Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Ste_B »

Hopefully we’ll be making some sort of extra effort to attract local Liverpool or Man Utd fans to the club.

Apart from the obvious, a red away kit perhaps?
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

All over before it began. All they wanted to do was save football with shorter games as it is too long for the yoof to maintain interest.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Hope all the other clubs pull out too leaving United playing with themselves every week.....
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ste_B wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:28 pm Hopefully we’ll be making some sort of extra effort to attract local Liverpool or Man Utd fans to the club.

Apart from the obvious, a red away kit perhaps?
By all means market the club to them but we should certainly not change our club's image to reflect theirs.
Surely the point is we offer an alternative football experience to the one they're turning their backs on, so why try to create a pale imitation of it?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by portexileinbath »

:?:
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:35 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:00 pm
Ref Liverpool fans, perhaps a cheap day return fare could be agreed with Merseyrail to bring them to Southport for the day :roll:
They already do cheap day tickets on what is already the cheapest rail network. Have done for decades.
That's one of the reasons people from Southport have flocked to Anfield and Goodison over the years.
Perhaps they should make it prohibitively expensive on matchdays instead?
There is no pleasing some people.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Redrobe fan »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 pm Hope all the other clubs pull out too leaving United playing with themselves every week.....
That would certainly sap their strength.
haigavel
----------
----------
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:34 am

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by haigavel »

Redrobe fan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:40 am
Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 pm Hope all the other clubs pull out too leaving United playing with themselves every week.....
That would certainly sap their strength.
Indeed RF,,getting off at Edge Hill does require a 2.5 mile hike to Anfield.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
superbike999
----------
----------
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:21 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by superbike999 »

SFC aren't doing much to keep fans interested. I think we all know about Mark Ives by now. It's been there for at least a week. Retained list and any incoming players would be good, seeing as the season is supposed to be over
sandgrounder6
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:49 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by sandgrounder6 »

There is not a lot happening at present. If you think about it our season may be "over" but realistically we were scheduled to keep playing well into May which means players are still under contract, albeit furloughed, for a while yet so we can't do anything with them. Same at most other clubs so retained lists and new players will be delayed a while yet I think.
I am trying to get some media content out each week but if nothing is happening it makes it hard,
A series of former player interviews will be starting in the very near future and I will be doing catch ups with the Board when there is something to put out.
If anyone has additional ideas for content, bearing in mind all our media is now run by volunteers, please send them to me by e-mail rob@southportfc.net
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Ste_B »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:33 pm
Ste_B wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:28 pm Hopefully we’ll be making some sort of extra effort to attract local Liverpool or Man Utd fans to the club.

Apart from the obvious, a red away kit perhaps?
By all means market the club to them but we should certainly not change our club's image to reflect theirs.
Surely the point is we offer an alternative football experience to the one they're turning their backs on, so why try to create a pale imitation of it?
‘Alternative’ is certainly one word for the football experience we offer :D

All a moot point now I think but it’s only the away kit - and it was our image years before it was theirs.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ste_B wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:18 am
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:33 pm
Ste_B wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:28 pm Hopefully we’ll be making some sort of extra effort to attract local Liverpool or Man Utd fans to the club.

Apart from the obvious, a red away kit perhaps?
By all means market the club to them but we should certainly not change our club's image to reflect theirs.
Surely the point is we offer an alternative football experience to the one they're turning their backs on, so why try to create a pale imitation of it?
‘Alternative’ is certainly one word for the football experience we offer :D

All a moot point now I think but it’s only the away kit - and it was our image years before it was theirs.
The club's policy is to only wear a change kit in away games where our usual colours clash.
I'd be interested to know how many of these fans would flock to games at Haig Avenue because we'd chosen a change kit that would only get worn a few times a year but never at home.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

sandgrounder6 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 am There is not a lot happening at present. If you think about it our season may be "over" but realistically we were scheduled to keep playing well into May which means players are still under contract, albeit furloughed, for a while yet so we can't do anything with them. Same at most other clubs so retained lists and new players will be delayed a while yet I think.
I am trying to get some media content out each week but if nothing is happening it makes it hard,
A series of former player interviews will be starting in the very near future and I will be doing catch ups with the Board when there is something to put out.
If anyone has additional ideas for content, bearing in mind all our media is now run by volunteers, please send them to me by e-mail rob@southportfc.net
Ignore it, Rob. You guys have done a great job. Not sure what people want to hear in mid April about a semi-professional side when no football is on!? The updates, when happened and needed, have been brilliant.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
yellow mountain
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:07 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by yellow mountain »

When will it be possible to start the Wednesday walkabout again please?
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Ste_B »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:40 am
Ste_B wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:18 am
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:33 pm
By all means market the club to them but we should certainly not change our club's image to reflect theirs.
Surely the point is we offer an alternative football experience to the one they're turning their backs on, so why try to create a pale imitation of it?
‘Alternative’ is certainly one word for the football experience we offer :D

All a moot point now I think but it’s only the away kit - and it was our image years before it was theirs.
The club's policy is to only wear a change kit in away games where our usual colours clash.
I'd be interested to know how many of these fans would flock to games at Haig Avenue because we'd chosen a change kit that would only get worn a few times a year but never at home.
Who knows? People are weird. Probably none, but definitely none if you don’t try something. As we will be changing our away kit anyway it costs us absolutely nothing extra to use it to explore any ideas that could increase sales or gates.

I don’t think any marketing idea is going to cause fans to “flock to” Haig Avenue.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:32 am
sandgrounder6 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 am There is not a lot happening at present. If you think about it our season may be "over" but realistically we were scheduled to keep playing well into May which means players are still under contract, albeit furloughed, for a while yet so we can't do anything with them. Same at most other clubs so retained lists and new players will be delayed a while yet I think.
I am trying to get some media content out each week but if nothing is happening it makes it hard,
A series of former player interviews will be starting in the very near future and I will be doing catch ups with the Board when there is something to put out.
If anyone has additional ideas for content, bearing in mind all our media is now run by volunteers, please send them to me by e-mail rob@southportfc.net
Ignore it, Rob. You guys have done a great job. Not sure what people want to hear in mid April about a semi-professional side when no football is on!? The updates, when happened and needed, have been brilliant.
It is outrageous that we do not get a daily update on what Tony Mac is having for Breakfast and how many visits to the toilet Liam makes of an afternoon.

Sack everyone involved!
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Redrobe fan »

Its easy to be facetious.

It would be interesting to know what is happening about the penalties applied by the league - appeals, if any, etc. Recruitment of new secretary? Injury to George Newell? How is the club dealing with the squad - contact between players and management re fitness regimes?
David999
----------
----------
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:32 am

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by David999 »

Agree with Big Mac - Rob - surprised you have time to eat and sleep the amount you do for the club ( and other volunteers). Just Do what you do - that is massive ! Thanks Rob
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 am Its easy to be facetious.

It would be interesting to know what is happening about the penalties applied by the league - appeals, if any, etc. Recruitment of new secretary? Injury to George Newell? How is the club dealing with the squad - contact between players and management re fitness regimes?
Why don’t you volunteer and help out?
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Redrobe fan »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:00 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 am Its easy to be facetious.

It would be interesting to know what is happening about the penalties applied by the league - appeals, if any, etc. Recruitment of new secretary? Injury to George Newell? How is the club dealing with the squad - contact between players and management re fitness regimes?
Why don’t you volunteer and help out?
I’m not sure why your comment follows my suggestions for information from the club.

I do help out, by the way.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Come follow southport...a club where fans views matter

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 am Its easy to be facetious.
It is. It is also easy to expect people to drum up content. I doubt even your examples with a lot of waffle would hit 500 words. Having spent a year trying to drum up content for a website/social media for a sports organisation unable to hold events I can tell you it is exhausting and thoroughly depressing.
Post Reply