Southport 4-1 Boston - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Re: Southport 4-1 Boston - Match Thread

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Terrific result! Well done, Liam and the lads.

I also have concerns over Carver leaving. Keeping him and Tharme are crucial if we are to surprise anyone this season.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Falkland yellow wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:21 pm Great win. Most visiting teams must see our league position and then wonder what's hit them, particularly having just conceded 4 goals.

Inspired use of a class loanee in Edwards. Played like a true Yellow. Quality.

Today yet again we were a team where the sum of the parts was greater than an opposition comprising better players.

And all of this without Bainbridge. It's apparent that McPhillips is having a significant influence and is clearly a class act.

Well done lads and thrilled for Carver.
Agreed, another entertaining game, if Boston are 5th our team has nothing to fear in this league......
Fred M
----------
----------

Post by Fred M »

Well done all the lads a great win against a very physical team, saying that when you play against Marcus Carver you know you in for a difficult afternoon, all great strickers find space in the box and Marcus sets a fine example his movement and pressure is top notch I hope he can continue this rich vain of form.The scouts will be flocking to Haigh Avenue I hope we can keep him for as long as possible.I must mention Rickets who made one of the goals with his shear pace and great cross for the goal a talented player who needs more minutes, keep it going Port and climb that table, Terry Mac doing a fantastic job since he came we are playing with confidence and are more organised great to see himself and Liam encouraging the players all the time we’ll done.
Route66
----------
----------

Post by Route66 »

Good all round performance. Carver is a prime example of how much being a goalscorer is down to confidence. The difference between last season and this is amazing. We seem to be much calmer as we start to pick up points which is only to be expected I suppose. It has also coincided with the arrival of Terry M. Well done to all players and staff. And particularly Marcus C. Onwards and upwards!
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

I, in contrast to a lot of posters, have no real concerns about Carver leaving- he's 28 and hasn't played league football for over 5 years, and his record at this level up until this season hasn't been fantastic- just 'workmanlike' and a good link up player. I agree this rich vein of form will be making some of the teams above us sit up and take notice but given his age and given that he could reasonably expect to score as many league goals this season as he has in his entire career to date so far he's not really the type of player I can imagine has many suitors, nor really the type to move on at the drop of a hat either.

I hope, at least 😂
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

couille du chien wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:11 pm Charlie Munro continues to get better,he looked class pre season,had a dodgy few games at first ,but has a good football brain,reminds me of the great Alan Wilson,well done MUN
Agreed
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

United make four changes - with Shiels, Ferguson, Green and J Preston coming into the starting XI.

Seven players unavailable to Craig Elliott today through injury or suspension - Duxbury, Wright Snr, Thanoj, Dimaio, Rollins, Lalkovic and Elliott.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

We probably shouldn't get too carried away with today's result. Boston seem to win at home and lose away, and have now lost four of their last five away games (the win being a 1-0 vs bottom-club Blyth, thanks to an own goal). Although the scoreline is certainly convincing.

Also agree with David re: Carver. I'm sure there will be interest but I'd imagine it would be limited.
Ry88
----------
----------

Post by Ry88 »

Cracking performance from Carver today showing exactly what you need to be a top forward in this division, plenty of running making life difficult for the Boston defenders topped with 3 very good finishes.

Re a move, Fylde are watching but hopefully he sees us as a more realistic project long term
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Another home win, our record at Haig Avenue is magnificent and to see over 1,000 in with what could only be about 30 visitors is testament to this.

I don't think this was a 4-1 game, the first half was even and at 2-1 they looked more likely to equalise. What I really liked was the subsitutions. I know Hmami was forced off and Edwards was not going to play the full ninety, but we threw on three attackers. Sometimes we fall into the trap of clinging on to dear life when we are ahead, it all ends up with a nervous ending and a backs to the wall job to get over the line. It was so refreshing to see positive changes made at that stage of the game, the two further goals were rewards for this. We are strong at home, we score freely, I have nothing against the dark arts of running the clock down and killing the game, but we showed we do not have to resort to that.

I thought Munro was excellent, he showed some good quality on the ball but importantly he was physically stronger today. He won his share of 50/50s that he was getting brushed out of a few matches ago. I suppose playing games has brought him up to the level required physically.

As for Carver, what can you say. He messed up a one on one at 0-0 when he should have squared it to Archer for a tap in, it is fair to say he made up for that! His movement is excellent, the goal from the cross looked simple, but he made sure he got in front of his man and timed his run. Lesser strikers would have been on their heels waiting for the ball.

The table is hard to read as everybody seems to have played different amounts of matches. We need to keep going and we can assess our chances at the turn of the year. Shaping up to be a decent league, there are no whipping boys with the bottom four all on nine points.
MrC
----------
----------

Post by MrC »

A great team performance from the lads today. Closing players down and backing up were continual features throughout the game. Thought there were too many aerial balls, but the change with 3 subs after the hour, brought many ground attacks that unsettled the Boston defence. Issac’s dart to the bye line led to another class Carver conversion. Well done Marcus on your hat-trick. It won’t be long before our first away win of the season. Up the Port!
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Re Carver I would love to see port stand firm if offers did come in for him. Would be nice for us to keep our best players fir a change and not be used as a stepping stone because who knows where the club could end up I honestly believe the current squad have what it takes to make playoffs.

Money talks unfortunately so keeping hold of our best players is an almost impossible task in the current climate.

Regards today what a fantastic victory and massive credit needs to go to Terry Mc as we look like a proper team now. He is streets ahead of what John McCarthy provided
tomherold
----------
----------

Post by tomherold »

We’ve had 4 good games and people think all our players are off to better sides 🤣

The team need to stay grounded and average 2 points per game into the new year. Let’s see where we are then.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I doubt a league team would splash out for a 28-year-old whose scoring record has been fitful until this season. But you never know. If somebody comes in with significant money we shouldn’t stand in his way - unless it’s some plastic club like Fylde!
This was a great individual performance by Marcus and a very good team performance. A few more results like this and we can begin to dream.
Great to see a good turnout today, and especially a lot more young fans. Pitiful numbers from Boston, which was a league team much more recently than us.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Great result. Still not out of the woods near the bottom but it's nice to see the good endeavours we've been putting into games are turning into wins consistently.

If we can convert the games in hand things start to look tasty.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

I suspect we may get some interest in the transfer window for a couple of our players, but Carver would be a little down the list. Tharme & Hmami probably more likely and Woods if he can get fit and get game time.

Who was the last player to score a league hattrick?
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Last player score hat trick guessing Morgs against Leamington 2 years ago me thinks
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Wasn't there, other commitments, great result, I like what I hear about the game,I like what I see when I've been, not getting carried away,but this is the best team we've had for a while, and now we're getting strong on the bench, keep it going lad's, up the port!!
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:30 pm Wasn't there, other commitments, great result, I like what I hear about the game,I like what I see when I've been, not getting carried away,but this is the best team we've had for a while, and now we're getting strong on the bench, keep it going lad's, up the port!!
What a difference a month makes
Wasn't there, didn't need to be,,it's all here on port chat,same old story, someone in that boardroom needs to wake up a smell the roses, quick

Yes,we give most teams I've seen this season, all better than us,I really good go,......and lost, we are bottom of the league pal,and we can all see why,so,yes,smell the roses
Last edited by Ralphy Rylance on Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
hoofball
----------
----------

Post by hoofball »

Great performance from the lads today, glad to come away from a game were we played very well. Well done to Marcus on his hat-trick and finally I would like to praise the referee today he took no rubbish from either team and let the game flow brilliant but was fair to both teams

UP THE PORT
LIAM WATSON'S YELLOW ARMY