Southport 3-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Re: Southport 3-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Post by TrickyDicky »

Great win against a spiteful little team who were outfought and fortunately got nothing for their continual bitching and moaning and gamesmanship . Excellent fitness levels from the Port , shame we didn’t put them to the sword with missed sitters late on .
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:56 pm Watson out. This crazy manager has cost us another league game cancelled for this Cup nonsense. This wouldn't happen under CC. Waste of space etc etc etc

Oh sorry we won, I'll just not comment then.
Good lad.
But..... As you pointed out, it means we will miss a league game, so progress up the league will be slower, meaning we will be near the bittom for slightly longer, so there will still be cause to moan.....for a while. Have a good eve.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

Great night, great game, great win. Only disappointment was the spoiling tactics that some of the Spennymoor players used, I thought they were better than that.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Fantastic win and let’s hope this now kicks starts the season!
David999
----------
----------

Post by David999 »

So proud to back a team who battled for every ball - they did not bow to the spoiling tactics of the opposition - every player showed pride in wearing the shirt / a great nights entertainment - well done Liam and the boys !!!
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

League will always be priority but this seasons Fa Cup has taken on extra importance as the money earned will be vital for the clubs status
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Brilliant night.
We can be naive sometimes but they're such a young bunch and learning together all the time.
Such a tight knit group too you can tell.
We look really fit too for the 90 minutes.
You can't beat Tuesday night floodlit FA Cup magic can you. 🍾🏆💛🖤
Route66
----------
----------

Post by Route66 »

Good win. We were panicking near the end. We needed an experienced head to calm things down and keep possession which shouldn't have been a problem against 10 men who were playing into a very strong wind. We continually booted away possession drawing pressure on to ourselves. Perhaps a bit of e tra cash will enable us to bring a 'wise' head in? Anyway well done to all for getting us over the line which, in the end, is all that matters! The FA Cup dream lives on!!!
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

Fair play to the young lads behind the goal again. Club should be proud of support like that. Cup tie winning is the be all and end all but for those getting a bit ott let's not kid ourselves here, the red completely changed the game. Southport played hoof ball in to a gale and Spennymoor played on the deck at a quicker tempo. They were well on top first half. Rightly celebrate the win but don't kid yourselves that there isn't a relegation fight ahead.
MrC
----------
----------

Post by MrC »

Good end to end game with a great result, but why does Carver miss a pen again before he puts the matter right and scores! Still too much hoof football for me, and badly need an experienced midfield playmaker. Let’s hope the Cup money goes towards such an addition. Perhaps Morgan on loan!
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Great win,yes we sometimes lack knowhow,and the opposition sometimes are technically better players, but this team is young, fit,and fearless, and scared of no-one, up the port!!
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Great game and great result in terrible conditions.
A game that had everything-a missed penalty, a sending off and a gutsy second half fightback which I don't think would have happened-not that long ago?
How many times have SFC played against 10 men for large periods of a game and lost over the years-loads ?
We didn't tonight,and that tells me that we have a group of players who care about the shirt they are playing in-and that matters so much.

I don't care that Spennymoor had a man sent off.

If some people on here want perfection -then go and watch the beloved Premier League.

I'm happy seeing a young team growing as a group and learning all the time. 4 games now against 2 of the toughest (in all sense of the word) teams you will meet-and they came through it.
The Alty game will take care of itself-either way I'm not bothered.
The main thing for me is building something,and these are "growing up games" as far as i'm concerned.
They will make mistakes-it will happen but they deserve support and I think most honest minded supporters will see that.
NB Spennymoor's behaviour throughout was a disgrace,particularly at the end of the match when they couldn't accept the defeat with Cameron Mason deliberatly having his already swollen foot stood on and was then punched.
Poor poor poor-but who cares about Spennymoor..
Well done Port..
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

In Adam Hanson we have a gem, his leadership tonight held those around him together and marshalled them throughout the 90 minutes, he was my Man of the Match. This young side is developing into a team we can all be proud of, yes they make mistakes but they more than make up for it by doing what a Southport team has not done for ages, fight to the bitter end with enthusiasm and effort. Alty will be another good experience for these lads and an opportunity to match their skills against a higher ranked side who are doing well in the division above. Much needed revenue from the FA cup is always welcome to a club like ours win or lose you never know "Up the Port".
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Another entertaining game, five goals, sending off, missed penalty... the conditions dictated the match, a howling wind means it's no surprise the team attacking the Blowick End won their respective halves.

I was pleased with how we capitalised on the sending off, too often opposition teams lose a man and it doesn't make a jot of difference. Our direct style means it's rare that the extra man really shows, but we made it show tonight. We came out in the second half and moved the wing backs into midfield, Hmami stepped forward behind the front two and the attacking 3-4-1-2 meant we bullied them. A further switch to a traditional four when the wingers came on meant we always looked likely to add a fourth. Bar a mad last ten minutes when inexperience showed and it was a bit panicked, I was impressed with how we managed the conditions and the extra man.

We finally got our rewards from set pieces, every manager this season says we "look a threat" from balls into the box, but our goal return from throws and corners this season has actually been very poor, hopefully that changed tonight, we looked lethal.

Also a note on our fitness levels, some of our lads looked like they could play another ninety at the end.

Good atmosphere again, there's a positive feel around at the moment and the bond between the players and the fans is first class.
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Jonny Smith wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:57 pm Chester beaten 4 nil at home to Marske 😳

The Chester forum tonight has gone into meltdown it’s an hilarious read
Just because Marske were reduced to 10 men doesn't make them a pushover.
Just because one fan was yearning for the glory days of Simon Grand at King's Lynn
Just because : Another abject performance. Kettering, York & Southport up next. All away. Be lucky if we even get a point out of them 3
You just can't beat Deva Chat
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

You couldn't take eye off pitch tonight, always something going on even if some of it was childish behaviour of Spennymore players. Well done lads great fighting spirit. Was worried at half time but this team don't give in. Also well done fans for getting behind team.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

portexileinbath wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:18 pm As you pointed out, it means we will miss a league game, so progress up the league will be slower, meaning we will be near the bittom for slightly longer, so there will still be cause to moan.....for a while. Have a good eve.
:D :D :D :D

Every silver lining has a cloud, which keeps some posters happy.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

The great thing about this seasons Port is the spirit and togetherness. No matter the result there’s not been a match I’ve seen where you can say they didn’t give it everything. Yeah, there’s times I despair at whacking it up the field when there’s a free man in space but when we win & show the spirit we’ve got it’d be incredibly churlish not to praise the players. Direct football isn’t pretty but when it’s effective and wins matches even I can’t complain!
Football at this level isn’t only about money and we’re making up for any lack of it with spirit and camaraderie. We’ve got things some clubs haven’t, Chester being a good example last night (even if forums don’t always give a true picture, I still enjoyed a chuckle at their plight!). We have a good relationship between fans and players, young fans interested & travelling, great staff, a talented, young squad & a manager who cares deeply about the club.
Yes, there’s times I criticise him when our style is ineffective but that’s football. People have different opinions. The alternative to relentless criticism is relentless optimism and that’s just as odd! The reality of any clubs situation is somewhere in the middle. The way social media & forums are these days, middle of the road, sober, realistic analysis of your clubs position with an appreciation of where you’re at can get lost and is often less interesting than the ranters or the cheerleaders!
Anyway. the FA Cup has been a welcome distraction from the League and we’ve done really well to reach the Fourth Qualifying with away draws against teams in the top 10 of our League - i’d love to progress against Alty but irrespective the Cup has helped us find some form and win some matches so let’s hope that continues in the League. One things for sure with this squad - they won’t lack effort and togetherness
Last edited by SteH90 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

haigavel wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:52 am
Jonny Smith wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:57 pm Chester beaten 4 nil at home to Marske 😳

The Chester forum tonight has gone into meltdown it’s an hilarious read
Just because Marske were reduced to 10 men doesn't make them a pushover.
Just because one fan was yearning for the glory days of Simon Grand at King's Lynn
Just because : Another abject performance. Kettering, York & Southport up next. All away. Be lucky if we even get a point out of them 3
You just can't beat Deva Chat
We superbly beat Spennymoor in a cup replay and people seem more obsessed with Chester losing to Marske. Why do you care?
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Hi BigMac1985 - i know you were referring to another poster but personally, I used Devachat to illustrate how forums don’t reflect reality - the situation both at Haig Avenue & Chester isn’t necessarily reflected accurately on forums.
Too often on here, posts are either outright criticism because we’ve lost or people goading those critics when we win rather than talking about the great efforts of the players!
It should be pointed out that all opinions are valid and we can disagree without falling out and those with a different opinion being open to mockery. It’s a long time ago but that used to happen before social media!