----------

Re: Southport V Barrow - Match Thread

Post by superbike999 »

Southport Football Club
@southport_fc
·
Starting XI (vs.
@BarrowAFC

Mason, Oliver, J. Doyle, Benjamin, Anson, Tharme, Woods, Carver, C. Doyle, Hmami, Bainbridge

Subs:

Munro, McMillan, Vassallo, Trialist
Four iron
----------
----------

Post by Four iron »

Carvers going to be lonely.Where are Archer and Watson?
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Archer present on the bench (but not stripped)
george
----------
----------

Re: Southport 2-1 Barrow - Match Thread

Post by george »

Enjoyed that,well done Southport, two cracking goals, good win,OK obviously Barrow have better players and bossed the second half, but even then there goalkeeper kept them in it once or twice, even the pitch played it's part,Barrow ran out of grass a time or two,
We looked like a team today, a pretty good one,..........maybe this is the season...up the port
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Agree with George, a good display and it seems we’re building gradually as each performance looks better then the last. Largely a 5-3-2 with Anson, C.Doyle & Tharme centre halves, Oliver & J.Doyle wing backs, Bainbridge, Benjamin & Hmami in midfield and Woods/Archer up front. Just the fact that Carver isn’t alone in the forward line works in our favour as Marcus doesn’t have two men on him all the time. Again, having Connor on the ball in the opposition half is essential, he’s got tons of skill, has good ideas, can pick a pass and has a great shot on him. If 5-3-2 proves to be our best formation I’d love us to stick with it - we abandoned it in the League last season after a few poor performances but it allows us to vary attacks instead of playing only one way.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

I'm getting a little excited!
Great performance from the team. Woods looks broader and stronger, Carver is working so hard and looking lively. The midfield of Bainbridge Hmami and Benjamin really were fabulous at times.
We've got a solid keeper for sure in Cam Mason and the defence looked assured except for a couple of crosses but I'm sure we will sort that out. Tharme throws are something else.
Well done lads!
Oh and a big thank you for the volume reduction today in the Main Stand and hopefully the new speakers have done the trick on the far side. Great work as always, sorry for the moan last week but we all commented how much better it was today, much appreciated 👍👏👏
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Agree with what has been said,was enjoyable afternoon. Well played lads.also one less main stand moaner.🤭
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

A fiesty friendly, the final score could have been 10 - 4 to the port, the defence stood up well to a very tall Barrow team, Bainbridge had his best game in a Southport shirt, I liked the look of the 2nd half sub up front who held the ball up well, whilst not getting too carried away with this game the signs are good. Southport had good intensity all round the pitch, if this could be maintained who knows. We looked extremely fit also.
Pity there wasn't a few more to witness a good game......my Grandson was a first time visiter today & he was impressed & that takes some doing.... :lol:
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

How did Munro fare?
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 pm How did Munro fare?
Wasn't on for very long really...he was good v Marine tho...
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 pm How did Munro fare?
Only on for maybe 15 minutes today, too little to make a judgment. I like him from what I’ve seen in previous friendlies, keeps things ticking over and protects the defence with neat passing & timely tackling
tomherold
----------
----------

Post by tomherold »

Purring
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Ian and Liam’s post match interview was reassuring.

Liam’s clearly not getting carried away by what seems to have been a positive pre-season so far, but overall appears to be happy enough with where we’re at.

Ian’s point about the sheer unpredictability of Conf N 21/22 was a good one I thought, after two lost seasons, nobody’s really got established form or genuine playing momentum.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

I agree pretty well what was said but perhaps a goal scorer or an astute forward in the "Arnie mold" ie the lad who came on in the 2nd half yesterday would be pure gold in this division I would have thought...
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

I got the impression from Liam that he wasn't planning on any signings? (or did I not hear it right?)
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

superbike999 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:42 pm I got the impression from Liam that he wasn't planning on any signings? (or did I not hear it right?)
You are correct. Money is really tight, unless Dion Charles moves on.
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

Perhaps now, someone can release the name of the mystery trialist ;)
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

loyal jay wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:25 am Perhaps now, someone can release the name of the mystery trialist ;)
Are we allowed?
23 yr old had multiple clubs and never stayed at any of them for very long. You have to question if he would fit in.
Another talent that has gone off the rails that Liam has tried to rescue.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Paulisi wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:38 pm Are we allowed?
23 yr old had multiple clubs and never stayed at any of them for very long. You have to question if he would fit in.
Another talent that has gone off the rails that Liam has tried to rescue.
He does bring a spark that no other player in the team is capable of, and he is versatile having played as a centre forward in one of his short spells. Mercurially talented no doubt, and considering the level he is supposedly playing at right now I'm sure he'd jump at the opportunity to play Conf North football for a season or 2, therefore meaning he wouldn't eat much into our already tight budget. Did Liam actually confirm on the interview that we wouldn't sign him? As how I understood it he wasn't looking at any more players than the ones he already has, suggesting The Trialist Who Shall Not Be Named may well be counted by Liam as one of his own players now.