2021 Hall of Fame Inductee: Colin Alty

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
The Commander
----------
----------

Re: 2021 Hall of Fame Inductee: Colin Alty

Post by The Commander »

Colin's headed winner at Ipswich...still the highlight of my long stint following the Port.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

The Commander wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:32 pm Colin's headed winner at Ipswich...still the highlight of my long stint following the Port.
Yes 👏👏 debatably the most important goal the club has ever scored . I remember the night of the replay, having watched the 0-0 draw. BBC 9 o’clock news said at the outset latest score was 1-0 to Southport. At the end of the news it gave an update 2-1 to Ipswich . Went to bed very disappointed, got up and saw in our daily express we had won 3-2 , cue ecstatic behaviour, that just doesn’t happen . In the life of a football fan ,for the most part you probably get 10 of those moments in a lifetime of watching that was high up in my list of 10.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

I was lucky enough to be there. My Uncle was a supporter, and borrowed my dad’s minivan to go. I was still a schoolboy, and was allowed to go on condition that I was up for school the following morning. We got back about 5 in the morning, but I was still up for school. Ironically, Alan Spence, who was one of my teachers, got the day off.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

still got the Daily Express back page match report with a very grainy photo of Colin heading in. A great player for us, much respect.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

tonyhey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:17 pm I was lucky enough to be there. My Uncle was a supporter, and borrowed my dad’s minivan to go. I was still a schoolboy, and was allowed to go on condition that I was up for school the following morning. We got back about 5 in the morning, but I was still up for school. Ironically, Alan Spence, who was one of my teachers, got the day off.
👍💛🖤 nice one Tony what an uncle and what a trek 🤣🤣
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

I remember the night we won at Ipswich,no score updates them days so had to sweat it out. Colin Alty will be a favourite with me. Thanks Colin.
Portoldie
----------
----------

Post by Portoldie »

Similar to TrickyDicky but went to bed a bit earlier having heard we were 1-0 up. I was just hoping we could hang on.

Fabulous win against Cardiff followed. There is some footage of that on YouTube but appears to be missing the 2 goals. BBC Wales must have edited them out!

We must have thought following the Port would always be like that.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Portoldie wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:35 pm Similar to TrickyDicky but went to bed a bit earlier having heard we were 1-0 up. I was just hoping we could hang on.

Fabulous win against Cardiff followed. There is some footage of that on YouTube but appears to be missing the 2 goals. BBC Wales must have edited them out!

Good post-the really good old days.

Just so hard to believe how far back our club has gone back since those days when we all could not wait for the next match day to arrive!!

At lease we have our memories.

Colin you deserve this recognition-always gave 100% in every game.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Stratford Excile wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:53 pm
Portoldie wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:35 pm Similar to TrickyDicky but went to bed a bit earlier having heard we were 1-0 up. I was just hoping we could hang on.

Good post-the really good old days.

Just so hard to believe how far our club has gone backwards since those days when we all could not wait for the next match day to arrive!!

At lease we have our memories.

Colin you deserve this recognition-always gave 100% in every game.