Darlington - FA Trophy

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Re: Darlington - FA Trophy - GAME OFF

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ste_B wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:02 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:50 pm Was up at Meols Cop retail park earlier so had a drive past. No sign of any damage visible from outside other than a missing clear panel from the away end of the stand, which might have been missing for some time anyway.
Can't see inside the ground other than long distance from across the park but no sign of any major damage.
The floodlights are still standing, even the Poplar trees have survived.
I think there's a couple of missing panels already, although I don't recall them ever being clear.
Yes, a bugbear of mine. They were presumably clear in 1968 and long overdue for replacing as we have a few hundred nice new seats with obstructed views that wouldnt be obstructed if you could see through the panels.
I assume the plastic has degraded rather than them just needing a clean.
It surely wouldn't cost a huge amount to replace them.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

The volunteer who covers all the maintenance at the club was , as usual, at the ground first thing and found many broken and dislodged signs and hoardings and the pitch strewn with debris. I understand he managed to get another volunteer to come and assist in clearing up/ repairing and they were still at it a few hours later. Im not personally aware of when/ how the decision is made to call games off but no doubt itll take into account the potential safety issues as well as travelling for away support/team.
I think they were exceptionally strong winds last night and as everyone knows its a old ground and whilst it looks tidy and smart at the moment , theres always something going wrong, falling off,just like some of us old’uns😂.
A good time to remember of course that there are no paid maintenance staff at the club, only volunteers and most of it falls to one man of mature years whofrankly devotes his life to it! He wouldnt thank me for naming him but regulars will know who he is and youll see him every match day, running around keeping everything going. He deserves at least our thanks if not a medal!👍
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:20 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:50 pm Was up at Meols Cop retail park earlier so had a drive past. No sign of any damage visible from outside other than a missing clear panel from the away end of the stand, which might have been missing for some time anyway.
Can't see inside the ground other than long distance from across the park but no sign of any major damage.
The floodlights are still standing, even the Poplar trees have survived.
I think there's a couple of missing panels already, although I don't recall them ever being clear.
Yes, a bugbear of mine. They were presumably clear in 1968 and long overdue for replacing as we have a few hundred nice new seats with obstructed views that wouldnt be obstructed if you could see through the panels.
I agree that the panels in the Main Stand should be top of the ground improvement priority list.

I understand at the moment, the immediate finacial concerns of the club are navigating the Covid waters, possibility made trickier by announcements tonight, and ensuring the loss of the main stadium sponsor is ameliorated and accounted for.

However, when all settles down and eyes turn to the next ground improvement that could be club-led or fundraised through fans groups, it should be the panels on the Main Stand.

One is missing, the others are grim, dirty and given the newness of the seats, they look crap in comparison.

No idea how much they cost to replace. I would imagine materials are quite cheap, they are only a form of plastic after all. Either way, this should be looked at.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:46 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:20 pm

I agree that the panels in the Main Stand should be top of the ground improvement priority list.

I understand at the moment, the immediate finacial concerns of the club are navigating the Covid waters, possibility made trickier by announcements tonight, and ensuring the loss of the main stadium sponsor is ameliorated and accounted for.

However, when all settles down and eyes turn to the next ground improvement that could be club-led or fundraised through fans groups, it should be the panels on the Main Stand.

One is missing, the others are grim, dirty and given the newness of the seats, they look crap in comparison.

No idea how much they cost to replace. I would imagine materials are quite cheap, they are only a form of plastic after all. Either way, this should be looked at.
I had to Google "ameliorated". (make better).
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Good to hear it was nothing more serious but thank you to the volunteers.
Sand74
----------
----------

Post by Sand74 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:50 pm The floodlights are still standing, even the Poplar trees have survived.
Aren't they called "Popular Trees"?
Formerly known as Lurch (S.F.C)
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

For anyone interested in knowing, contractors are working at the front of the ground today to replace corrugated sheeting and signage damaged in the storm . Some of this damage might not have obvious to the casual glance as it was under the overhanging section of the frontage but nevertheless on Saturday , the potential for injury from falling debris would have been an issue. Part of the large picture of the jack carr stand was also hanging loose and had to be removed.
The damage inside has now been sorted: replacing and securing broken hoardings including some on the floodlights which had been ripped off. Otherwise , a lot of leaf sweeping, tidying etc.
Busy morning for the volunteers on the back of what was done on saturday👍
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Rabbit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:35 pm For anyone interested in knowing, contractors are working at the front of the ground today to replace corrugated sheeting and signage damaged in the storm . Some of this damage might not have obvious to the casual glance as it was under the overhanging section of the frontage but nevertheless on Saturday , the potential for injury from falling debris would have been an issue. Part of the large picture of the jack carr stand was also hanging loose and had to be removed.
The damage inside has now been sorted: replacing and securing broken hoardings including some on the floodlights which had been ripped off. Otherwise , a lot of leaf sweeping, tidying etc.
Thank you to all for your work.
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

Rabbit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:35 pm For anyone interested in knowing, contractors are working at the front of the ground today to replace corrugated sheeting and signage damaged in the storm . Some of this damage might not have obvious to the casual glance as it was under the overhanging section of the frontage but nevertheless on Saturday , the potential for injury from falling debris would have been an issue. Part of the large picture of the jack carr stand was also hanging loose and had to be removed.
I asked earlier in the thread and thank you for telling us.

Very pleased that it isn't too serious. . Thank you for those doing it.
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Well done & thank you to all the the vollies.......
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sand74 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:25 am
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:50 pm The floodlights are still standing, even the Poplar trees have survived.
Aren't they called "Popular Trees"?
Are they that popular? Ive always preferred a sturdy birch myself. :)
couille du chien
----------
----------

Post by couille du chien »

Ralphy you should get 3 lashes of the birch for that, (it’s a punishment from the good old days) it was “poplar “ with the old squires then
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Bit windy again Tuesday night.Hope no more damage.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

couille du chien wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:11 pm Ralphy you should get 3 lashes of the birch for that, (it’s a punishment from the good old days) it was “poplar “ with the old squires then
Yew should both be ashamed.
Ref the birch, i soon twigged that bad behaviour wasn't acceptable after two or tree treatments. You have to cedar the punishment has to match the crime. I guess i willow you all an apology now.....please don't call the copse !.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I don’t know why you bother to log on.
port4ever
----------
----------

Post by port4ever »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:23 pm I don’t know why you bother to log on.
He's branching out!
pault
----------
----------

Post by pault »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:23 pm I don’t know why you bother to log on.
Leaf him alone
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

It might be a good idea to edit the title of this thread.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Re: Darlington - FA Trophy

Post by Redrobe fan »

Thanks for the response!
couille du chien
----------
----------

Re: Darlington - FA Trophy

Post by couille du chien »

Good woo(r)d play ,don’t chop me down