Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

If you’re a disgruntled fan of one of the so called proposed super league clubs come follow us instead....

A club where fans and volunteers matter, where players play because they enjoy it, where no VAR exists and where it doesn’t cost the earth to actually get a ticket, be welcomed and appreciated.

When fans are allowed back the thing to do is vote with your feet and your hard earned cash (you’ll have more of it left too). It’s easier than you think to do....after all you’re out of the habit of attending the so called big clubs after nearly a year of lockdowns.

Football is for fans not those who worship money....
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by portexileinbath »

If the powers that be stick with their threat of banning the clubs from all competitions and ban players from international football, who would want to join these sides, one would guess only older players who's careers are coming to an end and who's only interest is to raise as much funds for their pension pots as possible.
All of the clubs involved should get the severest punishment allowable. We have been fined and given a suspended points deduction for trying to protect our players, staff and the general public, by comparison their sins against football are in a different league and so should their punishment. Pure greed !
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

We should never have allowed foreign and particularly American owners anywhere near our clubs. I`m no fan of Liverpool but look at the damage those two idiots did to them some years ago and how Newcastle are suffering now. The Germans have got it right and have set the rest of Europe a great example.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

old gold and black wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 pm We should never have allowed foreign and particularly American owners anywhere near our clubs. I`m no fan of Liverpool but look at the damage those two idiots did to them some years ago and how Newcastle are suffering now. The Germans have got it right and have set the rest of Europe a great example.
Not sure about Germany. Everyone sees the 51% fan ownership and that's great. But it's a one team league with Bayern Munich having the monopoly on it. Apart from a few other sides winning it every now and then, the Bundesliga has been like that for years. The other clubs are not able to catch up. So is it a fair competition? Probably not.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:03 pm
old gold and black wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 pm We should never have allowed foreign and particularly American owners anywhere near our clubs. I`m no fan of Liverpool but look at the damage those two idiots did to them some years ago and how Newcastle are suffering now. The Germans have got it right and have set the rest of Europe a great example.
Not sure about Germany. Everyone sees the 51% fan ownership and that's great. But it's a one team league with Bayern Munich having the monopoly on it. Apart from a few other sides winning it every now and then, the Bundesliga has been like that for years. The other clubs are not able to catch up. So is it a fair competition? Probably not.
Definitely a more balanced league in Germany where most top clubs have a reasonable chance of success and most importantly where fans really do matter and clubs are still generally of their community. Yes clubs like bayern have excelled but so have clubs like monchengladbach....while big boys Schalke are not immune from relegation....so much better an experience that here.
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

Curious as to why Newcastle United are mentioned in a post about foreign owners. Mike Ashley was born in Walsall.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:55 pm
Definitely a more balanced league in Germany where most top clubs have a reasonable chance of success and most importantly where fans really do matter and clubs are still generally of their community. Yes clubs like bayern have excelled but so have clubs like monchengladbach....while big boys Schalke are not immune from relegation....so much better an experience that here.
Not sure I agree with this. Is it more balanced? Really? As I said, the 51% fan ownership gives the league romance. But it's Bayern, then everyone else. Ayway, it's nothing to do with Southport, haha!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

Sorry I was thinking of some one else when I mentioned Ashley but that person I was thinking of is not relevant to this subject. Liamsdoingagreatjob has got my point about the Bundesleague, and look at all the clubs that compete in the countries who are not invited to be involved in this competition, i.e. Glasgow Rangers and Celtic. If just one of the Glasgow clubs were involved what a mess that would make for the Jocks leagues. Small clubs in all leagues around Europe rely on their top clubs for the added income they make when if by good fortune they get drawn against them in domestic cup competitions. We as a club made a extra income when we drew Tranmere a couple of seasons back and look at the extra they made when they drew Spurs in the next round. By all means let the big clubs improve the structure of the European competitions but not at the expense of supporters through who they would not exist and will not survive if they continue ignore and bleed through their greed.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm
Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:55 pm

Not sure I agree with this. Is it more balanced? Really? As I said, the 51% fan ownership gives the league romance. But it's Bayern, then everyone else. Ayway, it's nothing to do with Southport, haha!

Dortmund, gladbach and even leverkusen all have decent chances. It's not just balanced about who wins the league regularly it's just more fan focused. Having been to bayern, dortmund and a couple of others, yes the are commercial but the fans are more involved and its definitely less sterile than premier league environment.....I propose we join the bundesliga...
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

I suspect the idea will be abandoned when UEFA cave in by giving these clubs guaranteed Champions League places.
It's a bargaining chip.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Is Southport one of the three clubs yet to be named?
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Redrobe fan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:44 pm Is Southport one of the three clubs yet to be named?
I reckon it could be us, colwyn bay and fc Isle of Man...about as logical if schalke 04 are in the mix...although with marines recent love in with Tottenham it could be them.

The real point is though that with undoubtedly a few more disgruntled Liverpool, city and United fans how can we get them to Haig Avenue instead...?

Perhaps an initiative to offer anyone who can prove they’ve had a season ticket at one of the ‘super six’ in say the last3 seasons a half price one with us next season? The very least would be some positive publicity and it may go somewhere towards paying that national league fine....
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

could be a few disgruntled PL fans will make their way to Haig Ave as a result of the latest moneyball manouvering, hope so.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:56 pm I suspect the idea will be abandoned when UEFA cave in by giving these clubs guaranteed Champions League places.
It's a bargaining chip.
Spot on Ralph
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Redrobe fan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:44 pm Is Southport one of the three clubs yet to be named?
Well we're an English club so that seems to put us ahead of most of Europe in the queue.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

mark thomas wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 pm could be a few disgruntled PL fans will make their way to Haig Ave as a result of the latest moneyball manouvering, hope so.
Given Liverpool are our closest club I suspect their fans will return to watching Molde or FC Tromso....
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:11 am
mark thomas wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 pm could be a few disgruntled PL fans will make their way to Haig Ave as a result of the latest moneyball manouvering, hope so.
Given Liverpool are our closest club I suspect their fans will return to watching Molde or FC Tromso....
Overseas fans are precisely the sort of fans this super league is aimed at.
People in Norway who aren't supporting a Norwegian club now because they want to support a big glamour club instead aren't going to change. Same goes for the Irish, the far east, USA etc..
It's all about worldwide viewing figures.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Indeed RR, though I met one of those Norwegian LFC fans one year while I was heading to watch us at Nuneaton, he flew in regularly making 10 or so low key away games a year.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

I sincerely hope SFC will be releasing a press statement confirming that even if we are offered a place in the euro super league, will will decline it., on the grounds that it is bad for football.
Personally i think all 6 of the English teams should be sanctioned by demotion of 5 leagues, meaning the 3 London clubs would go into the national league south and the 3 others into the north, they could then fight it out for promotion back up the leagues. In the first season this would give 3 bumper home gates to the "minnows" and with only 2 promotion places (allowing that they were good enough to finish in top and in the playoff places) at least 1 in the second season. This benefit would then year by year work its way up through the league tiers.....6 years of benefit to the smaller clubs, whats no to like ?.
Ref Liverpool fans, perhaps a cheap day return fare could be agreed with Merseyrail to bring them to Southport for the day :roll:
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

portexileinbath wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:00 pm
Ref Liverpool fans, perhaps a cheap day return fare could be agreed with Merseyrail to bring them to Southport for the day :roll:
They already do cheap day tickets on what is already the cheapest rail network. Have done for decades.
That's one of the reasons people from Southport have flocked to Anfield and Goodison over the years.
Perhaps they should make it prohibitively expensive on matchdays instead?