Chorley 2-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Re: Chorley 2-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Post by Port on the Kent »

Probably a fair result, we didn't deserve to lose but again, this should have been an away victory with a little more composure and nouse in key moments. Fine margins in all our games.

To go in 0-2 down at HT was tough to take. The first goal was dire defending, the reshuffled back three all at sea, I think it was Doyle who got nowhere near his man in the air and Anson was left ball watching as his man pulled off his shoulder to go through. We have chopped and changed between a back three and four recently, that lack of consistency and rhythm can be hard for players to adapt to when it's a different shape each week. I am probably making excuses for them, you need to do better.

At the other end, a flowing counter attack initiated by Hmami and Carver saw Woods put through and he screwed wide when he must score. Jack Doyle hit the bar having overlapped down the side, before a long throw was headed off the line. Three golden opportunites missed were compounded when Tharme got stuck with the ball under his feet and was robbed in his own penalty area. Individual error and not much else you can say.

That first half summed up our season, just as many opportunities as our opponents, just as much possession, just as many second balls won, nothing in the game... but because of inexperience in both boxes, it's two nil. You can't fault the energy and effort but the knowhow isn't there. You look to the bench, seven subs allowed and three vacant places. Only three outfield players. The lads playing on Carr Lane of a Sunday can normally muster more subs than that, this has been discussed already, but a step six team playing in a hybrid full-time/part-time league should not be this impoverished in personnel week in week out.

The one thing this team will give you is endeavour, I haven't seen heads drop or a lack of effort for a minute this season. It's testament to their character that we haven't won in seven matches, but morale remains defiant. For all the pitfalls of inexperience, one thing we do have is legs and that came into the game second half. Woods redeemed himself, a curling strike halved the deficit. Port pressed, Hmami spurned two free kicks and the game became stretched. The visitors became a little desperate, whenever the final third was reached one of the wing backs would bang a hopeful ball in. The Chorley backline was kept so high, these balls never troubled the right area. Playing in this formation, Woods is forced inside and never had the opportunity to beat his full back as often as when we can play wider. A tactical switch to a back four with Niall replacing Tharme set him free. Now wider and unimpeded by his own full back, he collected the ball on the right hand side, got behind his man a drilled a low cross, which Marcus Carver turned home deftly. The former Chorley man tried not to celebrate but he wasn't given the choice!

The referee called time on an entertaining encounter with positives and negatives. I don't like the back five, never have done, the switch to a four yielded a late goal and I hope we take that on. A comeback feels like a win, but with calmer heads and composure there is no way we should have left ourselves in that position. That being said, you can't doubt the effort and committment on show and we go again Tuesday.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Enjoyable match.
Not at the races for the first 15 mins. Started with a four, but very quickly went to a back 5.
Soft goals to concede. A long ball and a silly back pass.
The last 30 mins of the first half was even and Connor missed a sitter.

Second half was all Southport. We looked fitter and won lots of second ball and deserved to get a replay.

Tharme came off injured, let's hope he is fit, for Tuesday and hopefully Jordan will also be available as we are still very thin with Connor not fully fit and Isaac still struggling from an injury at the weekend

Great noise from the boys behind the goal, it certainly gave the players a lift.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Some say that doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result is a sign of madness, that said fair play to the team,they give everything, a couple of experienced players in the right areas, and we would have a cracking team,roll on Tuesday, a win is coming, up the port!!
Route66
----------
----------

Post by Route66 »

A well deserved result. We were all over the place in the first 15 minutes but gradually found our feet and matched Chorley in every department. Great comeback in the 2nd half. We finished the stronger team. Terrific attitude from all the team. Heads could easily have gone down after giving two soft goals away. It would be great to get a win on Tuesday. Chorley are no world beaters but they will still take some beating. A win would do wonders for the confidence of the players. They should feel proud of their comeback today!
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Amazing attitude. Fantastic comeback against a side who are, going forward, bang in form.

Now, please, let’s build on this by completing the job in the replay.

Then let’s back these youngsters with the old head or two that they need to see them through a full campaign. Easier said than done, I know, but we have to be ambitious to an extent.

Up the ‘port!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
David999
----------
----------

Post by David999 »

Can only echo the positive reactions on here from those who witnessed a 100% show of effort yet again . Liam has assembled a set of young guns , who though admittedly need the old head (S) among them , continue to go at it inspite of going behind or losing late goals .I was proud of them and the fantastic support today - Ian says money is there for extra players ( loans will be fine ) do Liam give us a full fit bench ( at least) if you have those players in mind ? Playing like that is making watching a pleasure - onwards and upwards .
40 years a yellow
----------
----------

Post by 40 years a yellow »

Great fightback, great attitude shown in the second half and great support from the fans. Now please finish the job on Tuesday and give us all something to shout about
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Well done lads. A dreadful, depressing first half absolutely swept aside by a magnificent second. A word for Marcus Carver - what a superb piece of centre forward play to get us the equaliser. A truly brilliant moment where we could all jump about like mad bastards - more of them please.

Our fans at the back of the small stand were absolutely magnificent throughout today, and I honestly don't think we would have got that result without them. They deserve a good season - I hope this is the turning point.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
hoofball
----------
----------

Post by hoofball »

Great comeback from the lads, we were very poor first half. Thank god half time came and Liam told the lads some home truths and they came out fighting in the second half and finally well done to Jack Carr lads for the great support and also the yellow army for running another coach

ROLL ON TUESDAY
LIAM WATSON'S YELLOW ARMY
Dicko's Gloves
----------
----------

Post by Dicko's Gloves »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:45 pm Probably a fair result, we didn't deserve to lose but again, this should have been an away victory with a little more composure and nouse in key moments. Fine margins in all our games.

To go in 0-2 down at HT was tough to take. The first goal was dire defending, the reshuffled back three all at sea, I think it was Doyle who got nowhere near his man in the air and Anson was left ball watching as his man pulled off his shoulder to go through. We have chopped and changed between a back three and four recently, that lack of consistency and rhythm can be hard for players to adapt to when it's a different shape each week. I am probably making excuses for them, you need to do better.

At the other end, a flowing counter attack initiated by Hmami and Carver saw Woods put through and he screwed wide when he must score. Jack Doyle hit the bar having overlapped down the side, before a long throw was headed off the line. Three golden opportunites missed were compounded when Tharme got stuck with the ball under his feet and was robbed in his own penalty area. Individual error and not much else you can say.

That first half summed up our season, just as many opportunities as our opponents, just as much possession, just as many second balls won, nothing in the game... but because of inexperience in both boxes, it's two nil. You can't fault the energy and effort but the knowhow isn't there. You look to the bench, seven subs allowed and three vacant places. Only three outfield players. The lads playing on Carr Lane of a Sunday can normally muster more subs than that, this has been discussed already, but a step six team playing in a hybrid full-time/part-time league should not be this impoverished in personnel week in week out.

The one thing this team will give you is endeavour, I haven't seen heads drop or a lack of effort for a minute this season. It's testament to their character that we haven't won in seven matches, but morale remains defiant. For all the pitfalls of inexperience, one thing we do have is legs and that came into the game second half. Woods redeemed himself, a curling strike halved the deficit. Port pressed, Hmami spurned two free kicks and the game became stretched. The visitors became a little desperate, whenever the final third was reached one of the wing backs would bang a hopeful ball in. The Chorley backline was kept so high, these balls never troubled the right area. Playing in this formation, Woods is forced inside and never had the opportunity to beat his full back as often as when we can play wider. A tactical switch to a back four with Niall replacing Tharme set him free. Now wider and unimpeded by his own full back, he collected the ball on the right hand side, got behind his man a drilled a low cross, which Marcus Carver turned home deftly. The former Chorley man tried not to celebrate but he wasn't given the choice!

The referee called time on an entertaining encounter with positives and negatives. I don't like the back five, never have done, the switch to a four yielded a late goal and I hope we take that on. A comeback feels like a win, but with calmer heads and composure there is no way we should have left ourselves in that position. That being said, you can't doubt the effort and committment on show and we go again Tuesday.
Thanks for the in-depth match report. The new Mike Hunt?
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Well done SFC a great comeback and that will surely help moral going forward. The lack of depth aka subs is a worry going forward and hopefully this can be addressed.
That though takes nothing away from yesterday’s result.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Gloucester wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:22 am Well done SFC a great comeback and that will surely help moral going forward. The lack of depth aka subs is a worry going forward and hopefully this can be addressed.
That though takes nothing away from yesterday’s result.
A Good result and this team is a lot fitter than last seasons hence the fight back. Hope we can finish it in the reply. ;)
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Everything said really...
Nobody really wanted a replay i suspect-certainly not Chorley though at 2.0 up?
On clear cut chances over the ninety minutes, we probably should have won, but how can you legislate for individual mistakes like yesterday's two howlers which give you a mountain to climb? Certainly,nobody goes on a football pitch intending to do that.
To come back from that though showed great testament to the belief within this small group of players-and hats off to them all.
Two or three players of the same quality added to this squad would see us comfortably top half I believe, and maybe even further- but that seems to be the problem.Simply,we're short on bodies.
Tuesday is another game.
Chorley will be determined to perform better than they did yesterday after we nearly handed them the tie,but it's all about whether or not SFC have enough personell fit and available to cope with the quick turn around.

Great to see and chat to so many familiar fans yesterday-excellent afternoon out at Chorley, a club so much improved from my first visit there back in 1983/1984. A Council owned ground with bags of room and potential(remind you of anywhere?) but with the continuous backing of that local Council.I do know that relations with our Sefton Council have improved in recent years,after though many unfortunately strained and wasted years.
Finally, a special mention to the vocal support yesterday and in particular to that (hopefully) growing band of lads supporting SFC-brilliant... What a difference they made.They reminded me of me (and I'm sure a few other old farts )back in the day.
Keep it up and stick with the club-we need you now more than ever.
Well done.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:01 am Chorley, a club so much improved from my first visit there back in 1983/1984. A Council owned ground with bags of room and potential(remind you of anywhere?) but with the continuous backing of that local Council
I can't say I've seen much of the way in improvements there other than fencing off the swathes of grass banking.
The away end terrace is covered in pigeon crap, as is the main stand which is missing an entire block of seats and the remaining seats don't appear to have been cleaned since the stand was built.
But, yes, they do have ample room for improvements but the tiny new stand above the grass bank down the side suggests there's little intent to do anything major.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Superb effort second half from the boys and the support was fantastic.

I know that we all already know this but managed to speak with someone after the game who is well in with the club and was told their literally isn’t a penny available so it’s an impossible task for us to bring anyone in. Unfortunately that’s the sad state of affairs and it is what it is so we just need to support them as much as we can nothing more we can do.

If only we manage to do a marine last season it’s our only hope for revenue.

Up the port let’s stuff Chorley on Tuesday
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:56 am
yellowfever wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:01 am Chorley, a club so much improved from my first visit there back in 1983/1984. A Council owned ground with bags of room and potential(remind you of anywhere?) but with the continuous backing of that local Council
I can't say I've seen much of the way in improvements there other than fencing off the swathes of grass banking.
The away end terrace is covered in pigeon crap, as is the main stand which is missing an entire block of seats and the remaining seats don't appear to have been cleaned since the stand was built.
But, yes, they do have ample room for improvements but the tiny new stand above the grass bank down the side suggests there's little intent to do anything major.
I think it's improved a helluva lot Ralphy..
The social club has been refurbished throughout including the toilets being updated with a seperate corporate area off it for functions including I'm pretty sure-cooking facillities now.The home stand roof behind the goal has been replaced along with the main stand roof now.The pitch at long last looks to have been sorted out with plans for new floodlights too. The small stand alongside the terrace I thought was their press are but may be wrong? Throw in their catering and "picnic tables" for outside drinking-I'd say Victory Park has improved an awful lot from the literally falling down ram shackle of the 1980's.

Still not as good as Haig Avenue though which continues to improve..
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:17 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:56 am
I think it's improved a helluva lot Ralphy..
The social club has been refurbished throughout including the toilets being updated with a seperate corporate area off it for functions including I'm pretty sure-cooking facillities now.The home stand roof behind the goal has been replaced along with the main stand roof now.The pitch at long last looks to have been sorted out with plans for new floodlights too. The small stand alongside the terrace I thought was their press are but may be wrong? Throw in their catering and "picnic tables" for outside drinking-I'd say Victory Park has improved an awful lot from the literally falling down ram shackle of the 1980's.

Still not as good as Haig Avenue though which continues to improve..
Yes they've certainly reclad existing roofs and reconcreted some terracing but I'd call that maintenance rather than improvements. The press box is in the main stand. Looked like anyone could sit in that little new stand.

Don't get me wrong Victory Park is one of my favorite away grounds with it's old school charm and it's huge old banking, I was just shocked at how uncared for and dirty parts of it were, makes me glad we have so many volunteers looking after Haig Avenue
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Quite agree Ralphy-and you're obviously right about the pigeon dirt etc.Some of it is tatty and beyond repairing but..definetely signs of a club finding it's way again.
It goes almost without saying that recent voluntary work carried out at SFC has been invaluable, and still is.I take my hat off to them all, including those who've contributed in the past by giving their time up as well-who perhaps get forgotten today.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

How good to hear so many positive postings for a change.
We are on the way up, just a little more patience and things will look much better.