Spennymoor 0-0 Southport - I'm coming down with a bad case of Cup Fever - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ste_B
----------
----------

Re: Spennymoor 0-0 Southport - I'm coming down with a bad case of Cup Fever - Match Thread

Post by Ste_B »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:42 pm
Ste_B wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:38 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:05 pm
I offered to pay for it (on here) but no response from the club.
Do you expect the club to chase up such offers made by anonymous people on message boards?

If you’re serious about making such a generous offer then you should contact them directly.
Thats nonsense.

I'm not anonymous. I'm a shareholder and player sponsor and they know who I am. All they had to do was pm me.
Because of your pettyness, I withdraw my offer.
Are… are you serious?
yellowfever
----------
----------

Re: Spennymoor 0-0 Southport - I'm coming down with a bad case of Cup Fever - Match Thread

Post by yellowfever »

Well done to Liam and the team..
Also to the travelling fans again..excellent..
Safe journey home to all..
Portoldie
----------
----------

Post by Portoldie »

We do have squad numbers.

Niall Watson always wears 17 whether starting or not. Chris Doyle wears 14.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Do you expect the club to chase up such offers made by anonymous people on message boards?

If you’re serious about making such a generous offer then you should contact them directly.
Thats nonsense.

I'm not anonymous. I'm a shareholder and player sponsor and they know who I am. All they had to do was pm me.
Who are you?
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Thats nonsense.

How ridiculous.
Do you think the club is ever going to conduct business by PM on Port Chat?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Of course not, normally, but they do read it. My offer was made in good faith in the context of a light hearted thread on here. All they had to do was pm me. I said to do so.

I try to support the club whenever I can, but my experience of doing so is very poor.

Anyway, ‘ridiculous’ am I , RR? You have cemented my decision not to give them a few hundred quid more.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

This couldn’t be more Port Chat.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Come on folks, this is getting a bit heated.
I for one think the idea and offer were a great idea. I will happily contribute towards it. Having names on shirts makes life a lot easier for long distance fans such as me who only get to about 5-6 games a year.
I presume nobody would be against the idea, if it is suoporter funded...... Surely nobody is that bloody minded.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

As has been stated before the current kit has a sponsors name where the players name would be so it wouldnt just be a case of sticking names on the current shirts. It would be a full new set of shirts and possibly no room for the sponsor on it.
I'd suggest all that might cost more than the £5 x20 that was offered.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Sgreen1234 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:16 pm
David999 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:14 pm Great offer R R - I commented on names as prompted by immediate surprise by their commentators as we appeared “ unusual in this league now not to have names “ - is ownership of a shirt with your name not a cause for pride - especially if it’s paid for by supporters ?
How do other teams cope if players change position though. For example, Connor Woods has number 7 but he's out injured so someone else wears 7 and that player may play another week at right back or something and wear 2. #confused I'm assuming we have to wear 1-11 or is that not the case?
Stuart, That's not the case. We've had squad numbers all this season and possibly last season as well. They don't play as numbers 1 to 11. Look at the numbers for today's match. They've been the same all season and none of them have changed:-

Southport Football Club
@southport_fc

Our line up this afternoon:

1 Cam Mason,
2 Charlie Oliver,
3 Jack Doyle,
5 Adam Anson, (Capt)
6 Doug Tharme,
9 Jordan Archer,
11 Marcus Carver,
14 Chris Doyle,
15 Josh Hmami,
16 Dylan Vassallo
18 Jack Bainbridge

SUBS

13 Tony McMillan
8 Charlie Munro
7 Connor Woods
17 Niall Watson
12 Issac Buckley-Ricketts

Correction, Tony Mc is number 13 - amended
Last edited by superbike999 on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 years a yellow
----------
----------

Post by 40 years a yellow »

To get back to the football ..... another great result today and roll on Tuesday. A win in the replay will be a huge lift for both players and supporters and bring in some much needed money
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

Sgreen1234 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:12 pm We'll take that.

I guess the reasons we don't have names on shirts is that we don't have squad numbers in this league. It would undoubtably be expensive to have several shirts / sizes etc for each number with a few different names that could potentially play in that position. By the same token, we cant put them on per game either.
We do have squad number this season, I think the reason we haven’t got names on the shirts is because there’s no room for them with all the sponsorship on them.
hoofball
----------
----------

Post by hoofball »

Average performance from the lads, we had some good chances in the game but unfortunately didn't take them and thanks again to the yellow army for running another coach and big well done to the Jack Carr lads for singing to support the lads

ROLL ON TUESDAY
LIAM WATSON'S YELLOW ARMY
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:14 pm As has been stated before the current kit has a sponsors name where the players name would be so it wouldnt just be a case of sticking names on the current shirts. It would be a full new set of shirts and possibly no room for the sponsor on it.
I'd suggest all that might cost more than the £5 x20 that was offered.
Digging a hole?

Is £100 not enough to avoid one of your sententious posts?
Actually, I set aside £300 for this season’s support. But forget it now.
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Thought we matched Spennymoor for the most part. We had to soak up a lot of pressure. How we didn’t score from the goalmouth scramble in the first half, I don’t know. Also not sure how they didn’t score with the back post header at the death. Marcus was gifted a one-on-one but the keeper saved well.

Not sure Spennymoor were at their best, so Tuesday will be another tough one.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Can we please talk about the match itself and not a debate around players names on shirts. Many thanks I would like to hear from people that went about the actual game.

Good result today but badly need a win on Tuesday we needs to get our hands on as much money as we possibly can out of this cup run. I am always a firm believer that their is nothing more important than the league, however this season things are a little different as we need to go as far as we can in the FA CUP as it has be come a priority given our financial situation at the club
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

Thats nonsense.

Why withdraw your offer? It's not the club's fault that a message board poster has upset you.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

This thread is weirder than an afternoon in Burscough.

The match was a slog, plenty of effort and committment from both sides but little in the way of goalscoring chances. Port had three opportunities, in the opening minutes a scramble saw Tharme's effort tipped around the post. In the second half, Carver should have scored when he latched on to an underhit pass back to the goalkeeper. Substitute Niall Watson could have won it when he spun his man late on but dragged his effort wide.

Spennymoor didn't manage a shot on target in the first half, they were more of a threat in the second. Glen Taylor took on a shoot on sight policy and Mulhern could have nicked it very late on but his free header at the back post didn't have the power. All being said, a goalless draw was the correct result.

Port set up in the same vein as the previous home win against Chorley, the 5-3-2 nullified the hosts who couldn't create. The three centre halves were excellent, not just physically and in the respect of winning headers, but positionally as well. I do not recall any of three being caught out in behind, Anson and Doyle look like they are forming a great partnership in particular. I thought Vassallo and Bainbridge added great cover, it's clear now that Vassallo is not a left midfielder as he was utilised earlier in the season, he is an effective holding midfielder and looks better in the thick of it.

No system is perfect and the defensive solidity and second consecutive clean sheet have come at the expense of attacking fluency. The absence of width means there's no runners when the ball is recovered and the team is reliant on Archer and Carver holding the ball up and bringing others into play. I feel Hmami suffers in this system too, he was excellent as a "10" at the start of the season, now he is deeper he doesn't have the same effect on the game. He no longer has the license to get beyond the front two and he's often crowded out. This shape also means Woods, Watson and IBR have no place in the team, apart from in an unfamilliar central striker role, usually off the bench.

It's good to be able to mix it up and I would have taken a replay before kick off. If we can strike the balance between this defensive assurance and the flair we showed earlier in the season we will pick up results.
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:05 pm Can we please talk about the match itself and not a debate around players names on shirts. Many thanks I would like to hear from people that went about the actual game.

Good result today but badly need a win on Tuesday we needs to get our hands on as much money as we possibly can out of this cup run. I am always a firm believer that their is nothing more important than the league, however this season things are a little different as we need to go as far as we can in the FA CUP as it has be come a priority given our financial situation at the club
First half was marginally better than the first half at Brackley. Neither keeper tested.
2nd half provided slightly more action. Jack Doyle had a close range, back post header easily saved and Watson put a good chance just past the far post. Ref seemed to take a dislike to Carver. Neither side can feel particularly aggrieved at not winning today.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

becbee wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:25 pm

Thats nonsense.

Why withdraw your offer? It's not the club's fault that a message board poster has upset you.
I’m not even sure what was quite so upsetting about it. Certainly wasn’t meant that way.