Re: Captain 21/22

Post by TrickyDicky »

Peter Clarke if we can prise him away from Tranmere
Pirate Jim
----------
----------

Post by Pirate Jim »

I agree 100 per cent. Peter Clarke would be a model captain for us. I advocated him signing for us 2/3 years ago. The problem is he’s now 39 and I’m sure we can’t afford him anyway.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Even allowing we could sign him, Would taking a 39 year old be a wise choice, from a forward looking perspective ?. In the unlikely scenario of swathes of Port fans feasting on humble pie at the end of the season what then, a new captain for next year ?.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Peter Clarke has just played every game for Tranmere in League Two. Why would he drop down to us?!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:36 pm Peter Clarke has just played every game for Tranmere in League Two. Why would he drop down to us?!
Getting old?
Storming1937
----------
----------

Post by Storming1937 »

How old is MacMillan.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

39 years old, as I am sure you are aware. Huge differences in the physical demands on a goalkeeper.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

35 year old Steve McNulty played in most games for League Two Tranmere before dropping down to the Conference North, so it isn't that ridiculous a suggestion.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ste_B wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:28 pm 35 year old Steve McNulty played in most games for League Two Tranmere before dropping down to the Conference North, so it isn't that ridiculous a suggestion.
I'd love to be proven wrong and we sign Clarke, but it won't happen, unless we pay well...which is what York did with McNulty. I think Clarke has proven he can still play consistently well at League Two level. The romanticist in me would love to have Clarke at HA, skippering his home town side back to the football league after two consecutive promotions!
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:26 am
Ste_B wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:28 pm 35 year old Steve McNulty played in most games for League Two Tranmere before dropping down to the Conference North, so it isn't that ridiculous a suggestion.
I'd love to be proven wrong and we sign Clarke, but it won't happen, unless we pay well...which is what York did with McNulty. I think Clarke has proven he can still play consistently well at League Two level. The romanticist in me would love to have Clarke at HA, skippering his home town side back to the football league after two consecutive promotions!
Wouldn't we all welcome promotion !. I would, living in Bath and supporting a team in the national league north is darn expensive and the thought of watching a game without at least 3 train changes each way is a dream come true. Good to hear some positive thoughts.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I agree. With another manager perhaps but he isn't a typical Watson signing. His bigger signings tend to be ones that have experience in the league we're in. Otherwise I expect we'll see the usual mix of players from the lower half of this and the league below, and the odd Connor Woods type straight out of Tommy Lawson's little black book.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ste_B wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:29 pm
I agree. With another manager perhaps but he isn't a typical Watson signing. His bigger signings tend to be ones that have experience in the league we're in. Otherwise I expect we'll see the usual mix of players from the lower half of this and the league below, and the odd Connor Woods type straight out of Tommy Lawson's little black book.
Gone are the days when we could pinch the better players in the league! Seeing as Liam likes to rehabilitate, can we bring Terry Fearns back?
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

Wouldn't we all welcome promotion !. I would, living in Bath and supporting a team in the national league north is darn expensive and the thought of watching a game without at least 3 train changes each way is a dream come true. Good to hear some positive thoughts.

You could perhaps try Twerton Park :)
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Michael wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:54 pm Wouldn't we all welcome promotion !. I would, living in Bath and supporting a team in the national league north is darn expensive and the thought of watching a game without at least 3 train changes each way is a dream come true. Good to hear some positive thoughts.

:o Language like that should be banned.
Twerton Park is for watching Bath v Port, nothing else. Who are they is the term I think :?:
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

portexileinbath wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:58 pm
Michael wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:54 pm Wouldn't we all welcome promotion !. I would, living in Bath and supporting a team in the national league north is darn expensive and the thought of watching a game without at least 3 train changes each way is a dream come true. Good to hear some positive thoughts.

:o Language like that should be banned.
Twerton Park is for watching Bath v Port, nothing else. Who are they is the term I think :?:
How long before we see a Bath v Port league game? :oops:
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Too damn long probably.
Some may find it hard to believe but Bath C probably have less chance of promotion next season than us.
A team we were able to beat with only 9 men a few years ago.