Terry Harkin

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
nirab

Terry Harkin

Post by nirab »

There is a program on BBC2 next Monday about Derry City FC. The TV magazine I have says that It includes an interview with Terry Harkin
Redrobe
----------
----------

Re: Terry Harkin

Post by Redrobe »

Had a look after I saw your post and it is on from 9pm and is an hour long. It seems Terry Harkin was one of the “Gang of Four” that got Derry City back to playing league football after they lost their place as a result of the troubles. I worked with someone from Derry and he had never heard of Terry Harkin but said that Harkin was like Smith in Derry. I notice there are two Harkins in the current squad. A few seasons ago former Port player John Cofie played for them.I am looking forward to the programme, thanks for the heads up.
Hat Trick Patrick
----------
----------

Post by Hat Trick Patrick »

For one awful minute I thought he died when I saw his name on this thread, but I'm glad to see that he is still with us. He was my favorite player during the "Golden Era" of the late sixties and I never got over how he was hounded out of the club by our own "supporters". I was not at the match in question but when I learned the following day how he'd been barracked during a meaningless Northern Fllodlit League game, to such an extent that he'd taken his shirt off and stormed of the pitch, I was mortified. He'd already scored 10 goals for us in 29 games that season (68/69) and been capped by Northern Ireland, but after that episode he never played for us again.
mario
----------
----------

Post by mario »

Brilliant player, what a forward line we had then!
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

What a really good Manager we had then too!!
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

Hat Trick Patrick wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 am For one awful minute I thought he died when I saw his name on this thread, but I'm glad to see that he is still with us.
That's exactly what I thought. There again, he is 79 years old ( 80 in Sept).
I remember the name well but he was coming to the end of his Southport career at the time I started watching so I missed him at his best. 31 goals in 63 (+1 sub) appearances is a pretty good strike rate.
Yellow River
----------
----------

Post by Yellow River »

Tremendous player, one of my all time favourites.
Pirate Jim
----------
----------

Post by Pirate Jim »

And mine too. I remember David Coleman on Grandstand stating that Terry had just signed for Port for £3000 from Notts County. Great forwards at that time.
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

Fascinating documentary. Terry Harkin featured a few times and he was credited with the idea of applying to play in the Republic of Ireland’s league after they had been suspended from the league in the North. Their suspension came after the opposition’s players coach had been set on fire during a match. I have heard The Brick End described as The Hotbed of Hate but by comparison we weren’t that bad. Well worth a watch even without the Southport connection.
Scot Sandgrounder
----------
----------

Post by Scot Sandgrounder »

Good to see him again and a timely and inspiring programme, given yesterday's ESL nonsense.
His son, Kevin, is about to publish his dad's biography - including his time at Haig Ave.
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

Must get a copy of that. Thanks for the heads up.