Exiled
----------
----------

Re: Southport 2-0 Alfreton - Match Thread

Post by Exiled »

yellosoul wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:12 pm
Stratford Excile wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:48 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:08 pm
Before my time but I thought legend had it that we had one of the best pitches in the country in those days?
Probably the best atmosphere I have ever witnessed at Haig Ave and what an enjoyable team they were to watch.

Just a shame that the goals were not shown on the video!!
I was a young schoolboy wandering around the ground trying to find somewhere to stand. Toilet roll confiscated by a policeman.

I’ve got the video of this game, it was shown on ITV Wales but obviously never got to see it until a few years ago. Rumour is that footage of the goals actually wore out on the original master tape due to repeated plays, presumably not by ITV Wales.
I seem to recall hearing that they may have cut the goals out of the original footage for the news or a highlights programme and then they presumably got lost or separated from the original footage?
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

tonyhey wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:52 pm
BackoftheNet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:22 pm https://youtu.be/m8Ny9Q0O-hw
Take a look at the SFC v Cardiff cup game in 1966. Some great players from the past.

https://youtu.be/s51bRhQr7yM
Second half of same match.
Check out the state of the pitch
WOW! That brought back some memories, some of Southport’s greatest ever players on show. I was 13 and in Alan Spence’s class at Meols Cop. From memory, Alan almost didn’t make the game, he was suffering from flu. The papers next morning were full of pictures of him, in bed, being served tea and toast by wife Doris.
I didn’t realise that Cardiff had Terry Harkin playing for them, he later had a successful spell with us.
Fabulous video.
Chances are we were at Meols Cop together happy days were they TonyHey..........If I am not mistaken George Andrews was signed from Cardiff?
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:00 pm
tonyhey wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:52 pm
BackoftheNet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:22 pm https://youtu.be/m8Ny9Q0O-hw
Take a look at the SFC v Cardiff cup game in 1966. Some great players from the past.

https://youtu.be/s51bRhQr7yM
Second half of same match.
Check out the state of the pitch
WOW! That brought back some memories, some of Southport’s greatest ever players on show. I was 13 and in Alan Spence’s class at Meols Cop. From memory, Alan almost didn’t make the game, he was suffering from flu. The papers next morning were full of pictures of him, in bed, being served tea and toast by wife Doris.
I didn’t realise that Cardiff had Terry Harkin playing for them, he later had a successful spell with us.
Fabulous video.
Chances are we were at Meols Cop together happy days were they TonyHey..........If I am not mistaken George Andrews was signed from Cardiff?
Possibly, but I do remember Terry Harkin.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

The Cardiff TV coverage has been discussed on here before. Someone authoritatively posted that the goals were cut from the tape to be shown on the news, and the clips were then lost.

On YouTube you will also find the Swindon league game - 3-3 IIRC - and some ‘home movies’ of the Everton game.
I think that there’s also a bit of a 60’s game at Tranmere on there too.
yellow mountain
----------
----------

Post by yellow mountain »

George Andrews is my all time favourite player for the sandgrounders.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

George was fantastic.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Redrobe fan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:31 pm The Cardiff TV coverage has been discussed on here before. Someone authoritatively posted that the goals were cut from the tape to be shown on the news, and the clips were then lost.

On YouTube you will also find the Swindon league game - 3-3 IIRC - and some ‘home movies’ of the Everton game.
I think that there’s also a bit of a 60’s game at Tranmere on there too.
I was at the Swindon game with my brother. Don Rodgers played an absolute blinder for them.