FT York City 3-1 Southport - Match thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Re: FT York City 3-1 Southport - Match thread

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Kempster911 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:59 pm
YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:46 pm Would of liked a point today but hey ho.
I'm not worried, yes we are bottom but we are by no means adrift. Only 7 matches into season, early days.
Taxi for Watson, a big yellow one.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
I'm not for hire for that job. I can only pick him up to move us up to the playoffs Kempster!😉😜
Good post YellowFever I agree, far too early to be doom and gloom 👍
Gilbert69
----------
----------

Post by Gilbert69 »

Sorry but we are in trouble we have a paper thin squad and this shows in our league position . Unless we bring players in over the next couple of weeks I can see us failing further adrift
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

Gilbert69 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:29 pm Sorry but we are in trouble we have a paper thin squad and this shows in our league position . Unless we bring players in over the next couple of weeks I can see us failing further adrift
Don't talk sense around here, frowned upon. It's patently obvious to anyone who has actually ever watched football. The same lads have done their best since August but some are inexperienced, some aren't quite good enough and yet have to play regularly. A couple of new faces to freshen it up and and add some semblance of depth should have happened by now. I repeat I would be surprised if we are relegated on what I have seen but if personnel and tactics aren't looked at I would snatch your hand off for 20th.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Doom and gloom, worried, concerned, pessimistic versus optimism, delusion or wishful thinking when you cut through it all everyone is pretty much saying the same thing in round about ways.

Everyone wants the club to do well but knows the squad lacks depth and numbers. The reasons why we can only speculate on as publicly the picture isn’t consistent but can only assume financial as which Manager wouldn’t want more players at his disposal and some experience about the place?

Terry Mac is going to get 2 nights a week and whilst I’ve no doubt will be a positive influence on the coaching front and dressing room it won’t happen overnight and we will fast reach the point whereby we have to start picking up wins in the league, even for the most optimistic amongst us.

The Cup is a good revenue generator but only in real terms if we get to the 3rd round and pick up a plum draw as the knock impact on league is so counter productive in our position.

This weekends scheduled league fixture presented our best opportunity to get a much needed first win under our belt this season.

I get the experience of Liam being the calming voice of reason and backing the young lads and “as he says” he “believes in what the club are doing” he would though wouldn’t he I can here some say.

For me it’s all a little too comfortable for him and not saying he should feel the pressure of the axe hovering over his head (it is too early for that)but equally “it is what it is” but there should be more of this is what we need coming from him and it’s the oldest way that managers try and influence the board and from that the supporter base get an understanding of where the manager thinks we are at. Current dynamic doesn’t allow for that and so I simply don’t know (sure some on here may be able to correct me) and can’t for a second believe that Liam is as happy as the public persona would have you believe?

I hope league results and points do come and between Liam, Terry and the board they can resource what is so obviously required.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Any Port In A Storm wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:27 am
Gilbert69 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:29 pm Sorry but we are in trouble we have a paper thin squad and this shows in our league position . Unless we bring players in over the next couple of weeks I can see us failing further adrift
Don't talk sense around here, frowned upon. It's patently obvious to anyone who has actually ever watched football. The same lads have done their best since August but some are inexperienced, some aren't quite good enough and yet have to play regularly. A couple of new faces to freshen it up and and add some semblance of depth should have happened by now. I repeat I would be surprised if we are relegated on what I have seen but if personnel and tactics aren't looked at I would snatch your hand off for 20th.
Is this what you call "hedging your bets" APIAS?
Agreeing in one sentence that you think the team is in desperate trouble-and then going on to say in the next that you don't think that SFC will go down?
Make your're mind up.
We've just appointed from THIS MORNING Terry McPhillips who along side Liam Watson will surely look at "personell and tactics" ?
What do you expect to happen? There isn't a magic money tree for new players-how many times do people have to be reminded of that?
It's called living in the real World and not some near extension of the greedy, take money from any where you can Premier League bubble.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:54 pm No hard luck stories today, for the first time this season we were well beaten and the scoreline was an accurate reflection of the game.

We started slowly but weathered the storm and grew into it. When you have got a foothold in the game it is frustrating to concede a crap goal from a short corner, we weren't switched on and they made us pay. Port levelled a few minutes later, Hmami converting a penalty after goal scorer Brown pulled a shirt in the area.

We then had our best spell, the final ten minutes of the half we looked better and had two golden chances. First of all Hmami had a sitter with the goalkeeper scrambling on the floor, he tried to break the net and miscued. Then the keeper made a good save from a Doyle header.

Second half was atrocious. York dominated the game and we never got going after the restart. We conceded a second goal from a corner and never looked like getting back into it, a third was added and it reflected York's dominance.

First time this season we were outmuscled and outfought. The midfield three had their pants pulled down, York were stronger, fitter and won every second ball. Carver was subdued, J Doyle turned in a sickener and Archer looked our best player but was hooked.

We went 5-3-2 again which you can't knock as we have had some results with it. The problem is it means our best players are excluded from the side. The strength in this squad is pace down the sides, Woods looked a world beater not long ago but his position is now obsolete. IBR and Watson will cause teams problems but the same applies. It's a difficult one. We concede too many goals playing the 4-2-3-1, but the recent change in tactics mean our most creative players are forced out the team. Easy said in hindsight, but York had our number today and we looked predictable. Another unchanged eleven was probably a mistake, on fitness alone those players must be feeling it.

Disappointing afternoon and I am struggling to see any positives from this, weak at the back, bullied in midfield and not much threat, the silver lining is that's the first dirge showing we have thrown in all season and it's another of the big boys out the way.
Lost for words :o

Port on the Kent Just about puts us In the Picture ! So when the going gets tough the tough get going . Predictable Is what we are with such a small squad.
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

yellowfever wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:12 am
Any Port In A Storm wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:27 am
Agreeing in one sentence that you think the team is in desperate trouble-and then going on to say in the next that you don't think that SFC will go down?
Make your're mind up.
We've just appointed from THIS MORNING Terry McPhillips who along side Liam Watson will surely look at "personell and tactics" ?
What do you expect to happen? There isn't a magic money tree for new players-how many times do people have to be reminded of that?
It's called living in the real World and not some near extension of the greedy, take money from any where you can Premier League bubble.
Not hedging my bets at all? But I'm not deluded, more than one poster on here were still genuinely talking about the play offs before Saturday. We are in desperate trouble, bottom, no wins, apparently no money, but I am a match goer and I have seen enough to hope we may get out of the bottom two but the current squad does need some help and if that isn't possible then inevitable injuries and suspensions mean we will barely be able to put 11 on the pitch, let alone a full subs bench by Christmas.
Hat Trick Patrick
----------
----------

Post by Hat Trick Patrick »

yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Deluded-not me? i can read a league table like the next supporter. We ALL know we have to improve the league form.

What gets my goat are supporters who continually moan-even when there IS good news.Hardly a passing comment on the fantastic new "Fanzone" - available for supporters on matchday, after great work by Jon O'Byrne and TIY? Hardly a comment on the excellent appointment of a new Assistant Manager in Terry McPhillips? The "non comments" from certain supporters after our four excellent FA Cup performances home and away against Chorley and Spennymoor?

They it appears,only comment-and it seems take glory in defeat and controversy.

For this football club EVER to become a success again-that mentality HAS to change

As I've said previously-Portchat isn't the majority voice within SFC (thank goodness) and I console my self with that knowledge.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Any Port In A Storm wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:57 am
Any Port In A Storm wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:27 am Don't talk sense around here, frowned upon. It's patently obvious to anyone who has actually ever watched football. The same lads have done their best since August but some are inexperienced, some aren't quite good enough and yet have to play regularly. A couple of new faces to freshen it up and and add some semblance of depth should have happened by now. I repeat I would be surprised if we are relegated on what I have seen but if personnel and tactics aren't looked at I would snatch your hand off for 20th.
Make your're mind up.
Not hedging my bets at all? But I'm not deluded, more than one poster on here were still genuinely talking about the play offs before Saturday. We are in desperate trouble, bottom, no wins, apparently no money, but I am a match goer and I have seen enough to hope we may get out of the bottom two but the current squad does need some help and if that isn't possible then inevitable injuries and suspensions mean we will barely be able to put 11 on the pitch, let alone a full subs bench by Christmas.
Oh dear, that would be me talking about the playoffs, guilty as charged! 🙄
I'd rather be called deluded than be a doom and gloomer that's for sure. After some of the dross we've had to watch over recent seasons, no goals and our strikers struggling, it's a breath of fresh air to see our young attacking squad play some good stuff. The results will come, and yes I'd like to see a few more numbers in the squad but "it is what it is!" No magic money tree has appeared yet. 💛🖤
Kempster911
----------
----------

Post by Kempster911 »

yellowfever wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:34 pm Deluded-not me? i can read a league table like the next supporter. We ALL know we have to improve the league form.

What gets my goat are supporters who continually moan-even when there IS good news.Hardly a passing comment on the fantastic new "Fanzone" - available for supporters on matchday, after great work by Jon O'Byrne and TIY? Hardly a comment on the excellent appointment of a new Assistant Manager in Terry McPhillips? The "non comments" from certain supporters after our four excellent FA Cup performances home and away against Chorley and Spennymoor?

They it appears,only comment-and it seems take glory in defeat and controversy.

For this football club EVER to become a success again-that mentality HAS to change

As I've said previously-Portchat isn't the majority voice within SFC (thank goodness) and I console my self with that knowledge.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Ditto, sorry, but if we start buying players in haste now, it is a rapid slippery slope into administration, or ending up with players who are not good enough (again).
I honestly belive that we already have the bare bones of a very good squad, but totally agree that we need at least a couple of good signings. How we go about it is the issue.
Much more logical to see if we can progress further in the cup (yes I appreciate how tough Alty will be but we DO have a chance), but each game brings in £££, each game increases the chance of TV coverage and more £££.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:40 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:59 pm
YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:46 pm Would of liked a point today but hey ho.
I'm not worried, yes we are bottom but we are by no means adrift. Only 7 matches into season, early days.
Taxi for Watson, a big yellow one.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
I'm not for hire for that job. I can only pick him up to move us up to the playoffs Kempster!😉😜
Good post YellowFever I agree, far too early to be doom and gloom 👍
This is why I have never driven a car (even though I have worked widely in Europe and globally as far as S Korea). A lot of wisdom is spoken by taxi drivers.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:33 pm
Any Port In A Storm wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:57 am

Make your're mind up.
Oh dear, that would be me talking about the playoffs, guilty as charged! 🙄
I'd rather be called deluded than be a doom and gloomer that's for sure. After some of the dross we've had to watch over recent seasons, no goals and our strikers struggling, it's a breath of fresh air to see our young attacking squad play some good stuff. The results will come, and yes I'd like to see a few more numbers in the squad but "it is what it is!" No magic money tree has appeared yet. 💛🖤
I too am guilty as charged and I am happy to re state my belief that we will be in or around the play offs, by the end of the season. The football we are playing is much better than for many a year, the nucleus if the squad is better..... I could go on but time will tell !
Dewsnip
----------
----------

Post by Dewsnip »

‘Play Offs’ !! Sorry but deluded. Too much ground lost. There are many other decent teams in this league and we might be one at one at times to come. We will start to win games, but play offs is not on the cards.
Nat
----------
----------

Post by Nat »

I know things look a little bleak at present with the league table but there is still a 105 points more to play for so in theory anythings possible keep the faith
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Let's not worry. Wherever we end up we have a fan zone that was wanted to discuss it all in...so don't moan.
Personally I think we're suffering from inexperience but will get better as the season continues and easier run of fixtures kick in.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Dewsnip wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:45 pm ‘Play Offs’ !! Sorry but deluded. Too much ground lost. There are many other decent teams in this league and we might be one at one at times to come. We will start to win games, but play offs is not on the cards.
We're only 10 points off the playoffs with 35 matches to play!
I love being deluded! 🤣💛🖤👍
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

8 games in a month up to Nov 23 rd , whatever your stance optimistic or pessimistic we will absolutely know were we stand at the end of this little lot , hopefully for those few in number posters with epicaricacy tendencies you’ll may well be disappointed ☹️ and fingers crossed that you are!
ripple
----------
----------

Post by ripple »

TrickyDicky wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:38 pm ...epicaricacy...
Great word!