Spennymoor 0-0 Southport - I'm coming down with a bad case of Cup Fever - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Re: Spennymoor 0-0 Southport - I'm coming down with a bad case of Cup Fever - Match Thread

Post by TrickyDicky »

Well done to the team and supporters who went today and were rewarded for their endeavours . Having the guts and the bottle to go to tough away games where you’re underdogs makes getting a positive result all the more betterand memorable. We thoroughly earned our 4th FA Cup tie with a steadfast defensive display, that was rarely troubled. Inevitably, it gets twitchy late on and the last 15-20 minutes today were no exception, mainly for us but Spennymoor too. Like Chorley, the home replay will be be just as tough, but one thing is apparent we finished yet another game looking fitter than the opposition and hopefully this will stand us in good stead for Tuesday, when the conditions are predicted at this moment to be inclement to say the least !
Up the Port
george
----------
----------

Re: Spennymoor 0-0 Southport - I'm coming down with a bad case of Cup Fever - Match Thread

Post by george »

Wasn't there,working, in truth, probably wouldn't have gone anyway, have passed the away baton to my son,who is old enough (some might say daft enough)to drive himself there, I do miss,back in the day those away.trips to the likes of Luton (twice).
I will be there Tuesday night, ask any of the players or supporters of Spennymoor weather they think we will.be bottom come the end of the season,
They have the 3 hour drive to face Southport Tuesday night, they won't be looking forward to it,up the port!!
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

A great result today against a tough side. Spennymoors ground is one of the best in the league for the overall fan experience, great day out. Thought we dug in and played really well considering how dangerous Spennymoor can be.

Onto the replay, gives us all something to do on Tuesday. Showed against Chorley at home that with the home crowds backing we can beat anyone. More revenue for the club also has to be a positive.

Away support was fantastic today, always a massive help to the confidence of the team. A big thanks to all those that travelled with us on the bus especially. We do have a bus to York going also next Saturday, inbox me for more.
Sgreen1234
Call Me Steve
Call Me Steve

Post by Sgreen1234 »

superbike999 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:22 pm
Sgreen1234 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:16 pm
David999 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:14 pm Great offer R R - I commented on names as prompted by immediate surprise by their commentators as we appeared “ unusual in this league now not to have names “ - is ownership of a shirt with your name not a cause for pride - especially if it’s paid for by supporters ?
How do other teams cope if players change position though. For example, Connor Woods has number 7 but he's out injured so someone else wears 7 and that player may play another week at right back or something and wear 2. #confused I'm assuming we have to wear 1-11 or is that not the case?
Stuart, That's not the case. We've had squad numbers all this season and possibly last season as well. They don't play as numbers 1 to 11. Look at the numbers for today's match. They've been the same all season and none of them have changed:-

Southport Football Club
@southport_fc

Our line up this afternoon:

1 Cam Mason,
2 Charlie Oliver,
3 Jack Doyle,
5 Adam Anson, (Capt)
6 Doug Tharme,
9 Jordan Archer,
11 Marcus Carver,
14 Chris Doyle,
15 Josh Hmami,
16 Dylan Vassallo
18 Jack Bainbridge

SUBS

13 Tony McMillan
8 Charlie Munro
7 Connor Woods
17 Niall Watson
12 Issac Buckley-Ricketts

Correction, Tony Mc is number 13 - amended
Thanks for clarifying. Ive only managed one game this season and couldnt remember! Was it 1-11 last season? Im getting on you know!
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

Well done everyone who went up there, supporters and players for getting an excellent result

Out of interest, was Jon McCarthy still involved? If not who did the warm ups etc and was alongside Liam in the dugout?
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

No to John. Think it was just Tony Mc in the dugout. Did not see warm up, so can't say.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Thanks to every one who has posted match reports-and also for giving fair and balanced views.It's really appreciated.
It's encouraging to hear positive comments about a group of players who are giving everything to the cause of making Southport FC a better club.
The job in this particular battle is only half done-we know that, but hopefully this kind of performance will give us a little bit more experience of what's needed as this season progresses.
Rls
----------
----------

Post by Rls »

Thought we played well. Certainly wouldn’t have known it was 22nd vs 4th in the league. Great chance for Carver but a fine save from their keeper. 0-0 a fair result, would have been undeserved had their back post header gone in at the end.

Huge thanks to the guys running the coaches, was my first time at an away game for a while and wouldn’t have been able to without a coach (not paying £90+ for a train! Sorry), and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Let’s all get behind the lads on Tuesday, and get involved in cheering them on . Come on you Yellows!
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Rls wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:22 pm Thought we played well. Certainly wouldn’t have known it was 22nd vs 4th in the league. Great chance for Carver but a fine save from their keeper. 0-0 a fair result, would have been undeserved had their back post header gone in at the end.

Huge thanks to the guys running the coaches, was my first time at an away game for a while and wouldn’t have been able to without a coach (not paying £90+ for a train! Sorry), and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Let’s all get behind the lads on Tuesday, and get involved in cheering them on . Come on you Yellows!

Let us hope we take our chances tonight. I can not believe we missed that open goal early on THEIR keeper saved it but with vey little power in the shot he had time to make the save.
BackoftheNet
----------
----------

Post by BackoftheNet »

Just been on to you tube and watched Southport v Notts County. .......just to get into the Cup spirit. Pickford (2) Thompson and Lane. What a match. Big crowd and big result. Let’s Do it all again against Spennymoor tonight. Come on the Porrrt.⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Does anyone know if the game is on, the Monsoon season is upon us 8-)
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Games on alright but now the main question is who’s standing with Liam in the dug out. I’m at the back of the Main Stand so it’s not obvious who it is. Liam says in the programme he’s got a few ideas for assistant and hopes to name one in the near future.