FT York City 3-1 Southport - Match thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Re: FT York City 3-1 Southport - Match thread

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

We weren’t too bad, we just weren’t good enough again.
I thought the ground was OK, part of a leisure complex in a retail park, but good view and they must feel that they are progressing. Unlike us.
Scotch Egg
----------
----------

Post by Scotch Egg »

I can certainly forgive defeat away to York who are bigger club with a better squad than us. It would be nice to get some wins under the belt soon though. It's October and still not a single one in the league. Like others, I'm not convinced we're really a bottom-of-the-table side but that's where we are right now. I'm sure we will pick up points, but it's hard to see us making the playoffs. We used to be competitive in this division, we rarely had the biggest budget, but we'd compete. We wouldn't look at a run of fixtures like the one we've had so far and say "oh well, it's too hard". What happened to us to make us also-rans in the NNL?
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Would of liked a point today but hey ho.
I'm not worried, yes we are bottom but we are by no means adrift. Only 7 matches into season, early days.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

No hard luck stories today, for the first time this season we were well beaten and the scoreline was an accurate reflection of the game.

We started slowly but weathered the storm and grew into it. When you have got a foothold in the game it is frustrating to concede a crap goal from a short corner, we weren't switched on and they made us pay. Port levelled a few minutes later, Hmami converting a penalty after goal scorer Brown pulled a shirt in the area.

We then had our best spell, the final ten minutes of the half we looked better and had two golden chances. First of all Hmami had a sitter with the goalkeeper scrambling on the floor, he tried to break the net and miscued. Then the keeper made a good save from a Doyle header.

Second half was atrocious. York dominated the game and we never got going after the restart. We conceded a second goal from a corner and never looked like getting back into it, a third was added and it reflected York's dominance.

First time this season we were outmuscled and outfought. The midfield three had their pants pulled down, York were stronger, fitter and won every second ball. Carver was subdued, J Doyle turned in a sickener and Archer looked our best player but was hooked.

We went 5-3-2 again which you can't knock as we have had some results with it. The problem is it means our best players are excluded from the side. The strength in this squad is pace down the sides, Woods looked a world beater not long ago but his position is now obsolete. IBR and Watson will cause teams problems but the same applies. It's a difficult one. We concede too many goals playing the 4-2-3-1, but the recent change in tactics mean our most creative players are forced out the team. Easy said in hindsight, but York had our number today and we looked predictable. Another unchanged eleven was probably a mistake, on fitness alone those players must be feeling it.

Disappointing afternoon and I am struggling to see any positives from this, weak at the back, bullied in midfield and not much threat, the silver lining is that's the first dirge showing we have thrown in all season and it's another of the big boys out the way.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

On the 5–3-2 - having 5 at the back means we’re outnumbered in both the midfield and forward lines (2/3rds of the pitch). In the area where we outnumbered the opponent we didn’t attack the ball so York had easy, unchallenged crosses and easy, unchallenged headers. We need to step up to opponents & make sure every pass & header is challenged. A lot of this may be due to part time v full time and playing Sat/Tues but we could stop a lot of trouble at source by stepping up to people. I also feel we need to start halves better - we seem to come strong late in second halves but by then it’s a rescue mission as we’ve conceded in the 45-70 minute period.
It’s difficult to single players out but Jack Doyle (who I’m usually a big fan of) had a poor game today. York picked up on this & attacked our left side with balls over his head and then he struggled to get back.
john riley
----------
----------

Post by john riley »

Another defeat and again we played another bigger better team E.T.C. according to the league table every team is better than us. After a few days of talk about new assistant manager it only appears on club web site this evening, so much for been open and transparent club.
Now are we any better off ? Answer No
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

pault wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:18 pm
Ste_B wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:10 pm Brace yourself. They’re coming…
Yes,I'm strapping myself in for badger's response...
I am moving to Trowbridge.
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

5 Positives:
1. We have just played Spennymoor twice in the same week. Can understand us being tired with the same starting 11 as the previous two games.
2. York will end up in atleast the playoffs. We won’t.
3. There is more games to get points and we have a cup tie next week.
4. Isaac Buckley-Ricketts looked sharp when he came on.
5. The Away bus (Ik im biased but it was a great laugh with a great bunch of people)

5 Negatives:
1. Folded second half. Felt such a disappointing result after the first half, but York deserved it.
2. The ref bottling a red card for York for our penalty. He was the last man.
3. York’s ground is a vast corporate shithole. Has no identity, could slap any clubs logo on that ground.
4. Having to go for a pint in a bowling alley because York forgot to build a bar or a pub near their “community” stadium.
5. Paying £5 for a watered down dark fruits inside the ground.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

SteH90 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:41 pm On the 5–3-2 - having 5 at the back means we’re outnumbered in both the midfield and forward lines (2/3rds of the pitch). In the area where we outnumbered the opponent we didn’t attack the ball so York had easy, unchallenged crosses and easy, unchallenged headers. We need to step up to opponents & make sure every pass & header is challenged. A lot of this may be due to part time v full time and playing Sat/Tues but we could stop a lot of trouble at source by stepping up to people. I also feel we need to start halves better - we seem to come strong late in second halves but by then it’s a rescue mission as we’ve conceded in the 45-70 minute period.
It’s difficult to single players out but Jack Doyle (who I’m usually a big fan of) had a poor game today. York picked up on this & attacked our left side with balls over his head and then he struggled to get back.
I do think the back five highlights some doubt in Liam's mind about the capabilities of his defenders. We do not play that way for added attacking impetus, for starters, Charlie Oliver (defended well recently) doesn't have an attacking bone in his body and offers nothing coming forwards, and Jack Doyle is slightly more offensive but as Liam himself has said, is better in a four.

The reason we play a five is simply because we are not secure enough with a four. We looked so exciting playing with a 4-2-3-1 earlier this campaign, but the fact is we were conceding 2s and 3s every game.

In an ideal world, we would have four defenders and two holding midfielders who are tough enough, solid enough and experienced enough to keep it tight, that way we could play four attackers and not leak goals. Best of both worlds.

We aren't there at the moment, but that should be the target. How do we get the back four and defensive midfielders to a level where they can be depended on to keep clean sheets. If we achieve that, we can unleash Watson, Woods, IBR, Hmami without paying for it at the other end.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Sounds like a depressing day for you Port Dan, the poor run of results continue in the league the long awaited games v the lesser lights approaches & surely there will be no excuses if results don't improve markedly. Brilliant Cup Form but that will be forgotten unless matters improve. The posters who went to the game point out our shortcomings yet, the Coaches cant see it, strange.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

A very good first half and by some distance our worst performance of the season in the second. Lots of games recently, but I cannot fathom taking off both forwards when we were losing. I can only echo what Swedes said about the first goal, just a dreadful lack of concentration. Set-pieces really cost us today, which is a shame because we could have taken something from a fairly ordinary York side.

We just will not attack the ball - we seem to want to react all the time, which I suppose is natural with a young side - as much as there is a lot to like about this team, there is a bloody great big hole in the middle of it at the moment.

On a side note... what on Earth have York done to themselves? Is there a single person alive that thinks that God-awful, soulless chod-bin is better than Bootham Crescent in any way? They'll miss the old girl - you slightly feel it will never quite be the same again.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Today was the first game this season that I haven't been to, but it sounds like it just about summed up where we are as a club, and even with my own sometimes childish optimism (granted, I am technically still a child until next year so I suppose it's somewhat forgivable) we just aren't good enough right now to be putting ourselves in the same conversation as the York Cities and AFC Fyldes of the world. We play exciting, some would say scintillating football at times though those times are more often than not with a back 4, which more often than not results in more goals conceded than we would like.

In Carver we have a decent all round striker, although his goalscoring record come the end of the season will not read as pleasantly as it does now. Not to get into individuals too much, but in Cam Mason we have a gem, a "diamond in the rough" type character who Liam Watson has built his career around making such a player reach their full potential. IBR is the most talented player at this level of football. Period. A player with a CV like his should not be playing Conference North football, let alone starting on the bench every week. I trust Liam to reignite his career, but given he was once the most talented youngster in a Manchester City youth team containing the likes of Lukas Nmecha, you'd have hoped for his sake his career trajectory would be easier reading than it currently is. He shows moments of brilliance akin to top flight players, and shows tantalizing glimpses of the talent which won him so many England Youth caps, yet his seeming unfitness, and slow acclimatisation to this division means we are unlikely to see him at his best until next season at the earliest.

In those 2, or 3 if you count Carver, we have very good reason to be optimistic, albeit not right now. This season, unless Mr McPhillips is a miracle worker, will result in us probably about 12th in the table. Nowhere near where we are now but also a good 15 points at least off the playoffs. I think we'll win Saturday by an odd goal, setting up a first round tie against lower league opposition and hopefully progress to get that dream tie against one of the "big boys" in the 3rd round to earn some much needed money.

I love this club, and having seen it in better times it hurt today to come to the realisation that we aren't where I wished we are, both on and indeed off the pitch (by this I mean our lack of an academy, and a general lack of money in the coffers. Everything else is run excellently in my opinion.) At some point, our ebb will naturally form a flow again and we will see the heady heights of Conference Premier football in the next 10 years, and in that I feel almost unequivocally sure, but right now we ought to sit tight, enjoy the players while we have them and hope for new horizons sooner rather than later.

We have a great set of fans, especially the group which stand and sing for our team every Saturday, of which I am proud to be a part, and the relationship between us and the players is something to behold, and for the first time this season I really feel like there is a bond between everyone and that is something no other team we've played this season has. We have a fantastic set of staff and volunteers, all of which really care about our football club and have given their unwavering support for so long now, and their impact and obvious adoration for the club is an inspiration. Having read Deva Chat after their meltdown re: the 4-0 loss at home to Marske, volunteers at this level are hard to come by, let alone loyal ones who don the uniforms season after season.

My experience of life is far less than most on here, and therefore my opinion is based on less "market research" as it were but I've been attending games as a season ticket holder for 12 years now, and after the post-Clapham turmoil and having seen so many clubs, like the one we faced today, fall off cliffs so high they may never scale them again, I think the best thing to describe us right now would be the old adage, and a favourite of Mr Watson's, "we are where we are" and might I add, "but things can only get better from here"
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:47 pm Sounds like a depressing day for you Port Dan, the poor run of results continue in the league the long awaited games v the lesser lights approaches & surely there will be no excuses if results don't improve markedly. Brilliant Cup Form but that will be forgotten unless matters improve. The posters who went to the game point out our shortcomings yet, the Coaches cant see it, strange.
Nah I actually had a good day apart from the result it’s just my inner miserableness coming out there :lol: . Away days are always a good laugh with the right people, no matter what the result.

In regards to the coaches. We are confident and determined to run a coach to every game this season. Obvs some are going to be more challenging than others, blyth 10 days before Christmas and Darlington on a Tuesday night. I do think the coach has nearly enough of a core following to run every bus. I mean even though the details for Kettering have been out for barely a day. Over 10 people have booked on. Plus we have an opportunity to market again next Saturday against Alty, I think we will be fine. Could really do with a win in the league though. The more wins you have the more people who get on the bus.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Nice to read david1276's thoughts, refreshing to get a younger perspective on the club.
Shame we caught York just as they start getting themselves together after a faltering, injury hit start.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

Well put David and Mark two of the best posts I have read on here for a while.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Agree with your thoughts on the 5-3-2 Port On The Kent - devising a system to suit what you’ve got and taking form (good or bad) into account is the eternal dilemma for managers. When things are going right it all falls into place but when things aren’t everything seems difficult.
Kempster911
----------
----------

Re: York City 3-1 Southport - Match thread

Post by Kempster911 »

Southportpete wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:55 pm HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM take it promotions out of the question now 😭😭
It was never in.
Kempster911
----------
----------

Post by Kempster911 »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:46 pm Would of liked a point today but hey ho.
I'm not worried, yes we are bottom but we are by no means adrift. Only 7 matches into season, early days.
Taxi for Watson, a big yellow one.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

It's a disappointing result because success in football is all about confidence and gaining momentum from that.We certainly had that after those four tough FA Cup ties but maybe,as people who were actually at the game yesterday have said-that the full time v part time jut became too much.Again,as others have said we have to find a way of getting our better attacking options involved over the ninety minutes of a game.Archer and Carver I think are forming a good partnership.The dream would be to get either of Connor Woods (obviously a fit one) Niall Watson or Isaac Buckley Rickett's as width with them.That then would obviously be a 4.3.3 and maybe that defensive gamble mentioned?

I'm exited about the appointment of Terry McPhillips (from tomorrow) and all the experience that he brings to Southport FC. Given time he'll give another input and obviously ideas into what he can get out of this squad of players- and will also have excellent connections within the game, as Liam does.
It's a cracking group of players (not enough but that's another discussion) we have and for me this season (post Covid) will be judged over the whole 42 games-and not 7 or 10 or 15 or even 21.
Lets welcome Terry McPhillips as a positive in moving our club forward to better days ahead.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Agreed YF.