Guiseley 0-2 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Swedes
----------
----------

Re: Guiseley 0-2 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Swedes »

Strange game. Guiseley had a lot of the ball but rarely looked like doing anything with it, and we capitalised on their mistakes. For the first goal, their defence seemed intent on letting Archer have the ball in the penalty area he got his shot off which the keeper saved but spilled out straight to Carver for a tap-in. Second goal they gave away the ball on our left, we worked it infield to the edge of the penalty area, and Hmami lashed it into the far corner of the net.

The second half was largely uneventful bar an unfortunate injury for one of their lads who was stretchered off. Guiseley had even more of the ball but lacked any cutting edge, and our game management help us see out the match.

To be fair to Guiseley, they tried to play nice attractive football, but their attempts at playing it out from the back were sometimes comical! We were just much more streetwise than them and were fully deserving of the win.
IBarch

Post by IBarch »

Absolutely was a routine win. Guiseley lacked any real quality and created little all game. Our back line was solid with Anson and Bainbridge comfortable all night, bar one moment in the 1st half which had 2 goal line clearences before Mason punched it clear. Oliver had the best game I've seen him play.
The midfield competed well and didn't let Guiseley get any momentum. Up front Carver caused them problems all game and put his usual shift in. Playing Archer alongside with Conner Woods in a slightly deeper central role meant we were able to exert pressure every time the ball went forward. This team Is a world away from hoof ball to a lonely Jack Sampson up front or previous years.
Our vocal away support put their keeper on edge from the start and he almost dropped a routine cross into his own net in the first couple of minutes. It was no surprise to see him fail to hold a shot, pushing the ball straight to Carver for a tap in. Archer should have made it two, putting a header over when unmarked in the centre of the box, the keeper already beaten. Woods was unlucky to see a fierce shot go just wide not long after. It would have been a disappointment to go into the break only 1-0 up but the 2nd arrived in the 44th minute with a terrific finish from Hmami after another good break down the left, just when it looked like Guiseley would scramble it clear.
The 2nd half didn't provide many good chances for either side. Southport were comfortable to sit back and deal with anything that came their way. Guiseley struggled to make any impact and only created a couple of half chances,with a shot over the bar and a another shot from the left corner of the box curling wide of the right stick.
A 50 50 challenge on 83 minutes resulted in a nasty injury to the Guiseley forward, the physio calling for a stretcher straight away. The game restarted after a 7 minute stoppage but aside from a few petty late tackles it drifted to a quiet conclusion.
Brilliant away support from the travelling yellow army all game and hearing their voices carrying out the ground after the final whistle provided a fitting end to a very satisfactory night.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Brilliant 3 points away. always Gold what a return to form since the early season, with a bottom team to come, hopefully a very happy Christmas for the Players Fans & the Club....
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Good win on a very chilly night.
Fair play to Guiseley they tried to play football, however they need to learn where to play football(i.e not in their own box)

We were well on top first half, although we did allow them several decent chances. Soft first goal after the keeper fumbled and a super strike from Hmami.

The result was never in doubt after that and we just killed the game off in the second half as neither side really threatened. Hope their lad is OK, looked a bad injury.
Bainbridge was immense. Some of the tackles and blocks he put in were outstanding and even had time for some banter with those in the stand at the end.

Into the playoffs and a great chance to pick up more points on Saturday.

Needs to get a few players fit. Jack Doyle took part in the warm up, so should be available Sat. Not sure on the others.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I'm concerned Watson is trying his best to get us out of this league by any means necessary. Watson Out!

I keep waiting for us to lose a tight tricky affair, and keep getting pleasantly surprised
gazaprop
----------
----------

Post by gazaprop »

Nice to see Marcus's goal drought is over!
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

The Port's first away win of the season,another clean sheet and Marcus on the score sheet once again.I like the sound of as reported "a routine win" and an excellent night's work by the sounds of it.Well done to all..All successful teams get goals right across the board and SFC are definetely starting to do that.The Archer/Carver partnership,Woods,Hmami,with your Bainbridges,Tharmes and Chris Doyle's all chipping in already this season with more to come I reckon from Niall Watson too.Kyle Vassalo is another who I reckon is well capable of goals at this level and it would be great to continue that trend of not relying on just one source for your goals.Hopefully,that potential that a lot of these lads undoubtedly carry will continue to come out over the coming months.
The article I read last week re Liam Edwards returning to Bolton Wanderers looks unfounded after hearing Liam's interview last night, although he did only sign for an initial month's loan I think which was due to run out this week? That situation will no doubt look after itself and hopefully gives Chris Doyle time to get fit before any departure.
I'm pleased we got to play after the storm forecast didn't materialize as such-momentum and all that..
Lets hope we get to keep playing-onto Blyth.
Liamsbodyguard
----------
----------

Post by Liamsbodyguard »

Great result guys must keep this going , this probably one of the best squads i've seen for some time COYY⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

gazaprop wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:00 am Nice to see Marcus's goal drought is over!
Short and sweet.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Post good win (which was predictable 🤨) maybe not then😀, but being a football supporter I can’t help feeling some sympathy for Guiseley reading their forum and listening to their Assistant Manager, they Unfortunately don’t seem to be in a good place as a club , youth players not up to it playing , loan goalkeeper returning to parent club, all kinds of injuries not least of which a serious injury to one of their main players who had to go to hospital in the back of a car because of long delays in ambulances!
I hope they turn it around and pleased they recently won at loveable Chester, ( the rich man’s Stockport) with a goalkeeper in goal (unlike Leamington) and more than 9 men on pitch (unlike Boston)😳
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

TrickyDicky wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:49 pm Unfortunately don’t seem to be in a good place as a club , youth players not up to it playing , loan goalkeeper returning to parent club, all kinds of injuries
Not exactly uncommon problems at this level and ones we've endured ourselves. Good luck to them but not at the expense of hopefully taking 6 points off them.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

TrickyDicky wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:49 pm Post good win (which was predictable 🤨) maybe not then😀, but being a football supporter I can’t help feeling some sympathy for Guiseley reading their forum and listening to their Assistant Manager, they Unfortunately don’t seem to be in a good place as a club , youth players not up to it playing , loan goalkeeper returning to parent club, all kinds of injuries not least of which a serious injury to one of their main players who had to go to hospital in the back of a car because of long delays in ambulances!
I hope they turn it around and pleased they recently won at loveable Chester, ( the rich man’s Stockport) with a goalkeeper in goal (unlike Leamington) and more than 9 men on pitch (unlike Boston)😳
This post proves what a good moment we are in when we show more concern for our opponents!
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Guiseley reported yesterday that they will be putting down an artificial pitch in the summer.