Brackley Town 1-0 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ste_B
----------
----------

Re: Brackley Town 1-0 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Ste_B »

Brianm wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:05 am We must bring in a couple of experienced loan players immediately if we have no cash to bring in permanent signings. Liam is supposed to know the local non-League like the back of his hand, so bring a couple of players in. Where are our supposed friends, Liam, John Cole and the like?
If any clubs above us had any unwanted experienced players they'd have likely shifted them a few months ago, and no clubs in the leagues below are going to lend us their best players for a month.
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:07 pm I do scratch my head with some of the panic going on from supporters.
I have to agree with Liam when he said many would of looked at our first 8 league fixtures (that the fixture computer spat out so cruelly for us) and would of said we'll be lucky to get some points from that lot.
We aren't getting thumped.
We aren't getting outplayed.
Let's have a bit of calm, patience and get behind the players, manager and board.
It's not being negative not expecting much from these first eight matches against clubs who are full time and with enormous budgets.
It's all well and good saying we need more money spent, where from?
The Commercial guy is working his nuts off apparently and Ian said last week we'd love new investment if anyone wants to step on board they're welcome.
Yes we are a bit thin on the ground on numbers but their is no point just bringing in players for the sake of it.
Trust in Liam, he knows his squad more than we do and his contacts and scouts will be looking for suitable loans or new players.
Let's all just calm down and see where we are by the Christmas/New Year period.
Doom and gloom comments on here doesn't give confidence to our very young squad does it. 💛🖤👍
I have to admire your optimism, fair play to you but to the majority there is a strong hint of delusion in that optimism. When you are looking with envy at clubs like Brackley and Spennymoor there is something rotten in the State of Denmark.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

It is what it is as Liam would say! 😉
If you can find a magic money genie then great but I think you maybe the delusional one!
We have to live with what we have and as I say ,I don't think it's as bad as a lot are making out. If we were playing appallingly and getting stuffed I'd be the first having a whinge, I promise you!...but we're not!
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I think we ought to be able to put a reasonably competitive squad together at this level even without a huge amount of investment, and hopefully it will prove to be so - it is a very tough start and we are arguably a bit unfortunate to only have three points. Sadly, it feels like we are still paying for the ludicrous incompetence and excess of the couple of years before COVID came along. You can't really blame people for being a bit edgy when we can't put a fit 16 out.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

Ralphy Rylance » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:32 am

Brianm wrote: ↑Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:05 am
Our Commercial Manager should be knocking on every door in the town pleading for sponsorship to keep our Club alive.
So when he knocks on yours how much are young going to stump up?

Stupid question as it's none of your business, but I've done my bit in the past and no doubt will in the future but I am not a commercial business.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:07 pm I do scratch my head with some of the panic going on from supporters.
I have to agree with Liam when he said many would of looked at our first 8 league fixtures (that the fixture computer spat out so cruelly for us) and would of said we'll be lucky to get some points from that lot.
Let's have a bit of calm, patience and get behind the players, manager and board.
It's not being negative not expecting much from these first eight matches against clubs who are full time and with enormous budgets.
The Commercial guy is working his nuts off apparently and Ian said last week we'd love new investment if anyone wants to step on board they're welcome.
Yes we are a bit thin on the ground on numbers but their is no point just bringing in players for the sake of it.
Trust in Liam, he knows his squad more than we do and his contacts and scouts will be looking for suitable loans or new players.
Doom and gloom comments on here doesn't give confidence to our very young squad does it. 💛🖤👍
Is "enormous" the correct description?
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Brianm wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:51 pm

Stupid question as it's none of your business, but I've done my bit in the past and no doubt will in the future but I am not a commercial business.
Neither is "every door in the town" so it would be rather an unproductive exercise given the vast majority of the town have no interest in the club.
I'm sure the commercial manager will be focusing his efforts where they're likely to have some success.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:48 pm
Is "enormous" the correct description?
I think so yes when you look at full time budgets compared to part time budgets. I think enormous covers it! 😉👍
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

''Neither is "every door in the town" so it would be rather an unproductive exercise given the vast majority of the town have no interest in the club.
I'm sure the commercial manager will be focusing his efforts where they're likely to have some success.''

Gosh, wish I was as clever as you Ralphy! Every word is not meant to be taken literally. Less 'clever' people than you would know exactly what I meant. Perhaps you would care to come up with something constructive now?
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:57 pm It is what it is as Liam would say! 😉
If you can find a magic money genie then great but I think you maybe the delusional one!
We have to live with what we have and as I say ,I don't think it's as bad as a lot are making out. If we were playing appallingly and getting stuffed I'd be the first having a whinge, I promise you!...but we're not!
I've been to a couple of the home games and we should have beaten Kidderminster and battled to a slightly fortunate point against Gateshead so we are competing on our own patch at least yes but naming injured players as subs and having no youth policy to bring your own through is poor, really poor. Clubs much smaller on paper than Southport are trying to feed youngsters through to their first team. I understand we probably got a bit giddy with recruitment and wages under the previous owner but elements of the club smack of amateurism to my eye.
Kempster911
----------
----------

Post by Kempster911 »

Stratford Excile wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:22 pm
Unibond Awakes wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:09 pm This is rapidly shaping up to our worst season in the last 9 of absolute drivel with imo a fight to avoid yet a further demotion....... it is clear when you review these seasons we are getting lower & lower each time and these so called weaker teams all seem to be picking up points ... You don’t hear John Coleman , Mark Cooper & the Derek Adams the Morecambe Manager moaning about so called bigger clubs budgets finances etc etc making excuses after excuses they just get on motivating and driving a performance out of their teams ...the bottom line is 3 points out of 18 ..it’s unacceptable
Totally correct.

I do not believe that Ian Kyle nor Liam Watson have any ambitions to move the club forward,the only goal seems to be to survive and stay in business.

I was never Charlie Clapham’s biggest fan but just look how far back our club has gone since his departure.

That just sums up how bad the current situation is.
Brianm wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:05 am Nice one from Port on the Kent! Bottom line is that we don't even have a proper squad of players. Putting injured players on the bench is nonsense. We must bring in a couple of experienced loan players immediately if we have no cash to bring in permanent signings. Liam is supposed to know the local non-League like the back of his hand, so bring a couple of players in. Where are our supposed friends, Liam, John Cole and the like?.Ian Kyle, nice fella that he seems to be, seems to be totally naive and relying completely on Liam and whatever he says. I really hate to criticise, believe it or not, because I know how hard it must be, but we just can't go on like this relying on a miniscule squad and waiting for the so called easier games to come along. There aren't any easier games! Our Commercial Manager should be knocking on every door in the town pleading for sponsorship to keep our Club alive. Liam and Ian should be pulling in any favour they can on the playing side. This is no time for pride from any of them. We have a great ground, pitch and supporters but the first two are no use to us in a lower League with gates of 300 again. Sorry to again sound so pessimistic, but we have put up with this for years. It is only getting worse and no-one can tell me otherwise.
True - has Kyle in his pocket. Looks like cap in hand to Coleman once again.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:15 pm
Brianm wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:05 am We must bring in a couple of experienced loan players immediately if we have no cash to bring in permanent signings. Liam is supposed to know the local non-League like the back of his hand, so bring a couple of players in. Where are our supposed friends, Liam, John Cole and the like?
If any clubs above us had any unwanted experienced players they'd have likely shifted them a few months ago, and no clubs in the leagues below are going to lend us their best players for a month.
‘Experienced players’ perhaps not but ‘players’ are being loaned to clubs in our League. I’m sure there’s feelers out there and expect players to come in this week as not having enough players for the bench isn’t a good look. It also means those who are selected for the first XI are having to play full matches. A few of our opponents so far have had 20-24 players in their squads so may want to give players short spells out playing matches.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

SteH90 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:51 pm
Ste_B wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:15 pm
‘Experienced players’ perhaps not but ‘players’ are being loaned to clubs in our League. I’m sure there’s feelers out there and expect players to come in this week as not having enough players for the bench isn’t a good look. It also means those who are selected for the first XI are having to play full matches. A few of our opponents so far have had 20-24 players in their squads so may want to give players short spells out playing matches.
Agreed. There's also no competition for places so if 'Joe Bloggs' has a bad game, he knows he's playing the next game. Creates a poor mentality and culture.

It certainly isn't a good look all round.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:14 pm
Brianm wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:51 pm Stupid question as it's none of your business, but I've done my bit in the past and no doubt will in the future but I am not a commercial business.
Neither is "every door in the town" so it would be rather an unproductive exercise given the vast majority of the town have no interest in the club.
I'm sure the commercial manager will be focusing his efforts where they're likely to have some success.
You might like to consider why "the vast majority of the town have no interest in the club"
john riley

Post by john riley »

Why so many negative comments Southport Visiter Thursday 9th September Southport still exceeding expectation
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:57 pm It is what it is as Liam would say! 😉
We have played 5 of the top 6 teams (+ Glos).
We have a threadbare squad.
We have not been thrashed by anyone.
We have a young squad thag is learning and improving.

Things are nowhere near as bad as the habitual moaners would have us believe. Rather than continually berating everything to do with the club from the chairman & manager downwards, why not offer some encouragent for a change.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Not sure why you have picked on Yellow Taxi, his comments make it clear that he is not one of the moaners
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Michael wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm
You might like to consider why "the vast majority of the town have no interest in the club"
It's been that way for the entire existence of the club and is unlikely to change during my lifetime so forgive me if I don't spend too much time mulling it over, but I'd suggest it's because we haven't been very good at winning football matches for most of that time.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Whether you think we have the makings of a good side or not (time will tell on that one). Or If Liam is or isn’t the right man to manage the club moving forwards, One thing everyone must surely agree on, is that its odd that we haven’t strengthened the squad after the start and the number of players carrying injuries given the small size of the squad to start with?

It just doesn’t stack up or make any sense to me and Ian was clear that Liam has free reign to strengthen whenever he wants so why haven’t players come in?

Elements of the current structure and personnel I find uncomfortable and would therefore be no doubt classed as a moaner but we all want to see the side playing well and winning games before the unthinkable becomes a reality.

No panicking yet as I think we aren’t that far away but the solutions seems so obvious I must be missing something?
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:03 pm
We have played 5 of the top 6 teams (+ Glos).
We have a threadbare squad.
We have not been thrashed by anyone.
We have a young squad thag is learning and improving.

Things are nowhere near as bad as the habitual moaners would have us believe. Rather than continually berating everything to do with the club from the chairman & manager downwards, why not offer some encouragent for a change.
People are allowed to voice their discontent, especially matchgoers who hand over their cash. Decades of false dawns wear people down and the relegation zone of the sixth tier is not a place for huge undeluded optimism. I admire people who back the club no matter what but those people will be saying there is no need to panic when we are playing Hesketh Casuals on Meols Park in the district league and won't hear a bad word said. It's been repeated but the injured substitute issue IS an embarrassment and yet there seems no rush to bring a body or two in. Stinks a bit.