Alty

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Alty

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Altrincham were down and out two or three years ago, relegated to the NPL. Yet now they are going strong in the playoff places in NL. What has happened? A big injection of cash or just better management?
We’ve been very comparable with Alty for the last twenty-five years or so, sometimes better than them, sometimes worse. So what can we learn from their current success?
And please don’t tell me getting relegated to NPL is something we ought to copy.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Re: Alty

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

They seem to keep players for ages - they must have had loads of lads who have reached 200-odd games for Alty in the last few years (Densmore, Moult, Richman, Hancock - it felt weird on our recent visits going there and not seeing Stuart Coburn). We have spent those years sacking the manager every three months and making do on whatever we could scrape together, and then when we had a few quid signing a load of shysters who turned out to be wastes of space (quite a large space in Lee Croft's case) because the people in charge didn't know what they were doing.

Consistency and being attractive to players I suppose - they are probably slightly better off geographically than us but then Barrow are in the Football League. I've long held the belief that there is some sort of curse on Haig Avenue anyway, but it hasn't always been a very supportive environment for our players. That feels like it's changing now.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
brianrooney26
----------
----------

Post by brianrooney26 »

I believe that the budget has increased this year and that we have strengthened our board - our chairman is actually a real Alty fan, which is pretty helpful.

However, the explanation for our relative success is a pretty simple one. We have the best manager in non league football. A core of players trust him and he trusts them in turn. They love his approach to football, which is an absolute joy to behold. His links with Crewe and their academy have proved particularly useful over the years too.

If you listen to any of his interviews, you can't help but be impressed by the bloke. I'm amazed he is still with us to be honest, especially when you consider some of the serial underachievers in our league.

I'm sorry if that all sounds a bit gushing but any Alty fan would tell you exactly the same thing. It's that simple, a manager with a proper footballing philosophy.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Good Manager and progressive continuity as a club.
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

(quite a large space in Lee Croft's case).....Space is limited-Einstein.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Well who would have thought we would draw them in the cup after the above talk.... Home makes a change though (yes i know about the replay but we will win a very tight game).