Southport 2-0 Hereford - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Re: Southport 2-0 Hereford - Match Thread

Post by TrickyDicky »

TrickyDicky wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:41 pm
Sam wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:54 pm Well this is a nice run isn't it?

I haven't been to a game since Alty and did question wonder if things would get better.

They certainly have.

Who'd have thought a new assistant could work out as signing of the season?
For those who seen most of the games they’d already been getting better before Altrincham and were unlucky not to get a positive result , eg 4 cup games V Chorley and Spennymoor in the it just needs a bit a faith and loyalty.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

TrickyDicky wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:43 pm
TrickyDicky wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:41 pm

I haven't been to a game since Alty and did question wonder if things would get better.

They certainly have.

For those who seen most of the games they’d already been getting better before Altrincham and were unlucky not to get a positive result , eg 4 cup games V Chorley and Spennymoor in the cup it just needs a bit a faith and loyalty, the current team well deserves that.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

I was a bit concerned when I saw the team and only three fit defenders, but Jack did little wrong at centre half and Dylan did a job at wing back.
Hereford were a hard working organised team, but lacked any real quality and ran out of gas in the second half.

I think we deserved the win in awful conditions, our work rate and fitness across the whole team is second to none.

The next few games, all away, will determine if we can comfortably move into the playoffs.

The other factor to take into account is we are not leaking soft goals any more. The last 5 League games we have a 9-2 goal difference.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

port4ever wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:56 pm Herefords manager Gowling, not complementary. Comes over as a bitter sore loser! Gracious in defeat obviously doesn't apply with him.
He’s another mouthy tosser, in the queue with those 2 ***kwits at Chorley 🤣
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Credit to both teams and the match officials who all played their part in atrocious conditions. The wind was horrific, although it probably helped that it was towards the Pop side as opposed to either end. It meant that although conditions were very poor, there was no real advantage to attacking either end and the game ebbed and flowed. Referee was best of the season, he understood the conditions and managed the game well.

The pitch looked dire but drained well. The Brick End penalty area is a mess and the condition of the pitch is as bad as I can ever remember. Although that said, you can tell the drainage has improved as even after the deluge today, the ball rarely got stuck. That corner which was always prone to flooding wasn't an issue, the only time the ball didn't roll was in the Brick End mud, which is more of a surface issue than a drainage one.

There is little to be gained analysing performances after that type of game, nobody can play football in that. It was a game to be functional, take no chances, clear your lines and always play down the channels. The game was settled on two errors from Hereford, first the full back misjudged a rolling ball in the corner and was robbed by Carver who crossed. Second, the defender took the mad decision to try and pass back to his keeper through a mudbath.

I thought Woods was excellent, his close control is a joy and he was the best footballer on the day. The two wing backs deserve a shout, Vassallo and Oliver were very good. On days like this when the game is predominantly played down both channels they become very important, they defended well and I thought Vassallo especially was smart on the ball.

Now to pick up an away win, we have a glut of away games and the table is difficult to judge with the disparity of games played, let's keep going and assess where we are in the new year.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Post deleted
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

If we can win at Guiseley and Gateshead beat York on Tuesday we will be in a play-off position with still a game in hand on most.
Excellent solid defensive performance in the second half today.Work rate from the whole team was brilliant. Just driving back home to Manchester was horrible, all those guys on the pitch deserve a lot of credit. Just wonder why we didn't bring any subs on later on for fresh legs. Do we assume nobody else was fit enough?
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Not surprised at state of pitch today,after all the rain in last week plus three games on it in five days.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Ste_B wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 pm
Sam wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:54 pm Who'd have thought a new assistant could work out as signing of the season?
Not to take anything away from Terry, but I think this logic is doing a disservice to LW and the team. The games since Terry came in have been significantly less difficult. Even runaway champions would accept narrow defeats away to AFC Fylde, Brackley, Spennymoor & York.

Once these upcoming away games are done I think we'll have a fairly good idea of where we really stand.
Agreed
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

Brianm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:06 pm If we can win at Guiseley and Gateshead beat York on Tuesday we will be in a play-off position with still a game in hand on most.
Excellent solid defensive performance in the second half today.Work rate from the whole team was brilliant. Just driving back home to Manchester was horrible, all those guys on the pitch deserve a lot of credit. Just wonder why we didn't bring any subs on later on for fresh legs. Do we assume nobody else was fit enough?
Liam has used subs sparingly all season. Not wishing to assume I know why, but unless a player is flagging or injured, why sub? Chasing a game, maybe. But today, we weren't. We have a small squad so resting players properly, by not playing them at all, works better than tiring everyone out. We have had spells of Sat, Tues, Sat, Tues and it seems to be that he is taking care of his players. Tricky enough to come on for the last 20mins, but in that weather today!?!?

Terrific win today. Played intelligently 2nd half and Gosling probably felt his side would win after getting to HT on level terms. He should direct his frustration at his striker who put it over the Jack Carr stand from 10yds out.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Another solid win - and clean sheet - against opponents who had momentum, decent gate too considering the weather, well in Port.
issy
----------
----------

Post by issy »

It has been a long time since we could travel to Haig Avenue with such confidence. It is a joy to see the team play (much reduced big boot football), create chances and score goals. Long may this continue.
Encountering the weather on the way back to the car, how on earth did they manage to put on a performance like that. The pressing game never gave Herford time on the ball and forced them to make mistakes. I thought Anson, Oliver and our midfield were magnificent.
Have the management given any thought to offering longer term contracts to the key players (of which there are many) in the squad, to ensure the core of a competitive team in 2022/23 season?
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

Just a great non stop performance, they stopped a decent side playing.
The way they are playing as a team helping each other out by ganging up on the opposition players winning the ball and then attacking in numbers is brilliant.
Never seen anything like this for years.
Well done to Liam for obtaining and assembling this set of players.
And well done to the players for buying into it.
I think the Supporters are also buying into this as well and the players are loving it.
Onward etc.
Route66
----------
----------

Post by Route66 »

Just a great non stop performance, they stopped a decent side playing.
The way they are playing as a team helping each other out by ganging up on the opposition players winning the ball and then attacking in numbers is brilliant.
Never seen anything like this for years.
Well done to Liam for obtaining and assembling this set of players.
And well done to the players for buying into it.
I think the Supporters are also buying into this as well and the players are loving it.
Onward etc.

Totally agree. There is clearly a fantastic team spirit in the squad. Long may it continue! Who knows how far it could take us?
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

issy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:07 pm Have the management given any thought to offering longer term contracts to the key players (of which there are many) in the squad, to ensure the core of a competitive team in 2022/23 season?
I doubt it's really something we need to be worried about. In all of LW's years I don't recall us ever losing a decent player for nothing?
BackoftheNet
----------
----------

Post by BackoftheNet »

On a horrible day to play football the whole team worked their socks off. What I love about our play now is that we never give an inch or back off from a confrontation. Every single player plays for each other and we can play good football. Today was not a day to play good football but we won. Excellent result. Come on the Porrrrt.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

A great team effort today. Every player really put in a shift, backed each over up all over the pitch and refused to give up on any ball. I thought that some of their players looked fairly good, I can see why they have been on a good run of form recently. Our lads were outstanding though, there is nothing I can say that would do justice to just how good it feels to watch our team now.

Commendation for our announcer Nic - great to walk in to the sound of Run DMC and Aerosmith. Some great music picks there :-)
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

They certainly have.

Some of us did think we needed fresh blood. :D
exile
----------
----------

Post by exile »

port4ever wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:56 pm Herefords manager Gowling, not complementary. Comes over as a bitter sore loser! Gracious in defeat obviously doesn't apply with him.
When was the last time an opposition manager gave us any credit..? We must be doing something right to have gone on a run like we have, but the general assessment is that we're 'horrible', as though we've kicked and cheated our way from bottom of the table to mid-table.

If we are 'horrible', long may it continue..!
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

I did not think the pitch was a “quagmire” there is no doubt the Brickend corner is still not right but the rest although showing signs of wear and tear is still firm and the ball runs over it quite quick and true.
Much better than it used to.