Post by Blackburn Gold »

On YouTube now.
Losing 1-0 already, Anson og.
The Commander
----------
----------

Re: Southport V Huddersfield - Match Thread

Post by The Commander »

No mention of who's playing..We don't all have Twitter.
southportvulcan

Re: Southport 0- 1 Huddersfield

Post by southportvulcan »

Starting XI: Mason, Doyle, Benjamin, Anson, Tharme, Carver, Trialist, Doyle, Vassallo, Watson, Bainbridge

Subs: Oliver, Woods, Munro, Archer, McMillan, Hmami, Trialist, Trialist,
SteH90
----------
----------

Re: Southport 0- 1 Huddersfield

Post by SteH90 »

Is it just me or are we playing a back 6? And 2 defensive midfielders?
Ste_B
----------
----------

Re: Southport 0- 2 Huddersfield

Post by Ste_B »

Edit: Ignore me.
Last edited by Ste_B on Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomherold
----------
----------

Post by tomherold »

Would be nice to try and string a couple of passes together second half rather than smash it long to Carver at every opportunity
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

tomherold wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:52 pm Would be nice to try and string a couple of passes together second half rather than smash it long to Carver at every opportunity
I like how Carver’s hair has made himself easier to spot for the long ball.
Blackburn Gold
----------
----------

Post by Blackburn Gold »

To me, LW is using it as a defensive test of where we are in that sphere and apart from Anson's og I don't think we ware playing too badly.
The 2nd goal had a touch of class about it.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

only saw 2nd half, still don't know where the goals are going to come from, but Port defended well and looked pretty coherent in midfield when able to get on the ball against some quality players. Connor Woods definitely increases our options in the final third.

Gratifying to hear HTFC's commentator describe Haig Ave as a beautiful, beautiful little ground.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

tomherold wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:52 pm Would be nice to try and string a couple of passes together second half rather than smash it long to Carver at every opportunity
:(
Falkland yellow
----------
----------

Post by Falkland yellow »

Who was No10 who came on midway through 2nd half. Squad member or unknown trialist?
Rls
----------
----------

Post by Rls »

Just spoken to a few of their fans on the bus back into town, they were saying that was pretty much their first team and were impressed with us.

Fwiw I think we played quite well. Carver did well winning a fair few long balls while being marked by 2/3 defenders! And second half we had a few half chances which were well worked. Good workout for preseason given the standard of the opposition and now onto the next one - would be nice to get a goal at home soon though 🤞
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

I think the first two home fixtures were against a much higher standard of opposition so, in a way, goals weren’t likely. As the opponents get easier over the next few matches we should see some goals (fingers crossed!). Encouraged by the second half display, we stepped up, played some passing football and I liked the triallist number 10 who came on.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Decent watch, we were nowhere near the level but that's to be expected, Huddersfield looked much stronger than Blackpool I must say.

We had a number of set piece opportunities but Vassallo's delivery was wretched all afternoon. Tharme has a very long throw which will no doubt be heavily used this season. Think my neck is sunburnt.

Have enjoyed these two friendlies, so much more enjoyable playing first team sides up the pyramid rather than Premier League U23 sides. Bit of atmosphere and some bite, you also see some good football even if it's not from the team in old gold.
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

I also enjoyed the game. Huddersfield are a strong Championship side, better than Blackpool were last week, and we could not be expected to win. We put up a good performance considering that, especially in the second half. We could do with a real striker, but I suppose every team says that! It was good to see George Newell sitting pitchside with the team and good to see him walking.Could we have an update on his fitness from the Club please? Also, no announcements from the Club today about the team, the substitutes or even the crowd. It seemed like a good gate to me, at least equal to the Blackpool gate, so a few more much needed pounds in the kitty. Thanks to the large contingent from Huddersfield for their contribution.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

The number 10 "trialist" was George Newell, according to the list which Rob Urwin sent to me. (Unless it was a trialist who had borrowed the shirt) The trialists were number 12 in the first half and half of the second half and numbers 19 and 20 in part of the second half.

INFO SENT FROM ROB:-

Those players who have numbers are listed on our website https://southportfc.net/2021-22-squad-details/

1 Cam Mason

2 Charlie Oliver

3 Jack Doyle

4 Russell Benjamin

5 Adam Anson

6 Doug Tharme

7 Connor Woods

8 Charlie Munro

9 Jordan Archer

10 George Newell

11 Marcus Carver

13 Tony McMillan

14 Chris Doyle

15 Josh Hmami

16 Dylan Vassallo

17 Niall Watson

18 Jack Bainbridge
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

I believe they are the squad numbers for the squad this season, not today's team.
Fred M
----------
----------

Post by Fred M »

A great workout in difficult conditions against a very strong and powerful team who were full of running and we were chasing shadows for long periods in the first half, saying that we have I believe a great keeper in Cameron Mason who made some great saves and his distribution of the ball is excellent.The defence made some very good blocks in the first half despite being under the cosh and the second goal was class.The second half saw a big improvement with the changes made,we passed the ball better and put in some decent tackles which put them under pressure.The number 10 looked decent but the crossing of the ball from Vassallo was poor after we got into some good positions, we need a big stricker who can hold the ball up and bring the likes of Carver and Woods into the game it worries me who is going to score the goals.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

A Town fan on their forum is pleased that they made us look non-League at times.
If it was only "at times" rather than the full 90 minutes I'd take that as a compliment seeing as we ARE non-League.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.