Good news?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
george
----------
----------

Re: Good news?

Post by george »

Dear Ralphy,we both support southport, so were on the same page, and there's good reason, look at the facilities, the stand, floodlights, pitch,all great, where we differ is on the pitch.
You seem to accept that being a mid table team in this league is acceptable, I do not.
If we are not competing at the top next season, me and lots of other people will find better things to do on a Saturday afternoon, playing in footballing terms village teams,is not where Southport fc should be
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Wow, true fans stick with their team through thick and thin. We are up against teams who have far larger budgets than us and I personally believe that in time LW will assemble a squad of players that will take us up a level. What we need is a way of getting more people through the turnstiles to generate the finances to enable us to attract better players. Desering a floundering ship will not help, why not encourage friends to come along and watch us (or if you think we are that bad, bring along people you hate).
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

portexileinbath wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:36 pm Wow, true fans stick with their team through thick and thin. We are up against teams who have far larger budgets than us and I personally believe that in time LW will assemble a squad of players that will take us up a level. What we need is a way of getting more people through the turnstiles to generate the finances to enable us to attract better players. Desering a floundering ship will not help, why not encourage friends to come along and watch us (or if you think we are that bad, bring along people you hate).
The problem is that it's been a few years since we have had any Thick.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:14 pm Dear Ralphy,we both support southport, so were on the same page, and there's good reason, look at the facilities, the stand, floodlights, pitch,all great, where we differ is on the pitch.
You seem to accept that being a mid table team in this league is acceptable, I do not.
If we are not competing at the top next season, me and lots of other people will find better things to do on a Saturday afternoon, playing in footballing terms village teams,is not where Southport fc should be
I don't think it's acceptable. But I also don't think it's all doom and gloom either.

I'll support my club through thick and thin as I did through the 1980s when we were also a 6th tier mediocre team and most people had buggered off to do, as you say, better things.

By all means come back when things are better but, if you do, please don't proclaim to be a lifelong supporter.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:08 pm
george wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:14 pm Dear Ralphy,we both support southport, so were on the same page, and there's good reason, look at the facilities, the stand, floodlights, pitch,all great, where we differ is on the pitch.
I don't think it's acceptable. But I also don't think it's all doom and gloom either.

I'll support my club through thick and thin as I did through the 1980s when we were also a 6th tier mediocre team and most people had buggered off to do, as you say, better things.

By all means come back when things are better but, if you do, please don't proclaim to be a lifelong supporter.
The words of a true fan, thank goodness some people still know what loyalty is. RR, we must have a century of supporting Port between us !.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Next season I will be there, why?,cos it's in my heart, and soul, took my son to his first game at Haig ave when he was 5 or 6,Twenty years later he will be there as well,yep ruined his life,up the port
Formula Port
----------
----------

Post by Formula Port »

portexileinbath wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:29 pm
george wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:59 pmYep,nuff said
No, not enough said.
When crowds do return to football, non league clubs more than any others will need fans to return in as large as possible numbers. Bums on seats or feet on the terraces may well make the difference between survival or death of clubs.
I am ready to accept that there will be risks in attending games but if i was sure that other fans would do everything possible to reduce that risk, my bum would be on a seat as many times as posaible. I am sure that I am not alone in thinking this, so I would say to the people who are just dismissing people like me, for trying to stay well or alive, think what you are doing to your club, you will be reducing attendances and thus the revenue the club generates.
Keeping people away will negate any argument about the quality of the players the team have and also the quality of the football on show. So I ask you, is wearing a mask and following other protocols so much to ask, for the benefit of the club you supposedly support ?. Is it too much to ask for the few to make a little effort for me and other fans like me ?. Please think about it if football is your passion as it is mine.
Enough said by me now methinks.
Stay safe everybody.
So we all need to carry on wearing masks and social distancing until you say it’s ok to stop at Haig Ave regardless of what’s happening in the rest of the country?
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:14 pm
If we are not competing at the top next season, me and lots of other people will find better things to do on a Saturday afternoon
george wrote:Next season I will be there, why?,cos it's in my heart, and soul
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Whether "we all need to carry on wearing masks [...]" very much depends upon the overall situation regarding the situation in the country and specifically within the local area.

Regarding football, management and "village sides", IF we can get our recruitment right and bring in a little experience (older heads) to help our younger players develop their "in match savvy" on the pitch, I think we could do rather better than we have over the last two seasons and crucially; this would work just as well with Liam as manager. His most successful sides have all included a sprinkling of older heads.

If it doesn't work out, then inevitably changes in the backroom will come.

These "village sides", what gives our club the right to expect automatic superiority over clubs from smaller towns and villages? I have been following our club for in excess of 50 years (like others on here). It is my home town team and I will support them at whatever level we play.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

I think my take on all of this is significantly less valuable than many posters on here who have seen the glory days as I, given that I've only been watching for 9 years and alive for 16, have not. In terms of "off the field" activity we are the best we've ever been I think for far longer than I have been watching and that to me is the most important part; success will come eventually and we will win things during my lifetime of that I have no doubt and right now, a "steady ship" is something we can all agree is pivotal in not only the short term survival but also long term prosperity of our club.

It pains even me to see us as a mid table Conference North team because I remember less than 10 years ago that season, with Mr Watson at the helm, when we almost made it into the Conference playoffs. Granted at the time I didn't understand a great deal about tables or points and many may say it was a fluke which perhaps it was but that doesn't mean it never happened.

Personally I don't believe that right now Liam is the man for the job but irrespective of that he has the club's best interests at heart and if he can steady us and keep us in this division for even 2 or 3 more years before we've accrued enough resources for a real charge for promotion then I am more than happy to wait for it. I'd love another "sugar daddy" owner with ambition and endless pits of money but we got stung last time so I'm quite happy with Ian's current board even if I do still wish some more investment from local business people and such would be advantageous in further solidifying our position. I know putting things into perspective is difficult when you're fed on a diet of hoofball and selling your best players to Accrington Stanley but it isn't going to be forever and immediate, short term ambition is not the key to long term success in this case and very rarely is unless you're going to "be in the football league by 2022" ;)

I'm not one to say "be glad we still at least have a club" because if the club had no direction it would slowly decline anyway- then short term discomfort becomes long term disinterest, and just like that in 10 years time you have away games at Burscough and Skelmersdale United in front of 200 people. I believe we do have direction and a "long term plan" which is why I'm happy, for now, to let Mr Watson do what Mr Watson does best until such time as we know we're in a financially stable enough position to survive a relegation if we did get promoted and at the very least be back to square 1 if we did.

Sorry for the ramble and probably significantly off topic post but I just feel like I haven't given my slightly different angle on it all up until now.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Great to hear your take on things David, it’s great we’ve got some younger fans and posters - that’s good news. I enjoyed reading your comments and the points you make. Up the port and yes I’ll be a supporter however they’re playing and it’s good to air your views, in my case it’s called therapy. Ironically, most of the serial moaners ( some may say including myself ) are really loyal and good supporters and that’s the most important thing for the Club.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

David_1276 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:46 pm I think my take on all of this is significantly less valuable than many posters on here who have seen the glory days as I, given that I've only been watching for 9 years and alive for 16, have not. In terms of "off the field" activity we are the best we've ever been I think for far longer than I have been watching and that to me is the most important part; success will come eventually and we will win things during my lifetime of that I have no doubt and right now, a "steady ship" is something we can all agree is pivotal in not only the short term survival but also long term prosperity of our club.

It pains even me to see us as a mid table Conference North team because I remember less than 10 years ago that season, with Mr Watson at the helm, when we almost made it into the Conference playoffs. Granted at the time I didn't understand a great deal about tables or points and many may say it was a fluke which perhaps it was but that doesn't mean it never happened.

Personally I don't believe that right now Liam is the man for the job but irrespective of that he has the club's best interests at heart and if he can steady us and keep us in this division for even 2 or 3 more years before we've accrued enough resources for a real charge for promotion then I am more than happy to wait for it. I'd love another "sugar daddy" owner with ambition and endless pits of money but we got stung last time so I'm quite happy with Ian's current board even if I do still wish some more investment from local business people and such would be advantageous in further solidifying our position. I know putting things into perspective is difficult when you're fed on a diet of hoofball and selling your best players to Accrington Stanley but it isn't going to be forever and immediate, short term ambition is not the key to long term success in this case and very rarely is unless you're going to "be in the football league by 2022" ;)

I'm not one to say "be glad we still at least have a club" because if the club had no direction it would slowly decline anyway- then short term discomfort becomes long term disinterest, and just like that in 10 years time you have away games at Burscough and Skelmersdale United in front of 200 people. I believe we do have direction and a "long term plan" which is why I'm happy, for now, to let Mr Watson do what Mr Watson does best until such time as we know we're in a financially stable enough position to survive a relegation if we did get promoted and at the very least be back to square 1 if we did.

Sorry for the ramble and probably significantly off topic post but I just feel like I haven't given my slightly different angle on it all up until now.
First thing. Do not devalue your worth, us oldsters may have been fans for aeons and seen better days (on and off the pitch) but people like you are the future of the club.
I to remember that season. In particular, one of my "home" games, at Yeovil, where we outplayed them in every department. Not to mention the strart of the great series of away wins, here in my exiled home town of Bath. 9 men and a late winner, the drinks with my Bath City friends were very sweet that night. The thing about that team was there were not any brilliant players but they were all very hard working and were a true "team" and never gave up.
Keep the faith, better times will come and hopefully the good times.
Also congratulations in putting your views so eloquently.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

We are what we are now. Unfortunately.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Its not all doom and gloom, a new season will be with us soon and young fans such as David can do without such negativity, particularly now in these dark days. We need young fans to be encouraged to come to games.
We are all Port fans, so lets get behind our team and hope for better things. We want our players to give everything on the pitch, shouldn't we do the same from the terraces ?
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:47 pm Its not all doom and gloom, a new season will be with us soon and young fans such as David can do without such negativity, particularly now in these dark days. We need young fans to be encouraged to come to games.
We are all Port fans, so lets get behind our team and hope for better things. We want our players to give everything on the pitch, shouldn't we do the same from the terraces ?
The encouragement needs to come from the club. It’s up to them to sell a vision to a new fan...especially with so much competition in the region.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:47 pm Its not all doom and gloom, a new season will be with us soon and young fans such as David can do without such negativity, particularly now in these dark days. We need young fans to be encouraged to come to games.
I have done for 30 years and look where that has got us. Patience wearing thin springs to mind
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:37 pm
The encouragement needs to come from the club. It’s up to them to sell a vision to a new fan...especially with so much competition in the region.
What competition, Liverpool aren't the team they were last year :D .
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:37 pm The encouragement needs to come from the club. It’s up to them to sell a vision to a new fan...especially with so much competition in the region.
Actions speak louder than words.
gazaprop
----------
----------

Post by gazaprop »

What about a 5 year plan - we haven't had one of those for a bit 🤔😉
portexileinbath
----------
----------

gazaprop wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm
What about a 5 year plan - we haven't had one of those for a bit 🤔😉
If only there was somewhere that could give us a long term low interest loan and then use it for new players :lol: