Macclesfield FC BBC i player documentary

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Macclesfield FC BBC i player documentary

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Having watched the Documentary on Macc & their struggles to rebuild in the NW Counties Premier Division, with some help from Robbie Savage & his Wealthy mates I think we could all do with a reality check how non league works, at one point they were discussing players on £3/400 per week & a wage bill close to £150000 per annum, the guy who appears to have funded the club reckons he was losing £20k a month!
They are current atop the league but at what cost if it goes pear shaped, a good watch but a bit cringeworthy at times with Robbie Savage laying into the players at ht despite him being Director of Football with Peter Band & Whittaker the proper Management Team. What the costs are at our level & above must be mind blowing, Smethurst the Owner allegedly has spent 4 million on updating the ground & facilities.......he made his money buying & selling Cars...glad for Macc its coming around.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Re: Macclesfield FC BBC i player documentary

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

That is silly money, truly silly money.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

At that level up until fairly recently unless I'm mistaken players were mostly on non-contract terms and some even amateur contracts- £400 a week in the North West Counties sounds ridiculous especially when you think that's probably more than we pay most of our players- 3 levels above. That's like a League 2 team paying on average £30k per player per week 😂. I go watching Burscough if we don't have a game and all I'm going to say is- whoever's idea it is to pay players of that standard upwards of £100 per week has the wrong idea of how to run a non-league football club.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Some players in the Welsh Prem are getting paid four figures a week.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

There's no way Macclesfield's wages will be anything like the norm for that division. They're trying to buy their way back up the leagues.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

David_1276 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:45 am At that level up until fairly recently unless I'm mistaken players were mostly on non-contract terms and some even amateur contracts- £400 a week in the North West Counties sounds ridiculous especially when you think that's probably more than we pay most of our players- 3 levels above.
I'd imagine we're paying more than that. We were over a decade ago, I doubt wages have gone backwards in that time.

I'd be surprised if players are on much less than £25-30k a year at our level.
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:03 am Some players in the Welsh Prem are getting paid four figures a week.
European football money is a nice amount.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Sam wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:27 pm
David_1276 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:45 am At that level up until fairly recently unless I'm mistaken players were mostly on non-contract terms and some even amateur contracts- £400 a week in the North West Counties sounds ridiculous especially when you think that's probably more than we pay most of our players- 3 levels above.
I'd imagine we're paying more than that. We were over a decade ago, I doubt wages have gone backwards in that time.

I'd be surprised if players are on much less than £25-30k a year at our level.
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:03 am Some players in the Welsh Prem are getting paid four figures a week.
European football money is a nice amount.
Hi Sam - well yes, that's the carrot. But it certainly isn't a given when one team tends to win it every year (last season aside). I watched Haverfordwest v Barry the other night, a 1-1...no way the quality is better than our division. I'd say it's a little worse actually. However, they have the potential reward of Champions League football, which should be a big enough carrot to play in the Welsh Prem anyway. The money is outrageous really. I can understand TNS paying the money (in a way) because they have aspirations to improve on their European performance each year. They'll only do that by attracting better paid players. Saying that, Correia came off Aberystwyth's bench the other day to help them to a 1-0 win over TNS. As someone has said, big money may not get you anywhere unless you fancy a winding up order.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I believe Macclesfield are paying more for some of their players than we are for some of ours.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Macclesfield are getting crowds of 3,000 this season so can probably afford it.

The irony is if those people were turning up when they were in L2 instead of the usual 1,300 they may not have gone bust.

It seems like a pattern, the likes of Hereford and Chester were getting huge gates when they were battering village sides in the depths of the divisions, now they are at a better standard crowds have dipped below what they were before they reformed.
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

The other day I was told a right old story about the present Macclesfield, I certainly won't be going public on it, I like owning my house. I will just say that I understand Macclesfield Town Ladies are not very happy with them.

Time will tell on what is going on at the Moss Rose. .
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

It’s speculated they are paying Neil Danns, £1,200 a week.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Port on the Kent wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:16 pm It seems like a pattern, the likes of Hereford and Chester were getting huge gates when they were battering village sides in the depths of the divisions, now they are at a better standard crowds have dipped below what they were before they reformed.
I might be imagining it, but i'm sure there was one club (Carlisle?) that got more through their gates in the Conference than they did in the few years preceding their relegation from the football league due to them winning far more home games than before.

And then when they got promoted it went even higher?
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Could be Doncaster.??
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Lincoln’s crowds absolutely rocketed during the Cowley years. From 2500 one year to an average of 5000+ the year they won the league and now get around 9000.

I’d be interested to see some research into the impact commercial/community work has on attendances, versus winning games.
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

Ultimately, fans want to see their team win. At lower and non league level, fans don't usually know the opposition players so it doesn't really matter what level they're unknown at. Ok so the overall standard of football improves as you move up the leagues - but for many of us that's secondary to seeing our team win.

Carlisle were in a complete rut in the 2-3 seasons prior to relegation. Relegation gave them a boost, they won matches, won promotion and built from there ( although they are struggling again this season).
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I wonder if the phoenix clubs get a benefit due to people realising what they have lost? You never know what you have until you lose it etc etc
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:42 pm I wonder if the phoenix clubs get a benefit due to people realising what they have lost? You never know what you have until you lose it etc etc
Must be. Even when Macc were top of the National League, beating all comers, they didn't get gates like what they are getting in the NWCFL. Four steps lower.

The point that remains unadressed, is the effect these phoenix clubs (or newly monied clubs) have on teams in their league. Given teams like Macc are so much bigger, it renders the competition in the NWCFL pointless.

I used to watch Lancaster City in the 'old' NPL when I studied there. They were a decent team who did their best, but every year there was a Salford, Fleetwood, Chester, Darlington who forced their way through. Next few years it will be Macclesfield, Bury and South Shields (now full-time).

Must be very demoralising for the likes of Marine, Skem, Burscough... to know that you can try your best, but each season their will be an ugly phoenix/bankrolled club taking the only automatic promotion spot.

It seems to me, that traditional well run non-league sides like Marine, Workington, Bamber Bridge, Prescot... are all trammeled over each year as some ex-league entity or recently bankrolled team steams through.