Football fans

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
george
----------
----------
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Football fans

Post by george »

Covid should have taught the people that run football one thing, that without fans football is nothing, and would anybody go to watch any game with VAR?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Football fans

Post by Redrobe fan »

Yes. When the restrictions are over PL grounds will be full, as usual.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Re: Football fans

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

george wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:30 pm Covid should have taught the people that run football one thing, that without fans football is nothing, and would anybody go to watch any game with VAR?
VAR is not in itself a bad thing.
It is those that attempt to use it that are the problem.
The concept of "clear and obvious" seems to have been thrown out of the window.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Football fans

Post by portexileinbath »

I sincerely hope that ALL clubs think long and hard about making the wearing of face coverings mandatory until the covid virus has been brought under control and all people that can be, have been vaccinated.
I personally think that the selfish refuseniks are far outnumbered by those who would be willing to comply, also the loss of the supporters who would refuse would be outweighed by people like myself who will not attend games until they do.

......And VAR in it's present format is ruining the game, as others have said "clear and obvious mistakes", only.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Football fans

Post by portexileinbath »

Southport FC, please think about what I have said, wearing a face mask will not kill anybody, not wearing one could.
Formula Port
----------
----------
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am

Re: Football fans

Post by Formula Port »

portexileinbath wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pm I sincerely hope that ALL clubs think long and hard about making the wearing of face coverings mandatory until the covid virus has been brought under control and all people that can be, have been vaccinated.
I personally think that the selfish refuseniks are far outnumbered by those who would be willing to comply, also the loss of the supporters who would refuse would be outweighed by people like myself who will not attend games until they do.

......And VAR in it's present format is ruining the game, as others have said "clear and obvious mistakes", only.
Every adult will have been at the very least offered a covid vaccine by the start of next season. Why would we need to be wearing a mask outside in August?
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Football fans

Post by portexileinbath »

Formula Port wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:29 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pm I sincerely hope that ALL clubs think long and hard about making the wearing of face coverings mandatory until the covid virus has been brought under control and all people that can be, have been vaccinated.
I personally think that the selfish refuseniks are far outnumbered by those who would be willing to comply, also the loss of the supporters who would refuse would be outweighed by people like myself who will not attend games until they do.

......And VAR in it's present format is ruining the game, as others have said "clear and obvious mistakes", only.
Every adult will have been at the very least offered a covid vaccine by the start of next season. Why would we need to be wearing a mask outside in August?
Offered a dose 1st dose by the end of July, another 3-4 months for the second doses, plus another month for it to be effeective, will take us up to october - november, at least. After the holiday season there will probably be another massive spike in infections. I sincerely hope I am wrong but alas I doubt it.
Gloucester
----------
----------
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:43 pm

Re: Football fans

Post by Gloucester »

I personally will not attend a game until masks are non mandatory I wouldn’t enjoy it after a long car journey so will wait.
Formula Port
----------
----------
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am

Re: Football fans

Post by Formula Port »

portexileinbath wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:39 pm
Formula Port wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:29 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pm I sincerely hope that ALL clubs think long and hard about making the wearing of face coverings mandatory until the covid virus has been brought under control and all people that can be, have been vaccinated.
I personally think that the selfish refuseniks are far outnumbered by those who would be willing to comply, also the loss of the supporters who would refuse would be outweighed by people like myself who will not attend games until they do.

......And VAR in it's present format is ruining the game, as others have said "clear and obvious mistakes", only.
Every adult will have been at the very least offered a covid vaccine by the start of next season. Why would we need to be wearing a mask outside in August?
Offered a dose 1st dose by the end of July, another 3-4 months for the second doses, plus another month for it to be effeective, will take us up to october - november, at least. After the holiday season there will probably be another massive spike in infections. I sincerely hope I am wrong but alas I doubt it.
1 dose is sufficient to provide protection. The 2nd dose, whilst increasing efficacy a little, is more of a booster for the coverage to last longer. There’s really no need to hold out that long.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Football fans

Post by Redrobe fan »

Some areas are way ahead of schedule. 40-49 year olds are getting the vaccination in my area.

The wait for the second dose is 10-12 weeks, not 3-4 months, and full immunity is reached in 3 weeks, not one month. So the dates suggested above are OTT.
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Football fans

Post by Ste_B »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:13 am Some areas are way ahead of schedule. 40-49 year olds are getting the vaccination in my area.

The wait for the second dose is 10-12 weeks, not 3-4 months, and full immunity is reached in 3 weeks, not one month. So the dates suggested above are OTT.
Agreed.

I was immediately given a second vaccine date exactly eleven weeks after my first - so more like two and a half months.

As FP says, the risk is thought to be significantly reduced after one dose - and those last to receive their vaccine are those least at risk of serious harm.

As for infection rates, it will be interesting to see how it rises and falls between now and then. I’ve not heard a reasonable argument for why numbers won’t rocket again once schools return, but we’ll see. Hopefully it wouldn’t make much of a difference to the numbers in hospital, or deaths.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Football fans

Post by Redrobe fan »

Rocket? There will probably be spikes in the coming months, but the numbers will be much lower than we have seen.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Football fans

Post by portexileinbath »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:53 am Rocket? There will probably be spikes in the coming months, but the numbers will be much lower than we have seen.
Yes rocket like they did after xmas. Schools are going back and the holiday business will soon be starting up again, new variants will be brought back frim tourist destinations, to join the mutations that occur here.
I find the reaistance to making such a small effort to doing such a simple thing amazing. I wish you could talk to a couple of people i know, one is a care home worker who is mentally destroyed by the sight if residents dying, Due to the nature of her work she is accostomed to death, but not like she has seen during this pandemic. The other is a relative who is a specialist cardiologist who volunteered to work in a high dependancy covid ward, she now has long covid and is almost incapable if doing anything for herself.
It's just wearing a mask, nobody is asking you to put your head in a bucket of boiling oil, it wont hurt, will it ?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Football fans

Post by Redrobe fan »

portexileinbath wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:27 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:53 am Rocket? There will probably be spikes in the coming months, but the numbers will be much lower than we have seen.
Yes rocket like they did after xmas. Schools are going back and the holiday business will soon be starting up again, new variants will be brought back frim tourist destinations, to join the mutations that occur here.
I find the reaistance to making such a small effort to doing such a simple thing amazing. I wish you could talk to a couple of people i know, one is a care home worker who is mentally destroyed by the sight if residents dying, Due to the nature of her work she is accostomed to death, but not like she has seen during this pandemic. The other is a relative who is a specialist cardiologist who volunteered to work in a high dependancy covid ward, she now has long covid and is almost incapable if doing anything for herself.
It's just wearing a mask, nobody is asking you to put your head in a bucket of boiling oil, it wont hurt, will it ?
I dont need to talk to those people. I know six people who have died, one close family member who is recovering, and one health worker who has been severely emotionally affected.

I always wear a mask in public. I've always promoted it, though the benefit is somewhat limited if the space is not well ventilated.

The argument for making it mandatory to wear one on an open terrace at Haig Ave next season is relatively weak, though it would depend on the local density of people and their proximity to others.

As for spikes, unless a nasty variant emerges, the numbers just cannot be as high as previously as there simply will not be as many susceptibles in the population.
Last edited by Redrobe fan on Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exiled
----------
----------
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Re: Football fans

Post by Exiled »

Plus we’re heading into spring now, when cold and flu viruses naturally fade away, whereas we were in the depths of winter during the post-Christmas spike.
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Football fans

Post by Ste_B »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:53 am Rocket? There will probably be spikes in the coming months, but the numbers will be much lower than we have seen.
I hope you're right, but what's the argument for how this will be any different to when they opened the schools in July?

Children are now the most infected of the age groups, carrying much more infectious strains of the virus. Their parents are yet to be vaccinated but will carry on going to work etc.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Football fans

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Exiled wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:01 pm Plus we’re heading into spring now, when cold and flu viruses naturally fade away, whereas we were in the depths of winter during the post-Christmas spike.
Explain the first spike last April and May then.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Football fans

Post by Redrobe fan »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:13 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:53 am Rocket? There will probably be spikes in the coming months, but the numbers will be much lower than we have seen.
I hope you're right, but what's the argument for how this will be any different to when they opened the schools in July?

Children are now the most infected of the age groups, carrying much more infectious strains of the virus. Their parents are yet to be vaccinated but will carry on going to work etc.
As I said (!) the number of susceptible individuals will be less, therefore there will be fewer cases, and, especially, hospitalisations and deaths. There might be higher local spikes, or in particular groups, or for short periods, but over the population as a whole the numbers have to be lower. After all 22 million people have had at least one dose and another 4 million have had the disease. So, the number of susceptibles who can catch and pass on is drastically less.
Last edited by Redrobe fan on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Football fans

Post by portexileinbath »

Refrobe fan.
My sincere condolences for the losses you have suffered and my respect that you have been taking precautions.
I think we are going to have to differ on this matter. I have said all i can to try and persuade you make a little more effort for the benefit of others.
One final qustion though, would you still attend home fixtures if Southport insisted on the wearing of face coverings ?. Also would you go to an away game if required to do the same ?.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Football fans

Post by Redrobe fan »

What more effort did you have in mind?

I only go to about a quarter of games in NLN as it usually involves a 200+ mile drive each way. Yes I would go and I would wear a mask in the stand but if I should choose to go on an open terrace and there was a breeze I wouldn’t, unless it was mandatory of course, when I would certainly wear one.
I’ve had my jabs btw.
Post Reply