You're a Southport supporter?!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Swedes
----------
----------

Re: You're a Southport supporter?!

Post by Swedes »

mancport wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:18 pm
Swedes wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:12 pm I once randomly bumped into another Southport fan in the corridor of a busy Manchester hospital.
Was it Salford royal?
It was! How did you know? ๐Ÿ˜‚
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Video on you tube
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:34 pm
portexileinbath wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:11 am There isn't much to do in Trowbridge
Another town that had a Conference level football club long before we did. But some would have us believe that clubs only pass us on the way up.
Not sure that's a fair comparison. Trowbridge Town was only formed in 1998 and joined the Wiltshire County league in season 2000. The town has a population less than half of Southports and the team attracts support of less than 100. :roll:
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Michael wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:47 pm
portexileinbath wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:11 am There isn't much to do in Trowbridge
Another town that had a Conference level football club long before we did. But some would have us believe that clubs only pass us on the way up.
Not sure that's a fair comparison. Trowbridge Town was only formed in 1998 and joined the Wiltshire County league in season 2000. The town has a population less than half of Southports and the team attracts support of less than 100. :roll:
The original Trowbridge Town FC were in the Alliance Premier League (Conference) for 3 seasons 1981-1984.
I think you've missed the point I was making.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Memory now properly jogged thanks to the posters above, saw the original Trowbridge Town last game of the season 1984 at Farrar Road, Bangor City's former home, now sadly an Asda car park.
Exiled
----------
----------

Post by Exiled »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:35 pm At a pub in Exeter about 2 years ago.
That was me!
40 years a yellow
----------
----------

Post by 40 years a yellow »

I was in Nerja, Southern Spain, on the day of the Everton v Man Utd fa cup final and went into a bar (I think it was called the 3 kings) wearing my Southport top to watch the game. The two guys running the bar recognised it straightaway and said they used to play for Southport. We got chatting and I don't think I paid for a drink all afternoon / night and got so incredibly drunk I forgot the names of the two gents (I forgot where I was staying too and spent ages staggering round asking random strangers to take me home). It took me 48 hours to fully recover, just in time to catch my flight home so never got the chance to go back and say thank you and find out who they were
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

40 years a yellow wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:40 pm I was in Nerja, Southern Spain, on the day of the Everton v Man Utd fa cup final and went into a bar (I think it was called the 3 kings) wearing my Southport top to watch the game. The two guys running the bar recognised it straightaway and said they used to play for Southport. We got chatting and I don't think I paid for a drink all afternoon / night and got so incredibly drunk I forgot the names of the two gents (I forgot where I was staying too and spent ages staggering round asking random strangers to take me home). It took me 48 hours to fully recover, just in time to catch my flight home so never got the chance to go back and say thank you and find out who they were
Hmmmmm
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:36 pm

The original Trowbridge Town FC were in the Alliance Premier League (Conference) for 3 seasons 1981-1984.
I think you've missed the point I was making.
You may well be right but we were a league team for many years before dropping into the Conference. I don't think the original Trowbridge ever attained league status and so the suggestion that they passed us on the way down seems an unfair comparison particularly given the demographics.
Sgreen1234
Call Me Steve
Call Me Steve

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Ive met Anthony John Clarke at gigs a couple of times https://anthonyjohnclarke.com/
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Michael wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:38 pm
You may well be right but we were a league team for many years before dropping into the Conference. I don't think the original Trowbridge ever attained league status and so the suggestion that they passed us on the way down seems an unfair comparison particularly given the demographics.
The point of my post was not to be unkind to little old Trowbridge, just to point out that it isn't always one way traffic as some Port Chatters would have us believe.

We never dropped into the Conference/Alliance Premier League. It didn't exist at the time.
mancport
----------
----------

Post by mancport »

[/quote]

Was it Salford royal?
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm pretty sure it was me.About eight years ago i was working on the gynaecology department at Salford Royal.
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

mancport wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:41 pm .
Was it Salford royal?
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm pretty sure it was me.About eight years ago i was working on the gynaecology department at Salford Royal.
[/quote]

It was about 10 years ago, I would have been on my way to ICU or one of the respiratory wards. There can't be that many meeting of Southport fans there, so safe to say it was you!
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Redrobe fan wrote: โ†‘Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:24 am
Big Mac 1985 wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:00 pm

Aylesbury too. Nice article on BBC Football today about when they played England in a Euro 88 warm up. Perhaps we donโ€™t have it all that bad!
Didn't we beat Bulgaria at HA in 1966?
No,it was Hungary and I think we won 4-2 and it was played behind closed doors but I sneaked in.

The match was part of their World Cup build up and I think their star player was Florian Albert,a prolific goal scorer at that time but not against the Port!,
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

And Ferenc Puskas came back in 1967 to play in a community fundraiser at South Liverpool.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:31 pm
Michael wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:38 pm
The point of my post was not to be unkind to little old Trowbridge, just to point out that it isn't always one way traffic as some Port Chatters would have us believe.

We never dropped into the Conference/Alliance Premier League. It didn't exist at the time.
I agree it is not always one way traffic but to infer Trowbridge passed us on the way down is clearly incorrect as they were never above us.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

michael wrote: I agree it is not always one way traffic but to infer Trowbridge passed us on the way down is clearly incorrect as they were never above us.
Jesus wept! How many times do you need to be presented with the same facts?
Trowbridge Town were in the Alliance Premier League for 3 years (1981-1984) whilst we were at the level below in the Northern Premier League

https://www.fchd.info/TROWBRIT.HTM
https://www.fchd.info/SOUTHPOR.HTM
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Who would have thought a simple comment could give Trowbridge such fame.
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:20 pm
michael wrote: I agree it is not always one way traffic but to infer Trowbridge passed us on the way down is clearly incorrect as they were never above us.
Jesus wept! How many times do you need to be presented with the same facts?
Trowbridge Town were in the Alliance Premier League for 3 years (1981-1984) whilst we were at the level below in the Northern Premier League

https://www.fchd.info/TROWBRIT.HTM
https://www.fchd.info/SOUTHPOR.HTM
And they went bust in 1998. A new club was formed and entered the Wiltshire County League in 1999 where they remain to this day. To use Trowbridge as an example of a club passing us on the way down purely on the basis of a mere 3 years in the Conference when we were in the Northern Premier is ridiculous. Indeed, your reference to ' little old Trowbridge' (your words) destroys your argument.
Don't let the facts ruin a good story.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

And I thought Trowbridge was just a train stop in the way from Bath to Eastleigh & Yeovil....... I wish I had mentioned Trowbridge rugby club as an ex work colleague and friend is a major sponsor of them and would be very happy at the publicity.
Ps. Hi Alex, as you will see, Trowbridge is a hot topic on Port chat !.