Popular or poplar

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ste_B
----------
----------

Re: Popular or poplar

Post by Ste_B »

Yet there’s a Poplar Street just round the corner.

True to the people of this country, I’m going to choose to ignore the facts and just believe it’s Poplar.

People are fed up of experts anyway.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Ste_B wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:43 am Yet there’s a Poplar Street just round the corner.
Great point and I suspect this is one of the reasons why the confusion began. That along with the trees grown behind the stand.

There are quite a few roads in the local area named after trees (Chestnut St, Walnut St, Cedar St, Hart St, Ash St, Maple St, Lime St, Oak St, Larch St) and then there's Forest Road for good measure. Haig Ave itself used to be called Ash Lane but almost certainly named after Ash Farm, and I think Ash Lane came first ahead of the roads mentioned above.

I think some of the road names above are fairly modern, though I could be wrong. IIRC on old Portchat Ralphy produced some fantastic maps of the grounds at the time, I suspect some of the road names above may be missing.

I have a vague recollection of a, sadly now deceased, friend of mine who was involved with the local authority telling me there was no particular reason for all this, they just needed some road names and went with a tree theme.

To reinforce what Dan and Ralphy have said, it was incredible common in football grounds to have a "PopUlar Side" and there is a mountain of historic news reports on the club that refer to it as the Popular Side.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

It could be officially renamed the popular poplar side.
I noticed poplar road too the other day and wondered whether it had something to do with the name
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:11 pm It could be officially renamed the popular poplar side.
I noticed poplar road too the other day and wondered whether it had something to do with the name
Whilst many grounds have sides or ends named after the nearest streets behind them It would be a bit odd to name a side of a ground after a street several hundred yards away on the opposite side.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:57 pm
Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:11 pm It could be officially renamed the popular poplar side.
Whilst many grounds have sides or ends named after the nearest streets behind them It would be a bit odd to name a side of a ground after a street several hundred yards away on the opposite side.
It would create a resolution to the eternal debate on this though!!
Interestingly (or not) there are a few grounds and sides named after streets or places that aren't directly on them (I'd have to consult Simon inglis's book to quote any accurately) I suppose the ultimate is 'the kop', named after spion kop which I believe is in south Africa and site of a battle in the Boer war, although the association of grounds with that is more a memorial than geographical thing I understand.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

It's not so much that it would be named after the road, but it's not uncommon for areas to have a lot of things that are similarly named. In Bamber Bridge there is Withy Grove Park, Withy Grove Vets, the Olde Original Withy Trees pub, the Withy Arms pub, and a street called Withy Gardens.

But it's irrelevant now we've all agreed it's Poplar.