Marcus Carver

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
ourdailybread
----------
----------
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:41 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by ourdailybread »

Welcome back Marcus Carver, we really have missed you.
yellosoul
----------
----------
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by yellosoul »

Excellent to get Marcus in and hopefully help him (and us) get back on track

Now, has anyone got Doug Tharme’s number..
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

yellosoul wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:07 am Excellent to get Marcus in and hopefully help him (and us) get back on track

Now, has anyone got Doug Tharme’s number..
Can't see Tharme coming back...he's just kept a cleany last week for Accrington!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Underwhelmed to be honest. Yeh he did really well but he's clearly not fully fit and has had a really difficult year. I hope I'm wrong.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
User avatar
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:58 am

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by cavjj »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am Can't see Tharme coming back...he's just kept a cleany last week for Accrington!
Brb while I add use of "cleany" to the forum's bannable offences. ;)
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

cavjj wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:23 am
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am Can't see Tharme coming back...he's just kept a cleany last week for Accrington!
Brb while I add use of "cleany" to the forum's bannable offences. ;)
😂😂
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

cavjj wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:23 am
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am Can't see Tharme coming back...he's just kept a cleany last week for Accrington!
Brb while I add use of "cleany" to the forum's bannable offences. ;)
The forum's bannies. I would say "banny offies" but that's a dessert.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Falkland yellow
----------
----------
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:22 am

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Falkland yellow »

Welcome back to the Club. Some of the best in the world (Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba) have returned to their former clubs with success. I hope the same is true - for Marcus and for SFC. He was well-liked in the squad, noticing that he came back to be with the squad after his sale, so expect he will fit right back in. I hope the same is true for any travelling to and from his home/family whilst on loan.

In similar fashion to today's reversal of the National Insurance rate rise, taking us back to where we should have been anyway had that questionable decision not been made initially - Although encouraged by the positive return of Marcus, we are in fact only back to where we should have been squad wise last year - give or take a few ££s.

I went on record once we sold Carver that I felt some decisions to let our better players move on should not have been taken in the interests of the club's success. Marcus' sale last season signalled the turning point for our season - and I hope we are now wiser from that experience.

I trust Marcus does not feel too much pressure and that he retains his fitness. I expect, once fully fit we should be seeing a better player than we sold, based on his experience in 2 larger clubs. I hope their loss is our gain.

As others have already contributed - I hope this is not the end of the squad's strengthening.

How long do we have him on loan?
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Ste_B »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:45 am Underwhelmed to be honest. Yeh he did really well but he's clearly not fully fit and has had a really difficult year. I hope I'm wrong.
Were you expecting someone to lend us an in-from, proven Conf North goalscorer?

I think it’s a good move for everyone involved, and much preferred over the other names I’d heard touted about. You’d presume/hope he isn’t too far from fitness for us to finalise the move.
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ste_B wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:16 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:45 am Underwhelmed to be honest. Yeh he did really well but he's clearly not fully fit and has had a really difficult year. I hope I'm wrong.
Were you expecting someone to lend us an in-from, proven Conf North goalscorer?

I think it’s a good move for everyone involved, and much preferred over the other names I’d heard touted about. You’d presume/hope he isn’t too far from fitness for us to finalise the move.
I see your point, I do. I guess I've been beaten in to the ground with us signing players who aren't fit enough to perform. As I said, I hope I'm wrong...
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
haigavel
----------
----------
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:34 am

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by haigavel »

cavjj wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:23 am
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am Can't see Tharme coming back...he's just kept a cleany last week for Accrington!
Brb while I add use of "cleany" to the forum's bannable offences. ;)
Though it is to be preferred to "sheety"
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
Rabbit
----------
----------
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Rabbit »

Falkland yellow wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:08 pm Welcome back to the Club. Some of the best in the world (Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba) have returned to their former clubs with success. I hope the same is true - for Marcus and for SFC. He was well-liked in the squad, noticing that he came back to be with the squad after his sale, so expect he will fit right back in. I hope the same is true for any travelling to and from his home/family whilst on loan.

In similar fashion to today's reversal of the National Insurance rate rise, taking us back to where we should have been anyway had that questionable decision not been made initially - Although encouraged by the positive return of Marcus, we are in fact only back to where we should have been squad wise last year - give or take a few ££s.

I went on record once we sold Carver that I felt some decisions to let our better players move on should not have been taken in the interests of the club's success. Marcus' sale last season signalled the turning point for our season - and I hope we are now wiser from that experience.

I trust Marcus does not feel too much pressure and that he retains his fitness. I expect, once fully fit we should be seeing a better player than we sold, based on his experience in 2 larger clubs. I hope their loss is our gain.

As others have already contributed - I hope this is not the end of the squad's strengthening.

How long do we have him on loan?
Two months i think i read?
Which , if he takes a bit of time to get going and then starts scoring , will just enough for Scunthorpe to take himback😂😱
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Ste_B »

Rabbit wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:06 pm
Falkland yellow wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:08 pm Welcome back to the Club. Some of the best in the world (Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba) have returned to their former clubs with success. I hope the same is true - for Marcus and for SFC. He was well-liked in the squad, noticing that he came back to be with the squad after his sale, so expect he will fit right back in. I hope the same is true for any travelling to and from his home/family whilst on loan.

In similar fashion to today's reversal of the National Insurance rate rise, taking us back to where we should have been anyway had that questionable decision not been made initially - Although encouraged by the positive return of Marcus, we are in fact only back to where we should have been squad wise last year - give or take a few ££s.

I went on record once we sold Carver that I felt some decisions to let our better players move on should not have been taken in the interests of the club's success. Marcus' sale last season signalled the turning point for our season - and I hope we are now wiser from that experience.

I trust Marcus does not feel too much pressure and that he retains his fitness. I expect, once fully fit we should be seeing a better player than we sold, based on his experience in 2 larger clubs. I hope their loss is our gain.

As others have already contributed - I hope this is not the end of the squad's strengthening.

How long do we have him on loan?
Two months i think i read?
Which , if he takes a bit of time to get going and then starts scoring , will just enough for Scunthorpe to take himback😂😱
Yes but proven Conference forward Ian Cooke may be back by then.
Rabbit
----------
----------
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Rabbit »

Yes. Cookey is reaching peak fitness i believe . In the best shape of his life.
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Rabbit wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:06 pm
Falkland yellow wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:08 pm Welcome back to the Club. Some of the best in the world (Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba) have returned to their former clubs with success. I hope the same is true - for Marcus and for SFC. He was well-liked in the squad, noticing that he came back to be with the squad after his sale, so expect he will fit right back in. I hope the same is true for any travelling to and from his home/family whilst on loan.

In similar fashion to today's reversal of the National Insurance rate rise, taking us back to where we should have been anyway had that questionable decision not been made initially - Although encouraged by the positive return of Marcus, we are in fact only back to where we should have been squad wise last year - give or take a few ££s.

I went on record once we sold Carver that I felt some decisions to let our better players move on should not have been taken in the interests of the club's success. Marcus' sale last season signalled the turning point for our season - and I hope we are now wiser from that experience.

I trust Marcus does not feel too much pressure and that he retains his fitness. I expect, once fully fit we should be seeing a better player than we sold, based on his experience in 2 larger clubs. I hope their loss is our gain.

As others have already contributed - I hope this is not the end of the squad's strengthening.

How long do we have him on loan?
Two months i think i read?
Which , if he takes a bit of time to get going and then starts scoring , will just enough for Scunthorpe to take himback😂😱
...and that's why I'm sceptical.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Port on the Kent »

Without doubt a good addition as we are a better team with him.

Feel like it's a bit of a sad situation when you chart how Marcus' career and Southport's fortunes have gone since he left. When he departed we were flying high in the play-offs and he was looking forward to EFL football.

Fast forward nine months and he hasn't scored a goal since and we are 19th. You can't say it's worked out for anyone.
NonLeagueFan2022
----------
----------
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:12 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by NonLeagueFan2022 »

Marcus had a chat with Off The Park https://off-the-park.co.uk/marcus-carve ... rpe-united
optimickstic
----------
----------
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:07 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by optimickstic »

Best wishes to Marcus during his stay with us class act for us in his time here ,dont expect instant results give him a game to settle in and he will find his form again, hope i am wrong and he scores in his first game back in either event glad to have him back in Yellow and hope the loan is extended.
User avatar
TrickyDicky
----------
----------
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by TrickyDicky »

Scunthorpe are unfortunately edging towards Adminstration , I would think we are a safer bet for paying his wages at this moment . Like anything I think if he starts to play well and he needs to be fit to do this it could be longer than 2 months.
The problem with stepping up 2 levels is the full time fitness regime which is demanded, many players are at this level not necessarily due to a lack of technical ability but they simply can’t fulfil the day In day out rigours of full time physical training without pulls and strains etc., especially when you get into your mid to late twenties.
I’m delighted we’ve got him back, he defends, motivates and fights for the shirt and chips in too with goals🤞😀
Post Reply