Rock and Roll Football @ SFC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Re: Rock and Roll Football @ SFC

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Gloucester wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:40 pm How about us playing on either Friday or Saturday 19:30 KO at home?
We've tried this many times with no improvement in gates.
Fewer away fans would come.
Midweek evening kick offs have been poorly attended for a good few years now so why would Fridays and Saturdays been any different?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

John Glendenning wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:19 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:40 am
John Glendenning wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:02 pm

The potential for attracting enough people also rests with the bands / artists booked. For example, local band Fag Ash Lil invariably have a good following and have easily "rammed" the bar to the rafters on those occasions we have had them on.
But when were they last on at the football club? 20 years ago? Longer?
I'd say there's a lot more places in town hosting free live music these days. Indeed I've seen that same band myself a few times in recent years.
So assuming the band's fee is the same regardless of venue are they likely to book an out of town gig where their loyal support has to pay to get in or a free one in town?
Last Fag Ash lil gig at the club was 2016. Lilettes (name they give to their fans :-) showed up in numbers and seemed happy enough to pay. If there is some sort of charitable element (think last time the door was split and anything taken above the band fee including raffle went to Queenscourt) people seems reasonably happy to pay. The cheaper beer prices at the bar also help.
On a slightly similar but different note, have you considered hosting a social event for adults who have a learning disability? I believe it’s also your line of work.

There is one at Bamber Bridge football club that, pre-lockdown, would get over 100 people attending every Monday. Fills their bar on a typically quiet midweek evening.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:59 pm
Gloucester wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:40 pm How about us playing on either Friday or Saturday 19:30 KO at home?
We've tried this many times with no improvement in gates.
Fewer away fans would come.
Midweek evening kick offs have been poorly attended for a good few years now so why would Fridays and Saturdays been any different?
I used to like them and I know Torquay got better crowds on Saturday nights I used enjoy going when I lived up there. It was good day out!
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Ste_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:06 pm

On a slightly similar but different note, have you considered hosting a social event for adults who have a learning disability? I believe it’s also your line of work.

There is one at Bamber Bridge football club that, pre-lockdown, would get over 100 people attending every Monday. Fills their bar on a typically quiet midweek evening.

Can't sort out the quote thing (turn it off) so this bit is from me (John Glendenning)
I think the club have/had a breakfast drop in prior to the lock-down but YES that is a good idea Ste_B. I do indeed work with people who have "learning disabilities" and we do have a few volunteers on match days at the club. In order to ensure safety at the venue it might require a few volunteers and said volunteers would need to be cleared (checked) but yes, that is certainly a possibility worthy of adding to any future discussion with the club.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Just a little bit of further information about the possibility for some sort of regular social at the club, there are - or were - several operating within the town pre pandemic. A monthly one at the Botanic and weekly ones at Birkdale Labour club and the Railway club. The one at the Labour club is the longest established and moved there about 20 years ago from what used to be a small social club on Liverpool road (now the HQ of an organisation called 1 - to - 1.) The one at the Railway club was established much more recently and has background music as opposed to any sort of disco. Attendance at the Labour club (club 25) is consistently good.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

John Glendenning wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:23 pm Just a little bit of further information about the possibility for some sort of regular social at the club, there are - or were - several operating within the town pre pandemic. A monthly one at the Botanic and weekly ones at Birkdale Labour club and the Railway club. The one at the Labour club is the longest established and moved there about 20 years ago from what used to be a small social club on Liverpool road (now the HQ of an organisation called 1 - to - 1.) The one at the Railway club was established much more recently and has background music as opposed to any sort of disco. Attendance at the Labour club (club 25) is consistently good.
I’ve set up and run a couple of them in Preston city centre (one very popular, the other not so much) - I would be happy to offer what I’ve learned if you did want to explore going down that route.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Ste_B wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:20 pm
John Glendenning wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:23 pm Just a little bit of further information about the possibility for some sort of regular social at the club, there are - or were - several operating within the town pre pandemic. A monthly one at the Botanic and weekly ones at Birkdale Labour club and the Railway club. The one at the Labour club is the longest established and moved there about 20 years ago from what used to be a small social club on Liverpool road (now the HQ of an organisation called 1 - to - 1.) The one at the Railway club was established much more recently and has background music as opposed to any sort of disco. Attendance at the Labour club (club 25) is consistently good.
I’ve set up and run a couple of them in Preston city centre (one very popular, the other not so much) - I would be happy to offer what I’ve learned if you did want to explore going down that route.
Thanks Ste, I have sent you a PM.