Squad 21/22

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Squad 21/22

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Any news about new transfers or the retained list?
Roday1878
----------
----------

Re: Squad 21/22

Post by Roday1878 »

Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Some interesting names there for sure, Pond at the back, Lussey Midfielder possibilites.....
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Seen Blyth doing a lot of business
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I believe Willoughby was a target in the summer before PHIL left, though I imagine he’s out of our reach now.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

He may not be, given that he has been released. I'm surprised they retained Sampson and was surprised that SFC got money for him
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Challoner, Hanford, Winnard and Ali all gone
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

https://southportfc.net/squad-update-2/

All the details. Presume there’s 4/5 squad slots available as we’ll have a small squad again (maybe more as Marcus Wood & George Newell may not be ready for the start of the season)
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I'm disappointed that Matty Challoner has left after a disjointed season for everyone-you won't get a more committed defender at this level- and who has won this league at Chorley (he'll probably end up back there) As I feared, we are losing the vast experience of Dean Winnard who I would have involved in coaching and would even have considered for Management this season with Liam taking an advisory role-disappiinted he's left- again.Mo Ali I didn't see enough of and time for Dan Dan Hanford to move on.Marcus Wood would be on his way for me too-he's had his time to prove himself-he's injury prone and isn't hungry enough.I can see why Bolton released him.Tough on George Newell who I reckon won't play in the 2021/22 season. We are probably committed to his contract this season so another big problem there to solve.Russell Benjamin wouldn't be here for me either.This is a season where we can't afford passengers or sentiment.
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

I have to agree with Yellowfever on all counts. I hope Newell plays later in the season but he certainly won't be fit for a few months.
I presume Liam is looking for real quality in goal, centre back, right back and an aggressive midfielder, together with another forward or winger at least. If we don't bring in quality in those positions we will sadly struggle again just like last season and, whatever some of you will say, supporters are fed up with lack of any progress when other clubs on similar budgets seem to be able to do it. Our volunteers are fantastic. They alone deserve better from the Club. Come on guys, give us something to look forward to in the new season!
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Maybe some or all chose to leave.

As for Challoner, he may well be on his way back to Chorley.

I expected more from him last season.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

:?:
Last edited by Roday1878 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:51 pm Maybe some or all chose to leave.

As for Challoner, he may well be on his way back to Chorley.

I expected more from him last season.
Matty Challoner in his Championship season at Chorley was an attacking wing back, probably spending more time in the opponents half than his own.
What little I saw of him in the reduced season just gone,that didn't appear to happen in our system of play-if that was intended.
This season we have to find a system of play that supporters recognise and where the personnel involved are comfortable in their positions.
Players at this level are usually here for a reason.
Four iron
----------
----------

Post by Four iron »

Why are we keeping so many of last seasons squad,when they were shown to be inadequate?
YellowManc
----------
----------

Post by YellowManc »

Agree with Ali Challoner. Ali was a bit inconsistent and Challoner wasn't played in an attacking wing-back role, so his best skills weren't utilised. Sad to see Deano go. I thought he was a experienced presence at the back that complimented the younger centre-backs we had (Astles and Ali). I have mixed feelings on Dan being let go; one one hand he had rarely played these last two seasons due to illness & obvious disputes with Liam. However, I felt he was the best keeper we have had since we dropped to NLN.

Agree with Brianm, we need all of those players. Think we need to look for players exeperienced at this level as we have loads of young players who can add energy while the more experienced lads can keep calm under pressure and dictate the pace. Just pray we don't keep hoofing the ball in the air as it clearly has not worked in 3 years!
Kempster911
----------
----------

Post by Kempster911 »

Four iron wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:47 am Why are we keeping so many of last seasons squad,when they were shown to be inadequate?
The inadequate to sign more inadequates to replace the inadequates
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Kempster911 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:27 pm
Four iron wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:47 am Why are we keeping so many of last seasons squad,when they were shown to be inadequate?
The inadequate to sign more inadequates to replace the inadequates
Have you tried anti depressants ?.
With crowds of around 800 it is very difficult to recruit the best players, especially when other teams are getting up to 5 times that number and have much higher spending power. All we can hope is that whatever squad we assemble, Liam can get them over performing and start the ball rolling towards a better future. Having the best players is not a guarantee of success, granted, it is a massive advantage but not the be all and end all. Team spirit and desire can have a massive effect, thats what we need to build.
Four iron
----------
----------

Post by Four iron »

Quiteagree but we didnt build it last year and cannot see it happening this season with those who completetly failed last season.I have never tried anti depressants despite supportig Southport for 73 years which is a feat in itself.Keep faith with the messiah and see where it takes us.
Falkland yellow
----------
----------

Post by Falkland yellow »

Without focusing on the specific player details of the ins, outs and maybes, I am more interested in the trend and direction of travel in terms of quality particularly when compared to the other clubs we need to beat.

Unless we fill the gaps with superior players than we retain or have had in the previous 2 seasons in key positions then my conclusion would have to be that at best we are standing still, and at worst going backwards.

Optimistically I will be watching with interest the calibre of the new signings to fill the remaining squad places - and only then will we able to form firm conclusions of our direction of travel for the coming season.
Bobby
----------
----------

Post by Bobby »

Simple. Mr Kyle wants his $ back