of PPE. What makes me "do it" is the fact that mostly, it is to help protect them.

The risks are declining, but sadly, "risk" will remain with us for a long time to come.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

To try and steer pontification back to Port...how this affects us is unclear, but I am optimistic about the season ahead. The "roadmap" depends on certain criteria and is not set in stone, but if it's followed, there should be full football attendance come August with no social distancing or mitigating measures in place. Why? Well nightclubs... the sweatiest, most socially 'un-distanced' places imaginable, are set to open on June 21st, so I have no doubt that a sparsely populated, open aired Haig Ave would be fine. Discussions about masks, the lethality of Covid are best held elsewhere.

When that hallowed opening day comes, attention will turn to whether we are any good or not. I have my doubts. The last three seasons have given us little to believe otherwise. Ralphy can get his rules and regulations out and pretend last season never happened, but it did. I remember three home games against village sides where we failed to win a match. I remember being a few points off relegation. I remember one home win all season. I remember the embarrasment of going 1-4 behind against Guiseley. I am not going to go any further, I can't be arsed, but we urgently need a new broom over the summer.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Port on the Kent wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:42 pm To try and steer pontification back to Port...how this affects us is unclear, but I am optimistic about the season ahead. The "roadmap" depends on certain criteria and is not set in stone, but if it's followed, there should be full football attendance come August with no social distancing or mitigating measures in place. Why? Well nightclubs... the sweatiest, most socially 'un-distanced' places imaginable, are set to open on June 21st, so I have no doubt that a sparsely populated, open aired Haig Ave would be fine. Discussions about masks, the lethality of Covid are best held elsewhere.

When that hallowed opening day comes, attention will turn to whether we are any good or not. I have my doubts. The last three seasons have given us little to believe otherwise. Ralphy can get his rules and regulations out and pretend last season never happened, but it did. I remember three home games against village sides where we failed to win a match. I remember being a few points off relegation. I remember one home win all season. I remember the embarrasment of going 1-4 behind against Guiseley. I am not going to go any further, I can't be arsed, but we urgently need a new broom over the summer.
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Yep,nuff said
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Port on the Kent wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:42 pm Ralphy can get his rules and regulations out and pretend last season never happened, but it did. I remember three home games against village sides where we failed to win a match. I remember being a few points off relegation. I remember one home win all season.
I'm not pretending they didn't happen but 14 games isn't a full season and is therefore not representative of where we may have finished.
Who are these 3 village sides we failed to win against at home? I'm struggling to identify them on the results page.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Spennymoor Alfreton Farsley?
Depends how you define a village I suppose, but they’re not very big places.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:03 am Spennymoor Alfreton Farsley?
Depends how you define a village I suppose, but they’re not very big places.
Well they are all towns and it's not as if teams are limited to only recruiting players from the town that the club is based in anyway.

The size of the town's population has little bearing on the players a club can attract. Burnley is the same size as Southport whilst Warrington is more than twice the size.

Any Southport fan knows that the local population doesn't always correlate to the size of the club's attendances. Sponsorship and the owner's largesse may play a bigger part in the quality of players that a club can attract.

It's easy enough for Farsley to recruit from the Leeds and Bradford area. Alfreton from the Derby and Nottingham area, Spennymoor from Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Sunderland. They're hardly isolated from civilisation.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

george wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:59 pmYep,nuff said
No, not enough said.
When crowds do return to football, non league clubs more than any others will need fans to return in as large as possible numbers. Bums on seats or feet on the terraces may well make the difference between survival or death of clubs.
I am ready to accept that there will be risks in attending games but if i was sure that other fans would do everything possible to reduce that risk, my bum would be on a seat as many times as posaible. I am sure that I am not alone in thinking this, so I would say to the people who are just dismissing people like me, for trying to stay well or alive, think what you are doing to your club, you will be reducing attendances and thus the revenue the club generates.
Keeping people away will negate any argument about the quality of the players the team have and also the quality of the football on show. So I ask you, is wearing a mask and following other protocols so much to ask, for the benefit of the club you supposedly support ?. Is it too much to ask for the few to make a little effort for me and other fans like me ?. Please think about it if football is your passion as it is mine.
Enough said by me now methinks.
Stay safe everybody.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Does every thread have to be turned into a 'Watson out' thread?