Boston 3 - 5 Southport match

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
IBarch
----------
----------

Re: Boston 3 - 5 Southport match

Post by IBarch »

One careless moment in the middle let Boston through for their 1st. Port dropped a little deeper after that but never looked in trouble. Indeed a sixth nearly arrived after an energetic burst from Carberry and a good cross that the defence only just cleared. No issues for the first 88 mins.
Port did switch off with 2 mins plus stoppage time to go, which allowed the further two Boston strikes. A few players looked out on their feet but given the shift they had put in, the game played in hot 24C conditions and it being the 1st match, I think they don't deserve too harsh a word on the bus home.

What a great start to the season. Shame more folk couldn't have joined us for the party.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Speechless, unbelievable result, get in,up the port
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

Well that was fun!

Boston started sharper than we did but offered nothing threatening in the opening exchanges. Archer hit a left-footed shot against the inside of the post and in (looked like Woods from our angle though!). Archer then headed home at the near post from a Munro corner, then added another when Boston's defence completely parted and he slotted into the bottom corner. 3-0 at half time, and we expected Boston to come out fighting.

Second half was a tighter affair, but Vassallo found the bottom left corner from 25 yards after a cushioned flick / lay-off by the referee! Jack Doyle made it five with a far post tap-in after a low cross by (I think) Tyler Walton. Boston then went full Paul Cox football and everything got launched in the box. Their first was a long throw we failed to defend, for their second it was our defences time to completely part and give their striker time to finish, and their third was another set piece that was poked home after a scramble.

A tough match in terms of injuries. Chris Doyle went off injured early on, which resulted in a change in formation and Quansah moving to centre back. Tyler Walton went off in the second half, possibly (hopefully) with cramp. Jack Doyle played the second half with his head bandaged after a first half clash of heads that lead to one of their players having to go off. Jordan Archer went down pointing to his groin a couple of times before he was taken off. Hopefully some of these are only minor injuries, we can't afford to carry many more.

For those fans who don't like our style of play, be grateful you're not a Boston fan! They spent most of the game struggling to kick the ball straight, but had no problems booting our players. Their lad with the long throw looked better with his hands than with his feet. Also, at 5-1 down they passed the ball back to their goalkeeper from the halfway line when under little pressure, twice, in the same minute. Not even we would do that!

Anyway, an enjoyable opening day in the sun was had by the 20-odd travelling fans. It can only go downhill from here!
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Great start well done to all the lads playing and the fans who managed to attend. 3 points in the bag already , it took us 5 games to get three points last season and a couple more[ despite not playing too badly] to get more its hopefully gonna be a good season with plenty of goal celebrations and a good finishing league position heres hoping and also hoping the injuries we got will not be too bad with the next game so close sorry if this post is a bit mixed up but i am genuinely stunned at the result-i predicted a win but more wishful thinking than belief cheers mick :D
Last edited by optimickstic on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

This is why I go to the games. What a result. What a club 🙌
IBarch
----------
----------

Post by IBarch »

It was a familiar tale today. The team in yellow & black disappointing the home fans. Made to look like amateurs, the defence cut open time and again. Unable to assert themselves and hold any kind of pocession. Resorted to long hoofs down the pitch and a goal from a long throw.

I think I took a wrong turn passed Newark and entered some kind of parallel universe.
Sgreen1234
Call Me Steve
Call Me Steve

Post by Sgreen1234 »

One of the games I normally get to and Im away on holiday. I guarantee if Id have gone it would have been 0-0.

We are going to P*ss this tinpot league
Last edited by Sgreen1234 on Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

IBarch wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:59 pm One careless moment in the middle let Boston through for their 1st. Port dropped a little deeper after that but never looked in trouble. Indeed a sixth nearly arrived after an energetic burst from Carberry and a good cross that the defence only just cleared. No issues for the first 88 mins.
Port did switch off with 2 mins plus stoppage time to go, which allowed the further two Boston strikes. A few players looked out on their feet but given the shift they had put in, the game played in hot 24C conditions and it being the 1st match, I think they don't deserve too harsh a word on the bus home.

What a great start to the season. Shame more folk couldn't have joined us for the party.
Well done for going and thanks for shedding light , 2 late goals in injury time ffs who cares when you lash in 5 away goals and win against a full time team who’ve trained twice a day for 4 weeks in very warm conditions - debatably one our best away win at this level 👍 against all the odds . My prediction not to predict was spot on UTP👌.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

There's a reason why hundreds of thousands of football supporters took to the roads on Saturday, it's because despite all logic, predictions and beliefs... this sport throws up examples that upset rational thinking and deliver the unthinkable. Boston, known for their strong defensive approach and resolute home record. Southport, lacking goals after a season long injury to their forward signing and with few options. Eight goals and at one point, a five nil away advantage. If football was played on paper you would blame few for lacking optimism, but this game we all love delivered a resounding away win.

The first fifteen minutes saw the hosts on top. While they didn't carve out clear oportunities, the Pilgrims were in the ascendancy and the visitors struggled to progress out their own half. There were inklings about what was to come though, on a couple of occasions Southport recovered the ball in their own half and only overhit passes prevented Woods and Archer breaking. The away side deserve credit for leaving two on the halfway line, even when under pressure that pacey combo remained pushed right up and if the rest of the sky blue and white clad team could find them, they would be a threat.

This bore fruit when a long ball was brought down by Woods on the left of the box, who beat his man on the outside and delivered a fierce low drive that cannoned the inside of the post and nestled in. A low cross for Archer or a deadly strike? I think Connor went for goal as the speed and precision of the ball looked more like a shot than a cross.

After opening the scoring the visitors settled and the game was no longer being played in their own half. A near post corner by Munro was met by Archer who stooped and powered an unstoppable header into the net. The cross was sharp and low, but precise enough to avoid the first man and a ducking Archer met it with full power.

Boston's centre halves had been all over the place and that continued for the third. They were too advanced, Mbeka in particular was pressing into holding midfield and it meant that any long balls dropped in behind were causing mayhem. It may have been the hosts' intention to play on the front foot, but the high line meant Archer and Woods had space to exploit. A ball over the top was allowed to bounce, Archer positioned himself cleverly to receive the ball and spin. Spin he did and after a couple of touches he was through, the finish was expert and it was three.

The remainder of the half was stop start. A nasty head injury involving Jack Doyle and other stoppages meant the game hobbled to the interval.

You could excuse the travelling thirty for expecting an oslaught, but the lead was extended further when Vassallo (subbed on for a limping Chris Doyle) struck from outside the area. The shot was precise but lacking power and the home 'keeper did not cover himself in glory. Still, a reminder to Vassallo that he enjoys more technical ability than many and his controlled effort made it four.

The dream became more euphorious bordering on surreal when a low cross from the right traveled through the box to the arriving Jack Doyle who tapped home. Under normal circumstances, Boston's widemen would have tracked back and averted danger, but with them pushed up in a 'nothing to lose' mindset, nobody followed Doyle's run. Credit to Jack who was playing in a more conservative back four at the time to have the awareness that his attacking run wouldn't be tracked.

The game was won, however Boston recovered some pride with three late goals. Each of them were defendable, two long throws bobbled across the the area before being driven home and Port failed to clear a ball into their box for the third. A Crawford double and the defensively hapless Mbeka made the scoreline more respectable.

A crazy game to analyse because it was warped by the handsome lead. For example, if the game was tighter then Doyle would never have been allowed free reign to tap in the fifth. Similarly, I would like to think Port would not have been so lapse at the death had the game been alive.

Credit to the away side for their brave approach which bore fruit. Most would have taken a point all day, but playing a 5-3-2 Southport kept two up at all times and always carried a threat. It was reminiscent of the Carver/Archer duo causing teams problems, Archer was electric and Woods played a starring role. Boston helped, their defensive line meant the visitors could drop balls behind. We know Woods and Archer aren't going to reliably win aerial duals but they didn't have to, as when we did go long it was dropped in behind and they couldn't cope.

Mason couldn't be faulted and out of the central defensive trio that became a duo, Quansah stood out. Won his headers and had a handy knack of keeping the ball on the pitch. Sounds basic, but many defenders at this level hit Row Z too often and give away needless set pieces, Keenan always managed to look inside. Jack Doyle was excellent. The goals we conceded were poor, I will need to see the goals again to work out who did what, but Liam's frustration will not be playing in the right areas. There will be times we will be defending a one goal lead not a five, and if you continually give away cheap throw ins it will cost you. Some naivety on show and more game management needed, but it's a young group.

Munro and Vassallo looked after the ball and Bainbridge was vital in adding some physicality. Stand out midfielder was Tyler Walton though, we know he has athleticism but today he added some composure. Last season he was guilty of looking really good until a disappointing final ball, but today he was a threat and used the ball intelligently.

Archer was sublime, I've said it until I am blue in the face but he is so good in a two whereas he struggles as a lone targetman. The presence of Woods meant he could play on the last man, not forced into holding the ball up, his goals were very well taken. Woods has not always shone as a striker but today he had space and time and he used it to hurt Boston. Playing in a 5-3-2 he either converts to a striker or is sat on the bench, hopefully today is the first step in him becoming a more rounded front man.

An impressive start that adds three points but more importantly will banish some cynicism ahead of two home matches.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Deprived of this by a bout of arse turmoil making the drive a potential Russian Roulette situation, but what a magnificent result against a side that you would still expect to be looking at the playoffs under a proper hardened Conf North manager. Well done Liam and the players - as we've got five goals in our last two away games it'd be nice to shove at least that many up Alfreton.

As for everyone that did get there... you're all magnificent and you deserve this.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

😂💩. Hope yr underpants survived the afternoon😂
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:05 am …as we've got five goals in our last two away games it'd be nice to shove at least that many up Alfreton.
Alfreton are going FULL ALFRETON this year with 6ft4 Matt Rhead and 6ft7 Tom Denton upfront (a combined age of 71).
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Defending the deep end against Shamu and Gregor Clegane will be fun. Hopefully we'll have a ref with a spine this time.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Rabbit wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:52 am 😂💩. Hope yr underpants survived the afternoon😂
Could have done with less excitement to be honest.
couille du chien
----------
----------

Post by couille du chien »

Redrobe wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:12 pm Tricky Dicky as Alex Harvey would say “Next”
Sensational,welcome to the boston tea party
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Maybe if we aproached wealthy arabs for financial help for the club we could be the Sultans Choice :D
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

Happy Monday! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwjD5YR1NZM (although someone needs to remember who they played!)
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Defensive masterclass all round. Great assist by the ref for the fourth!
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

PortInTheSouth wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:10 am Happy Monday! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwjD5YR1NZM (although someone needs to remember who they played!)
Not entirely sure how anyone thought Archer got the first goal.

Great lay off by the ref for the 4th.

Also, completely passed me by that Boston had moved ground a couple of years ago, confused me for a bit.
sandgrounder6
----------
----------

Post by sandgrounder6 »

The first goal fooled everyone Sam, From the distance we were away from that end, right at the opposite end it looked like he had got a touch and then it was announced as Archer so we went with it. Even Liam said in his post match it was Archer. We did get a message at half time saying it was Connor but then Liam was saying Jordan got a hat trick. Luckily Jordan finally dispelled any thought that it was his goal!!