New Director

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Re: New Director

Post by Stratford Excile »

Sam wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:26 pm
Stratford Excile wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:04 pm Agree-did not seem like a 'Man with a Plan'
The whole point of a board is that it isn't just one person with a plan, its a collective. He's merely meant to have ideas and experiences.
Take your point but all the same he was very uninspiring-just Liam's mate!
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Sam wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:26 pm
Stratford Excile wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:04 pm Agree-did not seem like a 'Man with a Plan'
The whole point of a board is that it isn't just one person with a plan, its a collective. He's merely meant to have ideas and experiences.

Steady, Sam...that's almost too sensible to post on here.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Nolio

Post by Nolio »

Redrobe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:48 am I think the questions asked were obvious ones so not sure pre-sight of them should make any difference but I agree we need to give him time.
I think the Trust referred to will be the Southport FC Community Foundation. Nolio should be able to confirm.
Yes, this is correct. Since August the Community Development Officer role has fallen under the auspices of the Community Trust.
With everything which has transpired meaning many of our principal objectives have been affected by the pandemic, we are making sure we move cautiously and carefully, and hopefully to benefit as many people as possible in a variety of ways. Watch this space!
Optimist
----------
----------

Post by Optimist »

Paulisi wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:02 pm Didn't really tell us much about Tony Evans, other than he was a mate of Liam's.
He didn't seem very prepared for the questions and was very vague when answering.
I agree, and felt at times he didn't look very engaged/interested when other people were talking, but let's be optimistic and give all the Board our support.

Did I hear it right that Tony's been brought onto the Board but hasn't yet invested money into the Club? If so, this seems to me to be a very good approach, allowing him and the others to be sure that it's the right thing for everyone before committing more fully if that's what he wants to do.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Optimist wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:54 pm
Did I hear it right that Tony's been brought onto the Board but hasn't yet invested money into the Club? If so, this seems to me to be a very good approach, allowing him and the others to be sure that it's the right thing for everyone before committing more fully if that's what he wants to do.
It sounded to me that major investment from directors is not envisaged. Current stated policy is that the club should be self sustaining. No capital projects are currently being considered, other than the all weather pitch and even then it wasn't clear whether the Club will be a major stakeholder. I'll keep buying a lottery ticket.

I was expecting more from the new director.

The only eye opener for me was the level of debt the club is/was carrying. We havent had an AGM and I havent seen any recent accounts, so I had assumed, on what can be gleaned from the public domain, that after PH's departure all was hunky dory, though it was never clear to me how the pitch work was funded.
port4ever
----------
----------

Post by port4ever »

Tony Evans has had no opportunity to show what he can bring to the club. Give the guy a chance before his character is assassinated.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

The pitch work was funded by way of a grant by The Football Stadia Improvement Fund Limited and there is a charge on the Club that was lodged 30/07/19 and already filed.

The PH exit terms we don't know but have to say i agree the £500k came as a shock to me but as a previous poster has pointed out both our on and off field costs significantly (to the point of ridiculously) increased and have visibly been reduced on all fronts in recent times.

As for the New Director, I read it as a case of he and the board believe he can bring additional commercial revenue into the club and that is surely always welcome?

Sure its not lost on people that our sponsors will have had even less out of their deals than the norm given the pandemic, so retention will prove challenging, as will people marketing spend, also that over the last 3 season we've had 3 different shirt sponsors and one of those you'll struggle to even find as a trading entity! So fresh impetus and ideas are required.

Thankless task running a football club at any level these days and as i've previously posted i think the models at our level, above and below will change over the next 2-3 years as post pandemic (if that is ever anything like a return to how we used to live over the nest couple of years) then sustainability will be the aim for most clubs and i think the days of community/fan ownership becoming more common operating models are upon us. We hear from the club all the time it couldn't operate without it's volunteers!

It was highlighted for me when the conversation turned to Council relationship and the Community aspect of the club. 4G is a funding opportunity but Meols Cop is not a the most viable option for logistical reasons unless the topography has changed and Southport FC may have access to such a facility but never any outright ownership (Not for a second saying Southport doesn't desperately needs such additional facilities).

The community aspect people refer to the the kids and junior set up and is merited but i'm still not sure it's where it was hoped or should be on that front or that those kids wouldn't be playing elsewhere irrespective of the club affiliation. The reality is the Club itself has a hardcore of about 400 supporters (not all of those are local residents of the District) and out of a population of 91,000 it's not going to be high n the political agenda until it genuinely, if ever, becomes a true community hub.

IK said lets focus on the next 12 months and i don't disagree as i think we face more financial logistical challenges (some of which will continue to be out of our control) and it would be nice to get back to focussing on the football and events on and performances on the pitch. Think we all need that.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

:D
port4ever wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:16 pm Tony Evans has had no opportunity to show what he can bring to the club. Give the guy a chance before his character is assassinated.
Who has assassinated his character?
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

I'm also bemused by the "£500k debt the club was in".
As far as I am aware the club wasn't in debt when Phil Hodgkinson arrived and he made it clear when he departed that he had left us with no debt. This was corroborated by statements issued by the club at the time.
If it's simply as case of the £500k debt being the debt that PH created and then cleared before leaving then I'm not sure why it's mentioned in this statement.
Granted he may have left us with some ongoing commitments that needed to be reduced but surely not to the tune of £500k.

Good to hear the focus will be on football this coming season. The ground is more than adequate for National League football so lets concentrate on some success on the pitch.

It would however be nice if the perspex panels at either end of the main stand could be replaced with ones you can actually see through. Surely wouldn't cost a huge amount.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I do wonder if the £500k 'debt' referred to may be a mistake, and instead was a deficit - as IK then refers to now 'breaking even' rather than paying it off.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Ste_B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:54 pm I do wonder if the £500k 'debt' referred to may be a mistake, and instead was a deficit - as IK then refers to now 'breaking even' rather than paying it off.
That was my understanding and hence the switch to part time players and a reduced cost base.
port4ever
----------
----------

Post by port4ever »

Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:03 pm :D
port4ever wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:16 pm Tony Evans has had no opportunity to show what he can bring to the club. Give the guy a chance before his character is assassinated.
If you read the last sentence, it says before his character is assassinated.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

YTT wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:06 pm IK said lets focus on the next 12 months and i don't disagree as i think we face more financial logistical challenges (some of which will continue to be out of our control) and it would be nice to get back to focussing on the football and events on and performances on the pitch. Think we all need that.
Indeed till the shock of Covid has fully exited our lives surviving as a club is a very solid if uninspiring for fans ambition
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I think our ‘core support’ is far more than 400. Probably 1000-1500 attend reasonably regularly, say 10-15 times a season. An average home support of say 800 is not the same individuals each week. With the best will in the world most of us couldn’t attend every single game.
By core support I mean the people to whom the club matters in a serious way, not just as an occasional diversion if there’s a big cup game.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

port4ever wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:40 am
Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:03 pm :D
If you read the last sentence, it says before his character is assassinated.
Is it going to be? ;)
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pm I think our ‘core support’ is far more than 400. Probably 1000-1500 attend reasonably regularly, say 10-15 times a season. An average home support of say 800 is not the same individuals each week. With the best will in the world most of us couldn’t attend every single game.
By core support I mean the people to whom the club matters in a serious way, not just as an occasional diversion if there’s a big cup game.
Still a tiny % and I was referencing what I understood to be membership uptake number. So can’t see it being high up on the local political agenda. That’s always been the challenge for the Club and the pipe dream of sustainability as a decent level of football.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

YTT wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:06 pm The pitch work was funded by way of a grant by The Football Stadia Improvement Fund Limited and there is a charge on the Club that was lodged 30/07/19 and already filed.
I am not sure what that means YTT. I would be very grateful if you would explain.

I do find this £500K debt business a bit opaque.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Redrobe fan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:32 pm
YTT wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:06 pm The pitch work was funded by way of a grant by The Football Stadia Improvement Fund Limited and there is a charge on the Club that was lodged 30/07/19 and already filed.
I am not sure what that means YTT. I would be very grateful if you would explain.

I do find this £500K debt business a bit opaque.
The criteria below for the Football Stadia Improvement Fund.

English National League System Clubs

To be eligible:

Your club must be a member of the English National League System
Either own the freehold of the site you want to develop or have a lease with at least ten years or 21 years unexpired as appropriate i.e. 10 years for clubs applying for up to £150,000 and 21 years for clubs applying for £150,000 and over.
Eligible for:

Projects including new covered seating, changing rooms and pitch maintenance equipment
A maximum grant value of £400,000 (depending on step)
A maximum grant of 70% of eligible costs

This link will provide you with more detail if you want it https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/foot ... 26Cs_1.pdf
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

YTT wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:31 pm

Still a tiny % and I was referencing what I understood to be membership uptake number. So can’t see it being high up on the local political agenda. That’s always been the challenge for the Club and the pipe dream of sustainability as a decent level of football.
The relationship with the council will be less to do with the size of the club's support and more to do with the need for the provision of full size all weather pitches in the borough. If the club can partner with schools or other organisations to provide an all weather pitch then it helps the council meet the demand for such facilities which are currently severely lacking.
https://www.sefton.gov.uk/planning-buil ... and%202025.
They were certainly keen when Phil H was promising a training ground and a centre of sporting excellence.
http://trustinyellow.com/files/AGM_Report_V3.pdf
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:30 pm
YTT wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:31 pm

The relationship with the council will be less to do with the size of the club's support and more to do with the need for the provision of full size all weather pitches in the borough. If the club can partner with schools or other organisations to provide an all weather pitch then it helps the council meet the demand for such facilities which are currently severely lacking.
https://www.sefton.gov.uk/planning-buil ... and%202025.
They were certainly keen when Phil H was promising a training ground and a centre of sporting excellence.
http://trustinyellow.com/files/AGM_Report_V3.pdf
Get that, my point was partnership/access to such a facility yes, ticks a box and allows access to funding for the council, outright ownership no.

The council have been keen for years but a facility hasn’t come to fruition and I know soil samples have been historically taken from Meols Cop and there-in lays one of the problems. Which is why looking back on those minutes lots of what was discussed was never truly viable.