Football fans

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Exiled
----------
----------

Re: Football fans

Post by Exiled »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:09 pm
Exiled wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:01 pm Plus we’re heading into spring now, when cold and flu viruses naturally fade away, whereas we were in the depths of winter during the post-Christmas spike.
Explain the first spike last April and May then.
Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid and the Cheltenham Festival.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:56 pm
Ste_B wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:13 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:53 am Rocket? There will probably be spikes in the coming months, but the numbers will be much lower than we have seen.
I hope you're right, but what's the argument for how this will be any different to when they opened the schools in July?

Children are now the most infected of the age groups, carrying much more infectious strains of the virus. Their parents are yet to be vaccinated but will carry on going to work etc.
As I said (!) the number of susceptible individuals will be less, therefore there will be fewer cases, and, especially, hospitalisations and deaths. There might be higher local spikes, or in particular groups, or for short periods, but over the population as a whole the numbers have to be lower. After all 22 million people have had at least one dose and another 4 million have had the disease. So, the number of susceptibles who can catch and pass on is drastically less.
I’m not suggesting we’re going to experience a fourth wave. Perhaps it’s just that our definitions of ‘rocket’ differ slightly. As the song goes... I say ‘rocket’, you say ‘higher local spikes’.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:20 pm What more effort did you have in mind?

I only go to about a quarter of games in NLN as it usually involves a 200+ mile drive each way. Yes I would go and I would wear a mask in the stand but if I should choose to go on an open terrace and there was a breeze I wouldn’t, unless it was mandatory of course, when I would certainly wear one.
I’ve had my jabs btw.
I know the distance thing well, Bath isn't exactly local and as i have never driven it's train journeys for me. About time we got promoted, it would make life easier (for us) The thought of masks in the stand is a good idea and i agree about the terraces (to a degree). I have had my first jab and am eagerly awaiting my second.
We should probably both see a doctor for being so mad as to go to such lengths to watch Southport FC.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

There are supporters who travel the same distance much more often than me.