Brackley Town 1-0 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: Brackley Town 1-0 Southport - Match Thread

Post by portexileinbath »

issy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:22 pm We were beaten before we even got on the coach. There is so much negativity being spoken from Ian Kyle and Liam Watson. We can' beat full time teams, clubs with budgets 4 or 5 times ours, teams in the top six, Chorley (bad draw in the Cup), etc. etc. It surely must get into the heads of the players. They can't suddenly shake that mentality off, like changing your clothes.
Do you think Crystal Palace came out today thinking they can't beat the team top of the league? Just look what happened.
Only positive comments from now on, or we will talk ourselves into the bottom six.
Well said.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

I was there and agree with SGreen we deserved a point they are a decent side and will be in the top eight. We need a couple of players yes but we have had a hard start don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
Ask the people who went! I won’t add anything as in my opinion SG got it right.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Played five of the top six and Gloucester, whose best 45 mins of the season were first half at Haig Ave according to their fans.
Only lost three, by a single goal each time. More or less matched our opponents so far.
Far too early to start flapping, but we are very thin on the ground, which is a concern. We will have missed Anson today.
Sgreen1234
Call Me Steve
Call Me Steve

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Gloucester wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:00 pm
Hey thats a first! Even about the chips? :)
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Ha ha ha you were spot on!
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

This is rapidly shaping up to our worst season in the last 9 of absolute drivel with imo a fight to avoid yet a further demotion....... it is clear when you review these seasons we are getting lower & lower each time and these so called weaker teams all seem to be picking up points ... You don’t hear John Coleman , Mark Cooper & the Derek Adams the Morecambe Manager moaning about so called bigger clubs budgets finances etc etc making excuses after excuses they just get on motivating and driving a performance out of their teams ...the bottom line is 3 points out of 18 ..it’s unacceptable
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:09 pm This is rapidly shaping up to our worst season in the last 9 of absolute drivel with imo a fight to avoid yet a further demotion....... it is clear when you review these seasons we are getting lower & lower each time and these so called weaker teams all seem to be picking up points ... You don’t hear John Coleman , Mark Cooper & the Derek Adams the Morecambe Manager moaning about so called bigger clubs budgets finances etc etc making excuses after excuses they just get on motivating and driving a performance out of their teams ...the bottom line is 3 points out of 18 ..it’s unacceptable
Totally correct.

I do not believe that Ian Kyle nor Liam Watson have any ambitions to move the club forward,the only goal seems to be to survive and stay in business.

I was never Charlie Clapham’s biggest fan but just look how far back our club has gone since his departure.

That just sums up how bad the current situation is.
Last edited by Stratford Excile on Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilbert69
----------
----------

Post by Gilbert69 »

We are in trouble if this carrys on . We need wins and fast starting next week in the fa cup . Not a big fan of short term loans but I think we need a couple more bodies to help with injuries etc as we are down to bare bone . See you all at chorley should be at least 250 from southport for this game
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Going to Brackley and losing 0-1 to a set piece is a rite of passage for most teams, although the predictability of the afternoon did little to dampen the disappointment after Southport's most lacklustre performance of the season.

In truth, the game was dirge. Some matches have 0-0 written on them in such large graffiti that they can be seen from the International Space Station, this should have been one of them. Neither team sparkled and this dull affair barely deserved more than a passing mention, but inexperience was again the visitor's downfall as a cheap free kick cost them a share of the spoils.

After a slow start, Brackley attacked down the left hand side and Bainbridge was guilty of one of those fouls that leaves managers and supporters pulling their hair out. The winger going nowhere, facing away from goal, out of options bar a pass back to his full back. Shoved in the back. Infuriating. When inexperience is touted, it's easy to discuss it in the abstract, but it's these moments that it has real game consequences. Brackley under the guidance of the wiley Kevin Wilkin and with experienced players who have seen it all at this level, had the discipline to not dive in. Game management is a tedious term that has crept into modern football discourse but we do not possess it.

The second half dawdled, Southport's best chance came following a scramble in the area, similar in nature to the final minute debacle at Fylde. Bodies and limbs everywhere, somehow the ball stayed out. Brackley did have a couple of opportunities to add a second. Jack Doyle struggled with his man, who got in behind three times. This resulted in two smart saves from Mason and a cross that was headed against the crossbar, although the flag may have rendered that attempt futile. Woods and Carver were introduced but had little impact, the former was not moving freely and should not have been in the squad looking at how hampered by injury he clearly was.

The problems are for all too see, the squad lacks experience and is too thin. What is this nonsense about naming injured players on the bench? Multiple today, and in the previous two matches we now know Woods was never an option. I can only assume it is to hide the embarrassment of only having a dozen outfield players to choose from.

I feel there is also little point berating further the naivety and youthfulness of the team. We do not have the money or the intent to change this, so to use a Watson-ism... "it is what it is." We can hope that players will learn quickly and make incremental improvements game on game. Bainbridge had a rush of blood today, if he learns and doesn't do the same thing again, he has improved as a player, that's the only way to look at it.

Final word must go to the travelling contingent, out in numbers again. The coach helps, but it was well bolstered by other travellers and a smattering of exiles. Much has been said about the decline of this football club; challenging for the play-offs and promotion to League 2 in 2011... looking anxiously at the Northern Premier League in 2021... but that support gives an indication that if the club can pick itself up off its arse, there is potential to grow. Sleeping giant is probably over egging the pudding; snoring hippo is probably closer to the truth... but when you see so much old gold turning up to a match in little more than village surroundings far from home, it gives you hope. That needs to be realised, Ian and Liam will do what they can but this threadbare team needs some help, that applies to the board and the dressing room in equal measure.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sgreen1234 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:12 pm
The chips were poor; very fatty.

There must have been more than 100 port fans. Well done everyone.
Sgreen1234
Call Me Steve
Call Me Steve

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:07 pm
Sgreen1234 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:12 pm
The chips were poor; very fatty.
To be fair I had gravy on mine so didn’t notice - but £3 a tray was steep.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

I didn’t get any, I had my dinner before I came ha
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

yellowfever wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:07 pm We need 2, maybe 3 players in IMHO.
You can't go into games with unfit/half fit players making up the bench week in week out and expect to get results.Options to change a game are part and parcel of modern football now-even at this level.
We need a favour or two and we shouldn't be too proud of asking anyone.
Ian and Liam seem to be a pair of deluded people running Southport football club on a shoestring. They both look like losers and the players we have can see the writing on the wall. We are in the bottom three and unless there are big changes ie new blood a Manager and some new Players that is where we will stay. It Is what It Is' will not get us out of this mess that Is for sure.
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

Nice one from Port on the Kent! Bottom line is that we don't even have a proper squad of players. Putting injured players on the bench is nonsense. We must bring in a couple of experienced loan players immediately if we have no cash to bring in permanent signings. Liam is supposed to know the local non-League like the back of his hand, so bring a couple of players in. Where are our supposed friends, Liam, John Cole and the like?.Ian Kyle, nice fella that he seems to be, seems to be totally naive and relying completely on Liam and whatever he says. I really hate to criticise, believe it or not, because I know how hard it must be, but we just can't go on like this relying on a miniscule squad and waiting for the so called easier games to come along. There aren't any easier games! Our Commercial Manager should be knocking on every door in the town pleading for sponsorship to keep our Club alive. Liam and Ian should be pulling in any favour they can on the playing side. This is no time for pride from any of them. We have a great ground, pitch and supporters but the first two are no use to us in a lower League with gates of 300 again. Sorry to again sound so pessimistic, but we have put up with this for years. It is only getting worse and no-one can tell me otherwise.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Brianm wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:05 am Our Commercial Manager should be knocking on every door in the town pleading for sponsorship to keep our Club alive.
So when he knocks on yours how much are young going to stump up?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Back in the day,I would be a Charlie Clapham out person, becareful what you wish for comes to mind,yes the grounds ok,the pitch great,but on the pitch we have been overtaken by alot of smaller clubs than ours,
I know it's the obvious, but we need money quickly to buy better players, this demise hasn't happened overnight, but yes the players give it all on the pitch, but that isn't good enough to year in year out be scrapping for survival in this league, if it stays as it is,it's only a matter of time till we drop,the captain of the Titanic doesn't see the iceberg everyone is shouting about, up the port
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Fans are concerned on here which is great, because that shows that people still care about the club.Whether enough care is always open to debate?
I don't see any easy answers to the problems we have and as someone fairly close to the club through sponsorship this last few seasons said to me at the beginning of the season, it could be a case of "taking our medicine this year".We obviously hope that doesn't mean the worst scenario, but if that happened I think we should be prepared for it.I said to a few close pals that if we were ever relegated from the National League, I wouldn't watch THIS level of football again.
I'm still here.Tough to take when you don't see many wins-but still here.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Let me quickly add that I D'ONT think we will go down this season.
The frustration in not getting our best eleven out on the pitch regularly is huge,and I don't think we'd have any problems in competing a lot nearer the top of this division if we could.We all know though, that football doesn't work like that.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

I do scratch my head with some of the panic going on from supporters.
I have to agree with Liam when he said many would of looked at our first 8 league fixtures (that the fixture computer spat out so cruelly for us) and would of said we'll be lucky to get some points from that lot.
We aren't getting thumped.
We aren't getting outplayed.
Let's have a bit of calm, patience and get behind the players, manager and board.
It's not being negative not expecting much from these first eight matches against clubs who are full time and with enormous budgets.
It's all well and good saying we need more money spent, where from?
The Commercial guy is working his nuts off apparently and Ian said last week we'd love new investment if anyone wants to step on board they're welcome.
Yes we are a bit thin on the ground on numbers but their is no point just bringing in players for the sake of it.
Trust in Liam, he knows his squad more than we do and his contacts and scouts will be looking for suitable loans or new players.
Let's all just calm down and see where we are by the Christmas/New Year period.
Doom and gloom comments on here doesn't give confidence to our very young squad does it. 💛🖤👍
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

So it appears the injured subs bench was true. There in name only to hide embarrassment as someone has already said. That is an incredibly worrying and damning state of affairs. A couple of your most talented 17/18 yo on your books should be an option for every club who are semi pro. Wait until the winnable games? Winnable games very thin on the ground when you can barely put 11 on the pitch. Grim.