York City Away Travel

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Yellow_Army
----------
----------

York City Away Travel

Post by Yellow_Army »

YORK CITY Away Travel Announcement

We are pleased to announce we will be running a coach to York away on Saturday 9th October leaving Haig Ave at 10AM

Adults £20
U18 £18

To book please call Rich on 07871 827984 or email theyellowarmy1881@gmail.com
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Re: York City Away Travel

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

10am 😂…it’s only a two hour drive!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Gilbert69
----------
----------

Post by Gilbert69 »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:50 pm 10am 😂…it’s only a two hour drive!
Not quite sure what you find so amusing . These lads are putting travel on for fans . Why does it matter how early they want to leave ? The majority of people want to get to an away ground early . Explore nearby pubs / towns and not feel rushed . Well done lads 👌👏
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:50 pm 10am 😂…it’s only a two hour drive!
York races are on. Also, I've never understood how anyone watches us sober - a couple of hours to stop the screaming in one's head is the minimum requirement really.

The sad demise of Bootham Crescent and the move to the presumably soulless out-of-town Subbuteo stadium means York is no longer the perfect away trip, where you could be capitivated by the magnificence of the Minster, inspired by walking in the footprints of history, and absolutely hammered by kick-off all at once. We can't have nice things in this division.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

And I believe it’s costing a small fortune to get into York’s new community (as long as you can afford it) stadium as an away fan.....
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:50 pm And I believe it’s costing a small fortune to get into York’s new community (as long as you can afford it) stadium as an away fan.....
Let's TRASH THE GAFF.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:50 pm And I believe it’s costing a small fortune to get into York’s new community (as long as you can afford it) stadium as an away fan.....
£20 for an adult ticket and £5 to park.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:29 pm
York races are on. Also, I've never understood how anyone watches us sober - a couple of hours to stop the screaming in one's head is the minimum requirement really.

The sad demise of Bootham Crescent and the move to the presumably soulless out-of-town Subbuteo stadium means York is no longer the perfect away trip, where you could be capitivated by the magnificence of the Minster, inspired by walking in the footprints of history, and absolutely hammered by kick-off all at once. We can't have nice things in this division.
Thank you for not being sensitive, Ronnie 👍.

By all accounts, the new stadium provides a welcome chance to check out York’s Aldi and browse for a new car.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I'm sure there will be places for people to eat/drink near the new ground - I just thought I would have a long-winded whinge about the horrid modern world whilst I was here. I am sure there are tediously sensible financial and logistical reasons for the ground move, but who wants to be all rational and realistic about football? Mad people, that's who.

I don't live in Southport so it won't be an option for me, but it's good that someone has taken on organising the travel - well done to everyone involved.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

The larger the squad the higher the clubs running costs. Maybe it's time for us to raise prices to fund our squad. With a couple of additions our squad would be good enough to compete with all the clubs in this league.
Food for thought ?
ripple
----------
----------

Post by ripple »

portexileinbath wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:33 am The larger the squad the higher the clubs running costs. Maybe it's time for us to raise prices to fund our squad. With a couple of additions our squad would be good enough to compete with all the clubs in this league.
Food for thought ?
It's probably better that initiatives be taken to improve current attendances rather than raise ticket prices. Alienating the fan base with a raise in prices is likely to reduce attendances and overall income rather than having the desired intended outcome.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

portexileinbath wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:33 am The larger the squad the higher the clubs running costs. Maybe it's time for us to raise prices to fund our squad. With a couple of additions our squad would be good enough to compete with all the clubs in this league.
Food for thought ?
I was coincidentally looking at our attendances the other day and It's a hard no from me on raising ticket prices.

A quick look at our average attendance shows we are having difficulties getting people through the door:

04/05 - 1st Con North (Promoted) - 1021
05/06 - 18th Con - 1218
06/07 - 23rd Con (Relegated) - 1168
07/08 - 4th Con North (lost playoff) - 1019
08/09 - 5th Con North (lost playoff) - 863
09/10 - 1st Con North (Promoted) - 852
10/11 - 21st Con - 1154
11/12 - 7th Con - 1319
12/13 - 20th Con - 968
13/14 - 18th Con - 1036
14/15 - 19th Con - 1107
15/16 - 16th Con - 1133
16/17 - 23rd Con (Relegated) - 1146
17/18 - 15th Con North - 958
18/19 - 14th Con North - 1067
19/20 - 12th Con North (unweighted ppg) - 978
20/21 - Conf North (void) - 583
21/22 - Conf North - 840

(Based on average home attendances subtracting non first class games and anomalous results like Tranmere FAC)

Few things to note here:
- The 20/21 result is another anomaly, little statistical merit here, but, our crowds have been slowly dropping for three years.
- But, when you compare the 17/18 and 18/19 attendances to 07/08 and 08/09, even though we have been less competitive, our attendance has risen. Either we've found and extra 100-150 regulars or we have more travelling support given the strength of the league.

We can't afford to make it more difficult or more costly for people to come and watch Southport FC. We need to be realistic. While anyone spending any time on Portchat is clearly already passionate about the club and would likely be happy to pay an extra couple of quid we need to focus on two fronts: 1) Fans who have drifted away (and there are plenty) but more importantly 2) people who like football, but haven't discovered SFC yet.The town is full of them.

2 is by far the bigger catchment opportunity. You will find a lot of our current fans watched a bigger team, likely on TV or went to the odd game at Anfield or Old Trafford or wherever, and discovered us on a big occasion.

There are more pro football clubs within 50 miles of Manchester than any other area of Europe (Syzmanski, 2015). National League North football, across the entire league, is far too expensive to watch. When you consider the costs the club incurs, the price is reasonable, though those costs are often scandalous. Not the club's fault. We don't get reductions on insurance, or travel, or kit, or equipment, or the ridiculous cost of the league's branded footalls just because we're lower down the pyramid.

The two big opportunities the club has in marketing to newcomers are 1) Big one events like FAC Tranmere and 2) International weekends. We should be plastering the town every time England are playing, because there is no PL competition.

Looking forward, it's worth keeping an eye on the discussion around streaming. The 3pm blackout is dying, give it 5 years tops. Streaming is going to be the next TV boom. Hopefully we're in on the ground floor with an organised set-up because when Man Utd and Liverpool can show or stream their own 3pm Saturday games, that could be really brutal on clubs like Southport.

All that said, there is evidence lowering the price doesn't increase the crowds enough to cover the shortfall. I appreciate that undermines my own argument. But we had circa 3,500-4000 fans at Tranmere, similiar numbers at Derby. What can we do to get the missing 3,200 back? We can assume that for every 800 in the ground, it's reasonable to guess there could be another 800 who would be there but can't attend for various reasons. Work, living away, other activities. That takes us down to a missing 1,600 semi-interested fans. Raising the prices isn't going to bring them back.

It's a massively difficult question faced by most clubs. But I don't believe raising ticket prices is the right answer.
ripple
----------
----------

Post by ripple »

It's a somewhat chicken and egg scenario. The standard on show needs to improve for people to return but that is extremely unlikely to happen when the we haven't the proverbial pot.
The only other extreme is to offer season tickets for so cheap its almost worth having one on the off chance you might attend - but as mooted we are likely to never recoup the total shortfall of loss in revenue.
The town is probably more apathetic about the club then ever before. The fanfare of the Hodgkinson era brought lots of attention but fell off a cliff and people lost interest. The current austerity measures are stifling the club and the seemingly threadbare squad will have impact on this. I've not attended any games so far this season and I'm not likely to do so either unless performances improve. I've found lots of different things to do over the past 18 months and I'm guessing lots of people will feel the same.

The club should have tried to really embrace the return of live football post-lockdown. You see or hear nothing of what's going on or if there's even a game unless you actively consume SFC information. A passive supporter probably has no idea when a game is taking place.

As a starter - we should really look to work on novelty factors too - having a few pints whilst watching a live game isn't something fans of teams above will have or will ever experience so why not offer some sort of incentive? Entry to the ground and a free pint?
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

ripple wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:30 pm It's a somewhat chicken and egg scenario. The standard on show needs to improve for people to return but that is extremely unlikely to happen when the we haven't the proverbial pot.
The only other extreme is to offer season tickets for so cheap its almost worth having one on the off chance you might attend - but as mooted we are likely to never recoup the total shortfall of loss in revenue.
The town is probably more apathetic about the club then ever before. The fanfare of the Hodgkinson era brought lots of attention but fell off a cliff and people lost interest. The current austerity measures are stifling the club and the seemingly threadbare squad will have impact on this. I've not attended any games so far this season and I'm not likely to do so either unless performances improve. I've found lots of different things to do over the past 18 months and I'm guessing lots of people will feel the same.

The club should have tried to really embrace the return of live football post-lockdown. You see or hear nothing of what's going on or if there's even a game unless you actively consume SFC information. A passive supporter probably has no idea when a game is taking place.

As a starter - we should really look to work on novelty factors too - having a few pints whilst watching a live game isn't something fans of teams above will have or will ever experience so why not offer some sort of incentive? Entry to the ground and a free pint?
A. If you haven’t attended a game this season, how do you know what the performances have been like?
B. As a general rule of thumb, games tend to be played on Saturday afternoons between August and April.
ripple
----------
----------

Post by ripple »

tonyhey wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:49 pm
ripple wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:30 pm It's a somewhat chicken and egg scenario. The standard on show needs to improve for people to return but that is extremely unlikely to happen when the we haven't the proverbial pot.

A. If you haven’t attended a game this season, how do you know what the performances have been like?
B. As a general rule of thumb, games tend to be played on Saturday afternoons between August and April.
A. I can read. Reports have suggested the performances have been abject and the results themselves hardly make good reading.
B. I'm sure all football fans could make said assumption, so I'll make sure I turn up at Haig Avenue tomorrow for the fixture against someone. Oh, wait...
C. Dont be so arrogant. I'm glad that all is rosy in the garden! I've taken the time to be involved in a discussion. I'm more engaged then the average casual supporter but an attitude such as yours will ensure things don't improve.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Very reasonable cost when you look at the cost of parking there? Well done to the people that organise it!
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

ripple’s post is an interesting insight into the mind of that contradiction in terms, the ‘passive supporter.’

a) poorly informed – which sources – specifically - have labelled Port ‘abject’ this season? Match attendees and even rival managers confirm that we have a promising young side.

b) utterly apathetic – can’t even be bothered checking the Vis weekly – what are the club supposed to do, send you an emblazoned scroll daily by courier? Hire a town crier?

c) fairly precious – ‘if people contradict me on here, I shall continue to stay away.’ 0.0
ripple
----------
----------

Post by ripple »

mark thomas wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:35 am ripple’s post is an interesting insight into the mind of that contradiction in terms, the ‘passive supporter.’

a) poorly informed – which sources – specifically - have labelled Port ‘abject’ this season? Match attendees and even rival managers confirm that we have a promising young side.

b) utterly apathetic – can’t even be bothered checking the Vis weekly – what are the club supposed to do, send you an emblazoned scroll daily by courier? Hire a town crier?

c) fairly precious – ‘if people contradict me on here, I shall continue to stay away.’ 0.0
A. The reading of reports on Port Chat have hardly been inspiring and neither have the results. Take a look at the league table.
B. I know when they are and who Southport are playing. My point is that probably 90 - 95% of the towns population won't have a clue. Does the Visiter even exist? The Champion provides zero coverage of SFC content whenever I've fingered through.
C. I won't bother again. And I certainly know how to be made to feel welcome. I don't think I'm being overly sensitive; I think it's more the other way around.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

ripple wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 am
mark thomas wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:35 am ripple’s post is an interesting insight into the mind of that contradiction in terms, the ‘passive supporter.’

A. The reading of reports on Port Chat have hardly been inspiring and neither have the results. Take a look at the league table.
B. I know when they are and who Southport are playing. My point is that probably 90 - 95% of the towns population won't have a clue. Does the Visiter even exist? The Champion provides zero coverage of SFC content whenever I've fingered through.
C. I won't bother again. And I certainly know how to be made to feel welcome. I don't think I'm being overly sensitive; I think it's more the other way around.
A. With the exception of Brackley last week, Southport’s performances this season have been good, although results haven’t necessarily reflected this.
B. The Champion has a full match report from Jon O’Byrne after EVERY game.
C. We do need to increase the fan base, but with fans, not whingers like you.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

We have reached and arguably surpassed acceptable conduct towards other members. Let's leave it all there...