Main subforum for all things Southport FC
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Re: Southport 1-0 Chorley - FA Cup - Match Thread

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Goal of the Season......
Goal of the Decade!πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ‘
Beautiful technique, right up there with Danny Ings for Villa a few weeks back.
Really good solid and battling performance tonight.
Hopefully that will shut the doom and gloom merchants up for a while. This team are going to have a good season if we keep patient with these youngsters.
Well played boys. Proud Sandgrounder tonight and not at all worried about Spennymoor in the next round. πŸ’›πŸ–€πŸ†πŸ‘πŸ˜‰
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Great result! Let's hope this carries through to Saturday. Wish it wasn't Spennymoor away though, not our favourite ground.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Cracking game and Carver's goal was worth the admission fee. I thought the attendance was rather poor at 759, considering how close Chorley is to Southport. (Having said that, I didn't go to Chorley last Saturday). Roll on next Saturday for our first league win of the season
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Great win and some much needed prize money and gate receipts.
First clean sheet of the season and we kept them to 2 chances, both of which hit the woodwork.
Chris Doyle was immense, Vassallo and Bainbridge were outstanding in midfield, but everyone played well and put in a shift.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Well done!
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:30 pm Goal of the Season......
Goal of the Decade!πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ‘
Beautiful technique, right up there with Danny Ings for Villa a few weeks back.
Really good solid and battling performance tonight.
Hopefully that will shut the doom and gloom merchants up for a while. This team are going to have a good season if we keep patient with these youngsters.
Well played boys. Proud Sandgrounder tonight and not at all worried about Spennymoor in the next round. πŸ’›πŸ–€πŸ†πŸ‘πŸ˜‰
Was it as good as Dean Birkby's for Bath city against us ? That was a very happy day as we beat my adopted home town, but I have to say it was a good goal (and it gave my friends in Bath a crumb of comfort :lol:
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

The 1st FA Cup matches were played on November 11th 1871.
When Marcus Carver scores next Saturday he will join a most elite,exclusive and noteworthy group of players:
Qualification: Score in 3 consecutive matches against former team within an 8 day period to include both League and FA Cup fixture.
Marcus is to become the eighth player in 15 decades to join the group.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

I take my hat off to you for your memory !
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Take a deep breath everybody-and take in the win...!

A huge result for the football club and obviously the team-in so many ways.
Two games against a Chorley team that showed the levels that we have to reach to compete successfully in this division. A first clean sheet of the season and a management of the game, especially in the second half where at times we had to defend well.I think the team will have learned a lot from that performance and hopefully take great confidence from it going forward.

Another enjoyable game,and again an excellent vocal backing from the loyalists..

There is obviously a lot of hard work ahead, but lets hope this is maybe a start to kick the club on to better days a head.

Well done to everyone.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Great goal....can we have one of those every week please Marcus....not just any old tap in!!

What was good to see tonight was that fighting spirit. Getting the ball in the box a fair amount and also being a little more professional to get decisions from officials.

Good backing from the jack carr lads. Hopefully they can build a momentum in the younger population of the town to come along to matches too....word of mouth about positive things is a great way to do that.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Am I correct in saying that Marcus Carver has scored in every game this season where he has started?
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

A win,is a win,rode are luck at times, but we are overdue some of that,both teams looked knackered at full time,but no reason why we can't beat Chorley sat,not much in it,but these players want it more,great first win,up the port!!!
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

I don't think even the most optimistic Sandgrounder envisaged a place in the next round at 15:45 on Saturday, two goals down to a bang inform Chorley. 135 minutes later and Southport have struck three times with no reply to book passage to Spennymoor.

I thought we started poorly, the opening twenty minutes lacked fluency. Another change in shape with Carver and Archer starting as a pair for the first time took time to settle, and the vistors bossed the opening exchanges. With Woods, Watson and IBR benched, we lacked width and struggled for an outball. Port were awarded a penalty against the run of play, it was one for the "soft" bracket, but the it was immaterial as an unconvincing penalty was kept out.

What came next, is what draws people into this game. All those last minute defeats, should haves, could haves... by the wayside as Marcus Carver struck one of the best goals I have seen at Haig Avenue. A cross from the left was behind him, but he improvised and executed a perfect overhead kick which flew into the side of the net. The non-league version of Rooney's famous strike on derby day, only better, as Rooney's came off his shin and nobody will convince me otherwise.

This stunner was almost cancelled out near the break, the technically gifted younger Blakeman brother whipped a free kick against the underside of the bar. Only thirty seconds after the restart, the visitors came close again, Mason at full stretch to deny a goalbound header. An entertaining encounter became stretched, Port looked so sharp on the counter attack and the pace of Archer and Woods was causing all sorts of problems. Woods went through twice but was denied by Urwin once and miscued the second. After a late aerial assault which saw corners and half chances abound, the referee blew time on Port's first win and clean sheet of the season.

This is one of those wins where the confidence and belief gained arguably dwarfs the place in the next round. It has all been said, we have had the opportunities to have won matches already and spirits remained high, but seven winless matches will sit heavy in any players mind. Tonight shows that we can beat teams and there is nothing to fear in the league.

Some standout perfomances, I thought Oliver and J Doyle coped well defensively. Chorley's shape means the wingbacks often get beyond the wide midfielder and they can catch teams two against one causing all sorts of problems. These two were excellent defensively and with Bainbridge and Vassallo covering, Chorley ran out of space to move the ball. They put more hopeful balls into the box than they would have liked, and barring a switch off at the start of the second half, these were dealt with. Archer had his best game in a Southport shirt, he is so much better in a two. Despite his height, he can't hold the ball up very well and he is often beaten in the air, that's not his game. He looks like a big number nine, it's deceptive, he is so much better playing on the shoulder of the last man so he can get behind defences. He is exceptionally quick and with Carver engaging in the physical battles, he is free from trying to win long balls that he's no good at, instead he can terrify defenders with his pace.

If we must play with a back five, I much prefer this 5-3-2 shape, yes there is no width hence why all the wingers were on the bench, but that extra man in midfield means we don't roll over and cede the game like we have done countless times over the last two years with the dreaded 5-2-3.

On to Saturday, Chorley have plenty of experienced heads and they will be right back up for it, I am sure we will be too.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Agree with all that's been said especially the goal, Brilliant Marcus. Good feeling at ground and the young lads never give up chanting. Enjoyable evening.
Sandgrounder James

Post by Sandgrounder James »

Perhaps the best goal I've ever seen at Haig Avenue.

Defended well and looked threatening on the counter. Well done, Southport!
Sand74
----------
----------

Post by Sand74 »

Just sat here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the video of the goal.....
Formerly known as Lurch (S.F.C)
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

Sand74 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:15 am Just sat here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the video of the goal.....
According to Southport's twitter, they cannot upload it to 12 noon today.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

What a potent partnership Carver and Archer were.
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

Marcus Carver certainly matched Danny Inngs effort for Villa last weekend and will live long in the memory of many supporters. Overall our performance was not as good as those against Gloucester and Kiddy but you could not question the effort the lads put in and the Jack Carr lads so obviously inspires them. It`s good to hear their chanting as one who sits in the main stand and has to listen to the moaners and groaners who are never satisfied, my message to them is either "shut up or do what the Jack Carr lads do and get behind this young enthusiastic and very promising team."
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

old gold and black wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:09 am but you could not question the effort the lads put in and the Jack Carr lads so obviously inspires them. It`s good to hear their chanting as one who sits in the main stand and has to listen to the moaners and groaners who are never satisfied, my message to them is either "shut up or do what the Jack Carr lads do and get behind this young enthusiastic and very promising team."
This 200%.