Liam Edwards

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Paulisi
----------
----------

Liam Edwards

Post by Paulisi »

Good news - Liam Edwards returns on a month loan.
He was class when he played for us previously.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Re: Liam Edwards

Post by mark thomas »

yes, that's great news.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

He certainly was class when he last played for us, but he has had serious injury problems since then. Let's hope he continues his recovery.

EXCTRACT FROM MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS

Liam Edwards believes it has been a long road back to fitness at Bolton Wanderers but is 'over the moon' to be back on the pitch again after playing the first half for the club's reserves against Preston North End.

Edwards took the latest step in his recovery from a series of injuries for Wanderers by starting the game for Sam Hird's side, but was replaced at half-time of the encounter.

The defender has been out since February 2020 after suffering a knee injury in training and last played for Wanderers at the end of January of that year in League One against Bristol Rovers.

It has been a long road back to playing games against for Edwards, who opened up on his time out injured and the difficult times he has experienced.

But after getting 45 minutes under his belt, the defender hopes he can build upon that in the weeks to come.

“It’s been a long time coming ”he told the club website.

“There have been a lot of times during my rehab I didn’t think I’d be able to get back to this stage, so just to be back on the pitch I’m over the moon.

“It’s 45 minutes and I can build up from there to get a nice little block of fitness to see how the body feels and see how I react that.

“Hopefully I can build from here but it’s just nice to be back on that pitch and wearing on the shirt.

“I think that’s the hardest thing after being out for so long, coming back and not going full pelt straight away and managing yourself properly

“But that’s what I’ve learned over the last 22 months, to look after your body and know what’s right for yourself.

“I feel like I’ve learned a lot and I’m in the right frame of mind to come back properly now.”
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Thanks Superbike 👍 . Welcome back and good luck Liam hope you can relaunch your career with us .
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Best of luck, Liam. Hopefully he does well and we can extend the loan. He’ll be hungry to succeed here again.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
BackoftheNet
----------
----------

Post by BackoftheNet »

Welcome back Liam. You have joined a Port team on the up and your previous experience with us will be invaluable. Fingers crossed for your continued match fitness. Come on the Porrrt.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Good addition, he was a classy player last time round. One of those defenders who you never see making a last ditch heroic tackle, because his positional sense was always too good to allow that to happen.

Given we now shape up with three centre halves and Oliver + Bainbridge have (rightly) been moved away from that position, we have lacked cover. This also frees up Tharme to play RWB should circumstances call for it.

Makes sense.
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

Wasn’t liam deployed as defensive midfielder at some stage? Perhaps he’s been drafted in to give us cover while Jack is serving his suspension.
exile
----------
----------

Post by exile »

Good to see him back... Could definitely benefit both parties...

Good luck, Liam...
Ry88
----------
----------

Post by Ry88 »

Was solid today and seemed to be a very vocal and level headed leader at the heart of the back 3. Only lasted around 1 hour though so is clearly here to build back up his fitness
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

He lasted 77 minutes and was only replaced with others to bring in some energetic new blood -all going forwards
Ry88
----------
----------

Post by Ry88 »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:35 pm He lasted 77 minutes and was only replaced with others to bring in some energetic new blood -all going forwards
Yes so just over an hour(after some lengthy breaks in the game) and as part of a effective change of shape as he was one of the few starting to struggle as Boston began to gain a foothold in midfield.