Re: Southport P-P Chorley - The league one, not the FA Cup one - Match Thread

Post by cavjj »

Game OFF - Covid reported within Chorley camp
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Disappointing - need to find another match now...
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

There goes a chance for the ironic use of "can we play you every week" being used!
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Nobody’s fault but annoying - just arriving at Wigan!
Ex Bankser
----------
----------

Post by Ex Bankser »

Most people find arriving at Wigan annoying so don't worry
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Have reminded myself to check social media before a match from now on!
paul darwin

Post by paul darwin »

An absolute disgrace, apparently they have 5 players out through injury and then they throw the Covid card calling SFC around midday and leaving us with all of the costs of hosting the match. It would be entirely appropriate for fines and points deduction if it can be shown that they did not follow correct protocols.
Last edited by paul darwin on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Joke-hope Chorley FC pay the penalty for pulling out of today's game just 3 hours before kick off due to "alleged" Covid?
Lets just remind ourselves -SFC fined £2k for postponing last seasons game at AFC Fylde 48 hours before hand with players awaiting Covid test results?
It couldn't possibly be to do with the fact that Chorley have a few injuries could it?
How much will this have cost SFC today, as well as the inconvenience and cost to our own supporters who travel into games?
Chorley just didn't fancy it-and I hope they pay the price for it.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Out of interest, what happens if it is an FA Cup tie?
Portoldie
----------
----------

Post by Portoldie »

Does anyone actually know what the rules are about calling a game off due to COVID?

The Chorley manager talked about all their injuries in his post-match interview. How many have symptoms? Did the National League have to give permission to postpone the game.

Financially it's bad as well. A midweek game later in the season won't attract anything like the attendance there would have been today.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Disappointing to arrive after a pleasant two and a half hour drive and find the game off, very late call!
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

We'll just have to beat them well when they are fit or well enough to turn up....
Perhaps they were saving fuel too....
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Portoldie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 pm A midweek game later in the season won't attract anything like the attendance there would have been today.
Not necessarily. Could be a top of the table clash next March. :shock:
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:08 pm
Portoldie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 pm A midweek game later in the season won't attract anything like the attendance there would have been today.
Not necessarily. Could be a top of the table clash next March. :shock:
A little bit hopeful (but I will never knock that), a battle for playoff places for sure.
The postponent could work to our advantage having just played them in 2 games where our small squad gave Herculean performances, the rest could be a big help, an extra week and more time for our injuries to recover.
Bad news for Spendymore !.
Shame MC didn't have the chance to become the 8th player to score 3 against his old club in a week...... A golden boot will soften that blow.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

paul darwin wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:52 pm An absolute disgrace, apparently they have 5 players out through injury and then they throw the Covid card calling SFC around midday and leaving us with all of the costs of hosting the match. It would be entirely appropriate for fines and points deduction if it can be shown that they did not follow correct protocols.
This is a bit cynical.

We called a game off last season so let’s believe Chorley have done it in the same faith. I’m sure they have. Good club.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

A Joke they have pulled a fast one on us.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

badger wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:57 am A Joke they have pulled a fast one on us.
Let's hope not. You'd hope the league would seek evidence on this occasion and check whether its genuine or not.
If they are found to be pulling a fast one they should be fined heavily and fined lots of points as it would be real low life territory to be using covid as a cover for other things....really insulting to those who've suffered hardships or lost loved ones.
The question is do we have faith in the league to investigate and if needed apply punishment the right way. I don't after the way they treated SFC at the height of the pandemic...
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:12 pm
badger wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:57 am A Joke they have pulled a fast one on us.
Let's hope not. You'd hope the league would seek evidence on this occasion and check whether its genuine or not.
If they are found to be pulling a fast one they should be fined heavily and fined lots of points as it would be real low life territory to be using covid as a cover for other things....really insulting to those who've suffered hardships or lost loved ones.
The question is do we have faith in the league to investigate and if needed apply punishment the right way. I don't after the way they treated SFC at the height of the pandemic...
Totally agree with all the above.

What makes me suspicious, is the reported late postponement of the game-only a few hours,maybe 3 or 4. If Covid was the alleged reason for postponing the game,then surely Chorley FC would know at least the night before and warn SFC of the possible outcome of any test?
I find the explanation hard to believe, and I suspect SFC think the same.
All as a fan I am asking for is equal and fair treatment for my club from the National league board and I havn't seen that at all recently.
I've had it on good authority from a source close to the club that yesterday was the first time this season that Steve Dewsnip had a FULL corporate lounge for match day.Imagine then the cost to Southport FC yesterday which won't now be retrieved? Any profit that SFC made from our cup result the other night will have been swallowed up.
For that reason, I hope we pursue answers to some very important questions and I don't think a lot of our supporters at times take on board the cost of running a football club-particularly a struggling one at National North level.

PS This doesn't even take into account the people who make this game of ours-supporters. One guy popped his head into the 1881 suite around 2pm yesterday asking where he could see a"live" game.Match ticket at the ready,he had travelled over from Sheffield hoping to "take in" another ground as a ground hopper. Our own fans travelling many miles in some cases were inconvenienced, as well as Chorley fans arriving just before kick off too-not good enough and we must have answers.
port4ever
----------
----------

Post by port4ever »

Postponed games for anything other than a unfit pitch is questionable imo. There's no reason not to be vaccinated against Covid now. Regarding the match being called off, SSE got as far as Wigan, a guy travel from Sheffield. Personally I travelled from Spain to watch this game, first one since March last year. These decisions have an impact on supporters.