Southport 4-1 Boston - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
george
----------
----------

Re: Southport 4-1 Boston - Match Thread

Post by george »

Yes you're right Ralphy,winning makes a huge difference, and it's far to long since we've had something to shout about, long may it continue, up the port!!
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Fantastic afternoon. I'd agree 4-1 flattered us a touch but we deserved to win, and six weeks ago we would have blobbed that once Boston scored. Thjs team is growing all the time. Superb work from Buckets to play the magnificent Carver in for his hat-trick.

Proper Charlies Munro and Oliver were both absolutely terrific today, but a brilliant team performance - saw where Boston's weaknesses were and went for them.

After nine years of more or less constant wank it is really nice to feel that the club is ours again and we are all going in the same direction. I hope the Hall of Fame event has gone as well as all the organisers deserve it to.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Absolutely excellent result, and if Boston had a few out, well so did Port in a way.

10/12 points from that run of four home games is just what you want - the players have properly delivered at Haig Ave, no messing.

Hats off to Marcus Carver, nine goals in 11 games is right up near Terry Fearns' standards, bloody brilliant.

You'd hope Marcus would want to stay here, he could have a couple of fantastic seasons at Haig Ave.

Have to mention Jordan Archer too, another goal today, four goals in the last eight games from him, he's starting to kick on as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are scouts all over this side by March.
OLD GOLD
----------
----------

Post by OLD GOLD »

Haven't been able to attend for a few weeks , Covid followed by pneumonia , thought I was watching a completely different team , so good enjoyed the game ,confidence, energy and commitment from all .. congratulations to them and the management team , hopefully we are now on the right track ...
Jack Doyle was my MOTM hardly put a foot wrong ... but the team as a whole had a great afternoon

Quick mention to the Salvation Army Trumpeter with 'The Last Post' he did a great job and the minutes silence observed by all .
issy
----------
----------

Post by issy »

What an incredible performance. The work rate was phenomenal and the substitutions worked a treat to bring on fresh legs as we tired. We seem to be scoring goals for fun. Our conversion rate of chances to goals is remarkable. Having said that, Boston for all their possession, did not get in our box very often and had few chances.
Supporters have always wanted to see us win at home, play attractive football and score goals. This is now happening, after many lean seasons and bigger crowds should materialise, if it continues.
Lets hope we keep injury and suspension free and who knows.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

This has to be the best result of the season-so far..
Taking into account the opposition you are playing-Boston were beaten heavily at Chester FC last week and I had a bit of trepidation about this game knowing that their could be a responce from them.Not a bit of it..Add into that,losing your skipper Chris Doyle and still without the suspended Jack Bainbridge made this result even more impressive.If you are beating Boston in National North-you are on the right track.
It would take to long to go through each player's performance and the attributes that they brought yesterday-they were simply outstanding from one to eleven not forgetting the substitute forward line brought on late Buckley Ricketts, Woods and Watson who must have made Boston cringe late in the game with their pace attacking a tiring defence.
Pundits talk about-it's not only what you do when you have possession (and that can always be improved-and is doing) but OUT of possession as well and our work rate to close down was fantastic and again I think can improve as the team develops.The players are beginning to buy into this method of play and adapting to situations where we can change formation and personell without losing our effectiveness.Liam Edwards-not even our player stepped into Chris Doyle's shoes and played like he'd never been out of the building-mind you he is a class act you have to say..
Forwards win you prizes though and we have a few on our hands now..Some still to come I think..Marcus Carver and Jordan Archer would both admit I'm sure that they've never been prolific scorers in their careers and thus like many players wandered around from clubs looking for a home.At both aged 28 perhaps they are now both maturing into their best years as strikers and finding that touch that they've been looking for? If so, I hope they realise that potential now with Southport FC.We can give them that platform to perform on.One word (and there are many) to describe Marcus-
clever.His movement to find space is superb,leaving defenders clueless.I'm chuffed for his Dad,Grandad and family who see him at every home game too.
After all that,it's still very early days-only 11 games gone and in the middle of November already.A long hard season still in front of SFC, a really busy period coming up but their is a look of togetherness developing amongst this squad helped by a far better match day atmosphere.Support again incredible yesterday.
I'm looking forward to Daisy Hill on Tuesday night (hope she brings her sister) and seeing possibly George Newell on his welcome and amazing return,as well as how Liam rotates his squad.If fans can't make it then pencil in Alfreton a week Tuesday 23rd for the next home league.Obviously a big away test next Saturday at Leamington before that.
Well done all..
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

OLD GOLD wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:55 pm Haven't been able to attend for a few weeks , Covid followed by pneumonia , thought I was watching a completely different team , so good enjoyed the game ,confidence, energy and commitment from all .. congratulations to them and the management team , hopefully we are now on the right track ...
Jack Doyle was my MOTM hardly put a foot wrong ... but the team as a whole had a great afternoon

Quick mention to the Salvation Army Trumpeter with 'The Last Post' he did a great job and the minutes silence observed by all .
Welcome back. Hope you’ve recovered fully.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Any Port In A Storm wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:29 pm Terrific. Well deserved against a big physical team. McPhillips looks to have made a difference on the training pitch. Hope we can hold on to Carver. Conference and League Two clubs will be sniffing around.
Great win and we also want to get out of this league ,We will not do that be selling our best players. We have been down that road to often in the past.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Slightly puzzled that our first reaction to a great win is to worry that our players will attract interest from other clubs but I suppose we are a selling club!
As others have said 4-1 put a gloss on it that Boston’s performance didn’t deserve but it was fantastic for Marcus to get the hat trick. He’s been our best player all season and to finish as quickly and incisively as yesterday was magnificent.
I think the crucial part of the match was Boston’s subs working to get them a goal back and our response being a triple substitution. It brought a different element to our game as there’s a demand for passes on the floor when Niall, Issac & Connor come on - we’d already varied our approach effectively during the game with some good passing through midfield, Munro being the main instigator in that again. Whether it’s the influence of Terry Mc I don’t know but his introduction is one of several things happening at the same time - an easier run of fixtures, many at Haig Avenue, the return of players bringing competition for places & an ability to vary our attacks, utilising quick wide players & increased support with a feel good atmosphere. It was difficult to envision these things coinciding during our poor early run but they have and that’s great.
There’s still work to do, Boston had a lot of the ball and at least 4 free headers in the box but overall it was a very good performance, players are getting fitter (Newell on the bench was a great sign) and confidence is high. Fantastic for Marcus too & let’s stop talking about interest in our players from other clubs!
Last edited by SteH90 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Nothing to add really except - Y-E-L-L-O-W-S - :-)
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Good to see us find a killer instinct and put them to the sword when it looked as if it could have been a nervy end to the game. The fact the last 2 goals were inspired by the triple substitution should allay some fears about the small squad. We don't appear to be weakened when changes are made.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

Couldn’t be there due to illness but the result plus a bottle of at home Guinness certainly made me feel better.
I have been saying all season we have a good set of lads.
Even before his big scoring run Carver ran his socks of and got his head on everything even for lost causes.
Now he has company up front whith another willing runner in Archer his efforts are bearing fruit.
He has scored goals before I think he got about 19 for Chorley I their promotion season.
Also the change of coach has been dynamic with forwards ganging up to score.
Yesterday when they got a goal back at one time we would have sent a defender on to shore things up,
Now he sent three fast young attackers on to get the game out of sight.
Mind you it helps decision making when we ain’t got any defenders on the bench!
But to put three on showed great intent.
Well done to all involved all those forwards took the pressure of our defence they can’t score from their own half.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Excellent result and all round display against a full time team, heavily fancied to make the playoff’s. Their defeat at Chester was compounded by going down to 9 men at 1-0 down , so our result is far superior. They weren’t great at that back but were tricky and potentially dangerous up front.
I thought the positivity and great vocal support from the Jack Carr lads ( again) and all around the ground is unequivocally a twelth person and has helped inspire the team to get a third goal, when the game was threatening to become tense. IMO it’s easily the best rapport fans have had with (our young determined skilful) team , which I haven’t seen since our last mini cup run ( and then it was short lived) after our exit.
I’m hoping we continue to progress - I fancy us get at least a point at Leamington and hopefully have a real go at the FA Trophy, which we know will be difficult and very dependent on the luck of the draw "…"………..bootle at home will do for starters 🤨
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

One other point Liam’s interviews he’s always polite and complimentary about fellow managers the latest being Craig Elliot. I NEVER see this reciprocated by fellow managers about our manager and the team. So for those people who worry about our intellectually intuitive approach to game management then think again , it’s really all about winning whatever it takes just ask the Boston forward who was quite happy to cheat us by diving in the box 🧐 and I’m loving our much improved street wise approach , even time wasting putting up the nets 🤣🤣
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

TrickyDicky wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:24 pm
I’m hoping we continue to progress - I fancy us get at least a point at Leamington and hopefully have a real go at the FA Trophy, which we know will be difficult and very dependent on the luck of the draw "…"………..bootle at home will do for starters 🤨
My money is on a Conf North side, away.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:01 pm
Spennymoor. There are one or two lower division sides that would make a good away trip, but t's always bloody Spennymoor.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:31 pm
Ste_B wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:01 pm
Spennymoor. There are one or two lower division sides that would make a good away trip, but t's always bloody Spennymoor.
The new Gateshead...
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

badger wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:31 am
Any Port In A Storm wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:29 pm Terrific. Well deserved against a big physical team. McPhillips looks to have made a difference on the training pitch. Hope we can hold on to Carver. Conference and League Two clubs will be sniffing around.
Great win and we also want to get out of this league ,We will not do that be selling our best players. We have been down that road to often in the past.
Wholehearted agreement here......
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:24 pm
badger wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:31 am
Wholehearted agreement here......
Players won’t want to come here if they’re going to be forced to stay here forever. And those that are here will get upset, and eventually leave for free. Like Dion Charles.