Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Re: Squad 21/22

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

portexileinbath wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:05 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:27 pm
Four iron wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:47 am Why are we keeping so many of last seasons squad,when they were shown to be inadequate?
The inadequate to sign more inadequates to replace the inadequates
Have you tried anti depressants ?.
With crowds of around 800 it is very difficult to recruit the best players, especially when other teams are getting up to 5 times that number and have much higher spending power. All we can hope is that whatever squad we assemble, Liam can get them over performing and start the ball rolling towards a better future. Having the best players is not a guarantee of success, granted, it is a massive advantage but not the be all and end all. Team spirit and desire can have a massive effect, thats what we need to build.
Look at Alty similar crowds, they have achieved, when Watson brought his Bursca team en bloc that heralded a good period for the club, as far as I see it a New Manager would bring their own staff with new ideas & a change of "method", if the past few seasons is anything to go by no progress will be made under this Management team.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Good point about Alty. Their bounce back from relegation to NPL has been impressive. No reason why we can’t have similar ambition.
sneekes

Post by sneekes »

Four iron wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:47 am Why are we keeping so many of last seasons squad,when they were shown to be inadequate?
Because individually, some of them are adequate. You and I may differ with management on who those are, but I'm happy with 4, maybe 5 of the 6 we chose to retain

We badly need some quality in the middle though.
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

We lost our midfield talisman when David Morgan left for Accy. We didn't replace him then and we badly need to now. If we don't..........!
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Russ Benjamin for captaincy?
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Am hoping that Marcus Wood will be fit and that we can offer him a job if he is.
Think we've got some good players albeit low on numbers and experience.
Blackburn Gold
----------
----------

Post by Blackburn Gold »

A promotion winning side is not put together in one season, it is added to over a few seasons with some leaving along the way.
The ones who have gone were imho not up to standard - Hanford was no better than Tony Mac, Challoner didn't attack as much as I expected, Ali was too inconsistent, Winnard - too old & injury prone.
Now that most contracts will end today and players in the NL Divisions will be free to arrange new contracts, I hope LW will be brought back from furlough tomorrow to start the squad rebuild asap
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Can't believe we let Aguero slip past us to Barca
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

sneekes wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:46 pm
Because individually, some of them are adequate. You and I may differ with management on who those are, but I'm happy with 4, maybe 5 of the 6 we chose to retain

We badly need some quality in the middle though.
We could sign Ngolo Kante and James Rodriguez and we would be no better off because we always bypass midfield and insanely just hoof it long.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:11 pm
Can't believe we let Aguero slip past us to Barca
On a free, for goodness sake. We could have afforded the free bit and has Barcalona got a marine lake and a pier, no !. He could have been persuaded, a free Merseyrail season ticket may have sealed the deal. Ws dropped the ball there, come on Liam, thats the sort of llayer we need.
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

Think you need a p
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Redrobe wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:53 am Think you need a p
Sorry, wee mistake.
Kempster911
----------
----------

Post by Kempster911 »

portexileinbath wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:05 pm
Have you tried anti depressants ?.
With crowds of around 800 it is very difficult to recruit the best players, especially when other teams are getting up to 5 times that number and have much higher spending power. All we can hope is that whatever squad we assemble, Liam can get them over performing and start the ball rolling towards a better future. Having the best players is not a guarantee of success, granted, it is a massive advantage but not the be all and end all. Team spirit and desire can have a massive effect, thats what we need to build.
Have you tried anti deluded ?.
Takes the guy all his efforts to have them under perform.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

No complaints about the players leaving, wouldn't have complained if a few more had joined them. Although it is impossible to analyse properly until the recruitment is completed as the squad roles aren't clear. I wouldn't keep Benjamin as a regular starter, but I would have him in the squad, as an example.

Looking forward to seeing who is brought in, we need experience as last year's squad was far too young. Blending youth and experience can bring rewards, too much of either does not.

I can't say I am massively enthused about next season, I am looking forward to attending under normality more than I am looking forward to the product on the pitch. Not going to rehash old arguments but it's important we create an identity. Last season we were a mess. We weren't attacking or defensive, physical or skillful, organised or creative, disciplined or fluid... we were just a complete dog's dinner in most departments. I am less bothered about whether it's "hoofball" or something else, there is no right way to win a football match. What matters is competency in the system.
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

Nail on head Port on the Kent.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Yes cant disagree with those sentiments apart from Benjamin he doesn't seem quite good enough for this level....
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Ditto me Potk , end of September serious decision day if we’re still hopeless at home and struggle away 😱. Hoping we are flying btw and would love to eat humble pie .
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

I see Rutherford from Wrexham and Lussey from Fylde have both been released.
I'd like them both back Southport
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Few interesting names on that released list at Wrexham, either Jay Harris or Mark Carrington, would be good fits in the midfield, experience and ability having played in excess of thirty games last term. Maybe Paul Rutherford and or James Horsfield too.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm I see Rutherford from Wrexham and Lussey from Fylde have both been released.
I'd like them both back Southport
I thought Jordan Lussey was criminally underrated when he was with us and was on his way to being one of the best non-league midfielders we'd ever had before he was assaulted by Rob Evans at Wrexham which staggeringly only drew a yellow card. Lussey was lucky his career wasn't ended by that challenge. Don't know how he's played since he left.

Magical Ruthers will always be welcome here.