New Director

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: New Director

Post by portexileinbath »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pm I think our ‘core support’ is far more than 400. Probably 1000-1500 attend reasonably regularly, say 10-15 times a season. An average home support of say 800 is not the same individuals each week. With the best will in the world most of us couldn’t attend every single game.
By core support I mean the people to whom the club matters in a serious way, not just as an occasional diversion if there’s a big cup game.
It is very rare for me to be able to get to a home game, due to the distance involved and the lack of trains to get me home, without making an overnight stay and even though i have been an exile for almost 50 years the club still means a lot to me. Sometimes being a fan means only getting to a few games, thats my excuse, what excuse to the residents of Southport have...... apart from the poor performances on the pitch ?.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

portexileinbath wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:57 am what excuse to the residents of Southport have...... apart from the poor performances on the pitch ?.
That's a good enough reason for most people.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

portexileinbath wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:57 am
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pm I think our ‘core support’ is far more than 400. Probably 1000-1500 attend reasonably regularly, say 10-15 times a season. An average home support of say 800 is not the same individuals each week. With the best will in the world most of us couldn’t attend every single game.
By core support I mean the people to whom the club matters in a serious way, not just as an occasional diversion if there’s a big cup game.
It is very rare for me to be able to get to a home game, due to the distance involved and the lack of trains to get me home, without making an overnight stay and even though i have been an exile for almost 50 years the club still means a lot to me. Sometimes being a fan means only getting to a few games, thats my excuse, what excuse to the residents of Southport have...... apart from the poor performances on the pitch ?.
I agree with Sandgrounder SE with regards to "core support". Meanwhile, apart from the relatively close proximity of Liverpool, Everton, Preston NE, Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan; not to mention (for the slighty more adventurous) Man UTD and City, another influence on attendance probably relates to the fact that many jobs within the town are found in the hospitality, retail and care sectors. All relatively low paid and involving hours of work that clash with match days / nights. Whilst we do have a larger than average proportion of the resident population above retirement age, many have moved to the town in order to retire and so the club does not have much significance for them.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:36 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:57 am what excuse to the residents of Southport have...... apart from the poor performances on the pitch ?.
That's a good enough reason for most people.
There was a fair degree of " tongue in cheek" in my comments. As an angler i have almost unlimited patience, perhaps it may be worth some of the stay away fans taking up fishing....but not on saturday afternoons, or tuesday evenings. Hopefully the new season will bring about the sort of footie that will make more people want to come. Higher attendances mean more revenue, which (hopefully) funds better players......... I hope !.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

YTT wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:11 pm

Get that, my point was partnership/access to such a facility yes, ticks a box and allows access to funding for the council, outright ownership no.

Outright ownership would surely be beyond the means of the club.
Also Southport isn't exactly awash with suitable sites that aren't either schools or public playing fields.
If we were to go for outright ownership the cost would surely take many years to pay off before any income provided a return.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

You can not expect to get better numbers turning up to watch Southport at Haig Ave If the dross continues bring played and we can NOT win a game at home. :o
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Yes. If gates are to improve, the ability to usually win at home has got to be the priority target. If a team is winning at home spectators will come. Winning often away is only a temporary fix.
No amount of ‘improving the spectator experience’ will bring people to watch a losing team. Even playing ‘attractive football’ is no good if it doesn’t result in winning. It’s all about success on the pitch.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

If Phil Hodgkinson was in charge I doubt whether he would tolerate the Home performances, its going back to the same argument why was a Manager/Coach allowed to become a Director, Mr Watson can do as he pleases with no scrutiny, the general performances have been well below par, with the end result, we sell our prized assets, so now what? If the situation continues you can expect more lower table mediocrity.
It is a big concern where the club is heading....I hope the New Director has a Magic Wand to halt the current situation.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 pm If Phil Hodgkinson was in charge I doubt whether he would tolerate the Home performances, its going back to the same argument why was a Manager/Coach allowed to become a Director, Mr Watson can do as he pleases with no scrutiny, the general performances have been well below par, with the end result, we sell our prized assets, so now what? If the situation continues you can expect more lower table mediocrity.
It is a big concern where the club is heading....I hope the New Director has a Magic Wand to halt the current situation.
Totally agree!
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Stratford Excile wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:56 pm
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 pm If Phil Hodgkinson was in charge I doubt whether he would tolerate the Home performances, its going back to the same argument why was a Manager/Coach allowed to become a Director, Mr Watson can do as he pleases with no scrutiny, the general performances have been well below par, with the end result, we sell our prized assets, so now what? If the situation continues you can expect more lower table mediocrity.
Totally agree!
We'd be heading to Europe if PH was still in charge!

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... m-20248983
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

"He’s a good bloke. His intentions are right and he’s got a good heart but saying it and doing it are two different things."

Sounds very familiar.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 pm the general performances have been well below par, with the end result, we sell our prized assets.
Do you think there'd be less interest from other clubs in buying our players if performances were better? I'd have thought the opposite.
Fact is unless you're in the top 6 in the Premier League you're a selling club.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

I don't think there's much wrong with a director who's not putting money in. Do we think Liam is? Potty was and probably continues to be one because of what he brings in his skills, be that in his day job, which he has put into practice at Haig Ave to save the club many many thousands of the years. Plus his connections in non league football. He has been to thousands of grounds, there wont be many boardrooms that Potty hasn't been in. Plus he's genuinely a nice bloke. Same with Liam, there isn't much about football that Liam doesn't know. Yes its a bit odd he's also the manager, a bit Dave Pace like perhaps, but that's experience you cannot buy.

We functioned for years with a board that never put a penny in, and for the best part of two decades were only seen on match days behind turnstiles. But this feels very different. It's clear as day that Ian is trying to build a board without reliance on one or two people and also with different contacts, skills and not just a yes man. Tony already is a sponsor of the club isn't he? There's some money coming in right there. But if he has contacts that can see other companies bringing money in year upon year then its irrelevant if its his money, as long as some comes in!

With regards to training facilities, there aren't many places where one could go or make any sense to. Meols Cop field (as opposed to the school) would be ideal, great location and visibility. I'd argue a football stadium there would look a great entrance to the town (which i think was an idea mooted when Paymentshield were involved), and free up Haig Ave for housing, but we dont need that. Other places could be next to the park and ride (in town) as there is plenty of flat land, but with the sea breeze, not a chance. Same with Stanley High, oodles of space for it, could even be entirely self contained. Christ the King is getting a housing estate next to it so that wouldn't work.

The best location probably isn't even in Southport, but well within the borough and somewhere off the Formby bypass. Makes getting to training for players from outside of the North West super simple and would increase its catchment area for running it as a going concern too. And its not really too much of a heartache for people of Southport to get there.

One thing i'd say on Tony again though. Remember the last new director who came in? Saw something about us online, no one had heard of him. Wanted to invest in football because his brother was involved but didn't even live in Southport? Ian Kyle, and I think most of us say he (and his family) are probably one of the best additions to the club in a long time.

I don't want a flashy businessman with sharp suits, fancy graphics that Phil and Natalie brought with them. It wasn't and will never be Southport and it made a mockery of us. The ground is the best it's been in years, the pitch is better than at any other time. It's just the team that need the work now.

Let Tony find his feet, his level and hopefully it'll taper the delusions of grandeur he had while courting Stockport, and see where we are in a years time.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

We are told about some of the inner workings of the club,the financial, ground improvement ect,you can believe them or not,
What I do know is what I see on the pitch, and it's crap.As a fan l want to see southport win,what I see is a team of young players who are trialists for the likes of Accrington, a scout doesn't care about the result, he's just looking for a player. I don't give a toss about selling players on,the money it makes,blah,blah,I am not a scout,I am a fan,put a team of seasond yard dogs out there if that's what it takes to get us out of this pub league, rant over
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Ref Georges comments. So many of our problems stem from the fact we do not have large enough crowds to generate the income, or a sugar daddy to give it, that would, either enable us to buy, or retain good enough players. I doubt that any team in our division or the league above would have been able to hang on to Dion, this is patently evident from his performances with Accy and his inclusion in the N Ireland squad, the same could possibly said for Moogs but to a much lesser degree. However the loss of these players has generated income that can be used to buy players who are good enough to win at our level and just about cope with the level above. Hopefully having taken that step, the added crowds and sponsorship would pave the way for the next giant leap, back into the league, which is where we all want us to be.
Even getting promoted from the NPLis going to be difficult, allowing for the fact there are other larger clubs than us trying to do exactly the same thing, not to mention the sides that have far greater financial resources than us.
What we have to hope for, is that somehow we can assemble a team that have the hunger, desire and enough ability to take the first step.
And finally, do you think you are alone in wanting to see us win ?. Negativity isn't helpful to the players or the club, try and cheer up and look forward to the new season with hope.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Football is in the entertainment business, try winning, it puts bums on seats, which creates income, job done
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Chicken and egg syndrome. Anyone got a goose that lays weird looking eggs ?.
Yes, it's an entertainment business but there is an x factor that makes it more than that and that extra thing that makes us go and watch "our" team.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

There is literally one team in the UK that will win a league this season without possibly losing their best player/players.

Amazingly, it isn’t us.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Ste_B wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:23 am There is literally one team in the UK that will win a league this season without possibly losing their best player/players.

Amazingly, it isn’t us.
Spot on. Only about 4% of teams will win a league in any year / division.