Cliff Marshall

Past players, managers, matches and news
Hat Trick Patrick
----------
----------

Cliff Marshall

Post by Hat Trick Patrick »

Just heard that Cliff has passed away at the age of 66. He had a short spell with Southport in the 1976/77 season, and was one of the first black players to play for us. I think Bill Perry may have been the first? RIP Cliff.
SfcFPA
----------
----------

Re: Cliff Marshall

Post by SfcFPA »

Hat Trick Patrick wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:55 am I think Bill Perry may have been the first? RIP Cliff.
His mother was South African, but I don't think Bill Perry was black...The first black player to play for England is widely credited as Viv Anderson in 1978 but Bill Perry played for England in 1955/56.

I believe Southport's first black player was a Birkdale schoolboy called "Costa" in 1918, followed by Fred Hanley in the late 1930s who was a regular reserve before moving to Chelsea.
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

I read somewhere that Bill Perry was described as "cape coloured" which in all honesty I find rather strange because he was of mixed race and perhaps at that time it was better than using some of the other descriptions that were commonly used in those days. I got his autograph once outside the players entrance and he was very pleasant man and gave quite a bit of time to question us all about football. He was one of three ex Blackpool 1953 FA Cup winners to play for the Port the other two being Stan Mortenson and Cyril Robinson, indeed Bill scored the winning goal in that match (the Mathews final) Morty scoring the first ever hat-trick at Wembley. I seem to remember we paid Blackpool £3500 for him, at that time my dad had just got a 20 year mortgage of £6000 to buy our house, what a comparison when many of todays top players can buy a luxury home outright after just a few weeks.
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

I believe Cliff Marshall was credited with being Everton's first black player although Mike Trebicock was mixed race.
Regardless he didn't make many appearances for either Everton or Southport but I do remember a lot was made of his colour when he signed for Southport. I remember him being a decent player, not sure now why he didn't play more matches?