Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by portexileinbath »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:00 pm
becbee wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:28 am
Ste_B wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:03 am The Southportonians is a great nickname that should be brought back.
images/icons/smile/question.gif

Absolutely no! Since I moved away from Southport over 40 years ago I've always told people that the name for people from Southport is Sandgrounder and that there's no such thing as a Southportian. Please don't bunk my claim.

Although I was always told that to be a true Sandgrounder, not only did you have to have been born in Southport but that both your parents also had to have been. Which counts a lot of us out. Will count out future generations now that there's no longer a maternity unit in Southport. But we can all pretend.
The original definition of a Sandgrounder was someone born between the River Alt and the River Douglas (formerly River Astland) and predates the existence of Southport.
I was born in Devon and arrived in Southport as a cherub like 5 year old. We didn't live in Port for many years before moving to Cheltenham and in my case onward to Bath. Importantly my mother took me to watch the Port and I became a lifelong supporter (for my sins, I guess). I have always referred to myself as a Sandgrounder because of my football affiliation and intend to continue to do so. I will never be a Bathonian.
If there is any question of the qualification to be a "true" Sandgrounder, special dispensation should be granted to exiles who have remained true fans for 25 years (or 50 years in my case)............. Please !.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:53 pm
If there is any question of the qualification to be a "true" Sandgrounder, special dispensation should be granted to exiles who have remained true fans for 25 years (or 50 years in my case)............. Please !.
Absolutely.
I'm not sure why some people take such pride in the fact that they, their parents and all their grandparents were all born in the same town and none of them ever lived anywhere else. It must engender a very narrow view of the world. And yet the for the vast majority of them such local pride doesn't extend to their local football team.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:03 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:53 pm
Absolutely.
I'm not sure why some people take such pride in the fact that they, their parents and all their grandparents were all born in the same town and none of them ever lived anywhere else. It must engender a very narrow view of the world. And yet the for the vast majority of them such local pride doesn't extend to their local football team.
Who are we to judge why people take such pride? Let them. Nothing wrong with that.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:28 pm

Who are we to judge why people take such pride? Let them. Nothing wrong with that.
Perhaps pride was the wrong term. Nothing wrong with a bit of local pride at all. It's more the constant moaning about the town from people who've never lived anywhere else whilst simultaneously looking down on people who've chosen to come and live here that annoys me.
That and being told I'm not a proper Sandgrounder by people who toddle off to watch Liverpool/Everton/Man United.
Last edited by Ralphy Rylance on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
pault
----------
----------

Post by pault »

Redrobe wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:27 pm Just heard that Cliff Marshall has passed away today after a short illness. I remember seeing his debut for Port, home to Torquay I think. RIP Cliff.

He was Everton's first black player, quite possibly ours too unless anyone knows different?
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:47 am [quote="Big Mac 1985" post_id=9849 time=1638397687

Perhaps pride was the wrong term. Nothing wrong with a bit of local pride at all. It's more the constant moaning about the town from people who've never lived anywhere else whilst simultaneously looking down on people who've chosen to come and live here that annoys me.
That and being told I'm not a proper Sandgrounder by people who toddle off to watch Liverpool/Everton/Man United.
[/quote]

Fair enough, RR.

Personally, I love Southport. The affinity with the town won't leave me, even if I've spent most of my life living in other places. Current circumstance means I probably won't be returning to the town to live, but I get back enough...too much family not to. And that's when I take in my Southport matches. I was 7 when I moved away from the town, but it's incredible how many memories I have from 1989-1992...Jack & Vera Preece on the coaches, taking Gordon the Gopher to matches, sitting behind the dugout, my dad sweeping the stands on a Thursday, Steve Haw at Emley and getting excited when we wore a white kit at Farnborough :lol: . Being a fan is how you want to perceive it. Who cares what a proper Sandgrounder is? As long as you are comfortable yourself then all is good. This club is more than results.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Former Port player Cole Stockton live on BBC 1 for Morecambe
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Morgan Homson-Smith scored Bootle's 2nd goal in their 2-4 defeat to Warrington Roland's in the league.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Paul Cook sacked as Ipswich manager.
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Paddy Lacey scored Chester's 1st goal in their 2-1 win over Leamington.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

The much travelled busy wing back Alex Whittle playing in the FA Cup tie for Chesterfield at Salford .
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Steven Schumacher in as manager at Plymouth
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Steven Schumacher is the new manager at Plymouth as Ryan Lowe looks set to be joining PNE as manager.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59576340

Toto Nsiala: Ipswich Town defender apologises for altercation with supporters at Charlton
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Sam Finlay was sent off for Bristol Rovers for an off the ball incident in their 2-1 home defeat to Port Vale.
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

Jason Gilchrist has joined Buxton on loan from York.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Swedes wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:41 pm Jason Gilchrist has joined Buxton on loan from York.

It's not a loan.
His contract at York has been terminated by mutual consent.
https://twitter.com/YorkCityFC/status/1 ... p0kvg&s=19
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Above link doesn't work. Text is as below:

York City FC
@YorkCityFC
·
5h
Jason Gilchrist has left the club by mutual agreement.

Subject to FA approval, Gilchrist’s contract will be cancelled with immediate effect.

We would like to thank Jason for his time with the club and wish him the best for the future.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Dion Charles played his first match for a while in their Under 23 Central league match with Preston North End this afternoon. Acci lost 4-2.
Time to get him fit before January transfer window maybe?
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Jason Gilchrist signs for Buxton.

Strange player, had that year at FCUM and half a season under Davies where he looked miles too good for this league, then he completely dropped off a cliff.