In May 1886 the original Southport FC, nicknamed "the stripes", took to the field for the final time.
They faced off with Southport Wanderers in the Southport Charity Cup Final.
By September and the first game of the season Vs Antley (from Accrington), with the original town team now defunct, a number of players had transferred to Wanderers, following the suggestion at their June AGM.
Following the game against Skelmersdale United, the club abandoned their "Wanderers" name and their red & black kit, in favour of the name and colours of the original club.
The red & white stripes were back.
Thanks to the British Newspaper Archives we can now read the reports of these key points in the history of our town as published in the Southport Visiter.
Past players, managers, matches and news
1 post • Page 1 of 1